Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
seven

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by seven » Thu May 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Not from France it won't.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 am

Some further updates to keep the participation list up to date.
The Gazelle Squadron confirm a two aircraft display with a single Gazelle on the ground at Scampton Airshow!
And from yesterday
Adding further to the international flavour we'll see at this year's Scampton Airshow, the Dutch have confirmed their attendance in the static display line up.
This means more fast jets to see at Scampton Airshow with the addition of two Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcons joining the static display. The F-16s join the Canadian CF-18 in the static park, with the Belgian F-16 , French Alpha Jet, RAF Typhoon and of course the Red Arrows all performing in the flying display, amongst many other acts
One of the original European customers for the F-16 in the 1970s, the Netherlands now operates a much smaller fleet of Fighting Falcons than was the case during the Cold War, but these are very capable multi-role assets following the MLU (Mid-Life Upgrade) programme. Two squadrons each at Volkel and Leeuwarden operate the Royal Netherlands Air Force's F-16s.
As well the an exhilarating 5 hour flying display, Scampton Airshow will give visitors the unique chance to walk amongst the aircraft in the static park and meet crews from around the world immersing them in a feast of aviation. Paul Sall, Airshow Director welcomes the Fighting Falcons to the line-up 'With the Canadian Air Force sending the CF-18 and now the Netherlands and their F-16 Fighting Falcons, the static line up is shaping up to be something very special.'

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:56 am

Another update yesterday (although this had been mentioned previously so not really news)
Visitors to the inaugural Scampton Airshow in September will be treated to a special - and rarely performed - flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight to mark its 60th anniversary.
The airshow, which takes place on September 9-10, is only one of three airshows in the UK to perform the 'Thompson Display', named after BBMF co-founder Wing Commander Peter Thompson.
The display will feature a variety of formation flypasts involving four BBMF Spitfires, during which they will fly alongside the BBMF's Lancaster bomber, one of only two in the world that are airworthy.
Featuring a range of historic warbirds, including a P-51D Mustang, Scampton Airshow will offer visitors the opportunity to immerse themselves not only in the county's rich aviation heritage but also that of RAF Scampton, where the legendary 617 'Dambusters' Squadron operated from.
The close relationship the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) enjoyed with the county during the Second World War will be represented by the presence of an RCAF CF-18 Hornet at September's event. Other notable aircraft taking part in the airshow include a Catalina flying boat, an F-16 Fighting Falcon from the Royal Netherlands Air Force, a French Alpha Jet, the Breitling Wingwalkers and, of course, the RAF Red Arrows.
In addition to the aircraft on display in the air and on the ground, visitors will be treated to a wide range of fun-filled family entertainment taking place on the airfield throughout the day.

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I am obviously getting old but hopefully not too cynical, but having read some people's comments about how RIAT participation has diminished (and I accept the reasons for such decline in aircraft represented as more than eloquently explained in that posting), I cannot but think back to RAF Biggin Hill Battle of Britain display in September 1975 which was free admission and an absolutely marvellous and entertaining air display by the RAF (we had an interesting and varied air force in those days). Such displays are never to be repeated, compared to the rather hyped-up and over-glossed marketing of events today (and indeed the fact that tickets have to be purchased). For this reason, and upon inspection of confirmed aircraft in attendance at RAF Scampton in September, I am loath to make the trip and expect to enjoy what little there is on display. What I may be naïve about is the difficulty with which any foreign air arms can be encouraged to participate in any great strength given commitments worldwide and the basic costs involved in such participation. We were obviously spoilt as enthusiasts in those days, with the bill picked up by the tax payer. I also note the generosity with which the Mildenhall Air Fete was conducted. That said, another way of looking at such shows staged by the RAF was that they were a way of saying 'thank you' to the British public for making such things possible in the first place and, in the latter case by the USAF, a way of staging good public relations in the UK which I guess started to break down at Greenham Common with the protests over the ground-based cruise missiles. I am not begrudging paying to see a very well organised and supported air display and indeed if Scampton was offering a mini RIAT (which clearly it isn't at the moment), I would be prepared to pay more for entry to the event. In truth, I enjoy a good air display from my home with frequent activity by Typhoons/F15s and, with the benefit of ADS-B, a whole lot more besides of great interest (admittedly not as close up as at an airport or air base and on that note who can hang around an airport these days without being moved on by the police for security reasons?). I am merely questioning whether or not we have seen the last of the good days where the airshow scene is concerned and, as some people have remarked, at which point they are curbed even further by air safety considerations/budgetary constraints.

