Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Thumbing IT.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Thumbing IT.

Post by airfixpilot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:52 am

Many years ago when I was in the ATC (195 Grimsby sqn), I used to get a lift from hitch hiking from Immingham to Grimsby. Then back again to Immingham at 21.30 at night afterwards.
I was wondering if this hitch hiking still going on? . Knowing that the risks are small of getting a lift from an axe murderers, has anyone got a lift from anyone who they don't know lately? . I do see from time to time men with trade plates, for garages trying to get from A to B doing this.

If time is no object would you do hitch hiking if you did not have any other form of transport to get were you want to be? .

David
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

C24

Re: Thumbing IT.

Post by C24 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:47 am

No, I would prefer to walk. There are too many drivers of questionable ability, or under the influence of..., thieving bar strds and low lifers around.

That said, I've hitched around Middle East, North America, Europe& UK and given lifts to many people in the years prior to the mid seventies/early eighties.

Maybe it's because I could now not punch the skin of a rice pudding :roll:

An interesting question David, looking fed to seeing other opinions.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Bobcode

Post by Bobcode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:06 pm

I live close to RAF Honington and have on more than one occasion picked up a Regiment lad between Honington and Barnham. Not so prevalent now, hardly ever see them, maybe they have more cars these days. :lol:
My lad was RAF Regt. so was always happy to pick them up .

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:34 pm

I've never even considered it in my lifetime! Of all the times I've been desperate to get somewhere, the thought has never crossed my mind, I think it's not something I am ever likely to do either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Like C.24. hitchhiked in Europe in my younger days. No need for me to do it now, but I would always pick up someone hitching in uniform.

Return to “General Chat”