Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2017 / HIGHER FENCE

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
skywatch1

RIAT 2017 / HIGHER FENCE

Post by skywatch1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm

If your viewing / taking pictures etc... on the Rw 27 end, take an extra 'HIGH' step ladder, a Higher fence has been erected :@

bizfreeq

Re: RIAT 2017 / HIGHER FENCE

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:31 pm

That's because you shouldn't be in that area and are likely to be moved on anyway
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Spitfire88

Post by Spitfire88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

It's a public footpath, that we all use all year round, the only silly place to stand is under the 27 approach.

Fives

Post by Fives » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:04 pm

That is going to be some kind of conversation, him on his high step ladder and the officer at pavement level.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Spitfire88 wrote:It's a public footpath, that we all use all year round, the only silly place to stand is under the 27 approach.
If it's a public right of way, you have the right to pass and re-pass as often as you wish. You don't have the right to block or obstruct a right of way, and once they''ve been dragged away from their donuts and coffee I'd expect the rozzers to decide that erecting a step ladder is obstructing said right of way. You can argue your point of view before the beak if you wish, but probably best to not let it escalate that far unless you are very sure you're in the right.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 pm

What you really want is a pair of stilts and some long stripey trousers

Pune

Post by Pune » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Surely the easiest option is to buy a ticket and get the other side of the fence...
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

skywatch1

Post by skywatch1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi all, many thanks for your various comments, interesting.
Yes, it is a 'PUBLIC' foot path.
It just looks 'darn' minded as if they don't want spotters there so, is this fence a 'permanent' feature or... as to deter us a money making exercise ??
finally, the 'Stilts' option... :thumbs: :thumb: and you've got me thinking now ;)

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm

That side of the road has no footpath at all let alone a public one! They are there for the duration of the show to prevent anything like Shoreham ever happening again, or would you prefer loads of people to stand there then have an aircraft plough through them killing them all and subsequently killing airshows in this country?
I can't believe how utterly narrow minded some people are being! This is the price we have to pay to keep people safe and keep airshows as we know them, I'd call that quite a reasonable price under the current circumstances
Cheers
Mark

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Its an interesting situation and taking out of the equation the rights and wrongs or talks of - "Should have brought a ticket in advance" say you are one of the thousands that might be staying in one of the off field camps and watching and photographing the show from there, what if you are a spotter (reg/serial collector) what if you want to try to see or photograph the static and flight lines (Just briefly - not to stand on the roadside watching the show)

What are those folks supposed to do?

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

skywatch1

Post by skywatch1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Any Public event has it's risk's and we choose to attend / be there as we share the interest of 'Aviation'. I flew this morning in a micro light type over the Pusey Vale doing General handling so, we all take risk's.
God forbidding, should an air incident happen again at RIAT... it could effect any where as we've all seen and witnessed in previous years.
Enjoy the Show :)

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Any Public event has it's risk's and we choose to attend / be there as we share the interest of 'Aviation
Yes we do, and as attendees we are in a 'safe' and controlled area, those hanging around outside the fence are in neither and that is the point
Cheers
Mark

skywatch1

Post by skywatch1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Sorry Mark but, I took several pictures today Saturday of the Public climbing and standing on this fence to take pictures air side and the Police drove past and did 'Nothing'.
What a waste of RIAT...!! money to have this fence erected.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 pm

The extra fence probably seemed a good idea at the time. It not their fault that they were out witted by a load of free loaders

It amazes me that people moan that they can't see in for free!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Quite, very well said! In answer to SW1, I only relayed what was supposed to happen, if they fail to enforce it well that's their issue to solve, I was inside and thoroughly enjoyed my day, that i paid for that enables these freeloaders to actually have something to watch!
Cheers
Mark

StormsInAfrica

Post by StormsInAfrica » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

I bought a ticket and climbed the 27 fence.

I feel conflicted.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 pm

skywatch1 wrote:Sorry Mark but, I took several pictures today Saturday of the Public climbing and standing on this fence to take pictures air side and the Police drove past and did 'Nothing'.
What a waste of RIAT...!! money to have this fence erected.

You will always get people who in truth propbably dont give a dam about planes or airshows, and would never pay to go to one in thier life.
How can you inforce that? you cant stop the general publics noseyness to see whats happening with all this noise, traffic people - owe and those metal/wood things flying through the sky.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

slogen51 wrote:The extra fence probably seemed a good idea at the time. It not their fault that they were out witted by a load of free loaders

It amazes me that people moan that they can't see in for free!
You then get folks like myself and many many decent folk who paid to stay and watch the show from one of the many campsites around Fairford, whats the harm in walking down for ten minutes to the runway end to photograph(for logging purposes) then returning back to the campsite for the remainder of the show.

How is this a Free Loader?

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:12 am

Quite simply because you haven't paid to get in and therefore nothing has gone to the charity that the show supports! It isn't rocket science! You are benefiting from those of us that do pay, and by doing so keep the show going, as if we didn't pay to get in then you'd have sod all to watch free from the campsite and come down for 10 minutes and log! You've made absolutely no contribution whatsoever, ergo, a freeloader! Hope that clarifies it for you!
Cheers
Mark

Sonicboom

Post by Sonicboom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Boy there's some high horses rode on this forum! Just sayin'.

Return to “RAF Fairford”