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

I agree entirely with your view of things, however, I've been partly cynical since I was born & there is no way pretty much anything will be as good as it once was!
Scampton Show is merely a charade to appease the local populace for the loss of Waddington Show. Your average family will go to Scampton as their one & only air-show this year, get sunburnt/pneumonia, see the Red Arrows, get stickers & overpriced tat, get home penniless & knackered having had a great day!
You & I would only feel mugged even before we got there! :grr:
You are spot-on with your thoughts on day to day activity, I much prefer 'a day at the fence' to organised events these days. Even a day at Coningsby fence yields a greater variety of aircraft than the constant regurgitation of the same displays at different venues now on offer prior to & especially post-Shoreham. I can't even begin to imagine going to Sola, Norway on the back of ONE Starfighter, which then goes tech' before the weekend & end-up being 'treated' to the Storch ( Ex Peter Holloway/ Shuttleworth) Dakota (at Legends every year) Mustang (from Goodwood?) Vampires (detached to North Wield through Summer) Catalina (lives at Duxford) B-52 from Fairford & the Belgian F-16 that goes everywhere!....to name a few.
You pays your money & takes your choice. Obviously personal opinion prevails, but for me "Gone!...are the Good 'ol Days"

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

well said that man!!
Comfortably Numb

warthog56

Post by warthog56 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

It saddens me that some people are denigrating this airshow! I have been attending airshows since the mid 1960' s (the local RAFA event at Hucknall and the Barnstormers events at Tollerton which even attracted the Belgian "Slivers" F104 duo in 1971). My first "taste" of a full military show was the 1968 Battle of Britain show at Finningley. I seem to remember that it was free and it wasn't until the following year that charges were made - ten bob (50p) per car. That was the year commemorating the 50th anniversary of the formation of the RAF and I also recall a travelling event that visited both Nottingham and Birmingham (amongst other cities) - ground exhibits with flypasts during the week that the event was on. We had a large air force in those days and the military could afford to include shows as part of their training (and recruitment/public relations) programme. RAF shows, in those days, generally only had UK military participants (including the Fleet Air Arm) and only a few foreign aircraft participants. If you wanted to see foreign air forces (NATO) aircraft it meant a trip to a show at one of the several UK bases then housing the US Air Force. The flying displays though were pretty poor! It appears that the "heyday" of the "good old shows" that the moaners on here are referring to was just a brief spell - the late 1970's until the mid 1990's. By then, after the end of the "Cold War" countries were reducing their armed forces and that meant the end of having aircraft to spare for airshows - look no further than the current shortage of F16's experienced by the Dutch!

I don't know why people feel the need to moan about this airshow - we should be grateful that an event has now been reinstated close enough to the date of the Battle of Britain weekend. Gone are the days when several RAF airfields commemorated the event and were open to the public. No one is being forced to attend so stop complaining about what aircraft will be attending and the entry cost! The cost of staging an airshow nowadays is substantial especially the fixed costs (police, road signs, toilets, etc).They are probably comparable to those for Fairford. There's an additional cost as well for this show - if, as I've heard, that no cars are being allowed on site then the cost of shuttle buses from the showground parking area has to be included in the admission. I don't drive so will be using public transport from Nottingham to get the airfield! No doubt there will be hundreds of people watching outside the airfield (hopefully some distance away) who I regard as "freeloaders". The event is to raise money for charity - it's very sad that people want something for nothing even when the something is raising money for former service personnel. If people want to just watch military aircraft "from the fence" on weekdays then let them do so. It's like the hobby of fishing in that you don't know for certain what might "turn up" - in the "good old days" when we had air defence exercises we would spend hours just waiting to see what arrivals/attacks might happen. We had no internet announcing expected arrivals and very few people had UHF radios. There no digital cameras - many a photo' was a "throwaway" when trying to pan and take landing shots. We had plenty to moan about then!!! Just enjoy seeing what you can. With an airshow you at least know what to expect seeing. Stop begrudging those that want to give something to charity - did any of the moaners ever pay the £10/£20 to visit the popular "photo' calls" of military aircraft in the late 80's/early 90's? I did and was pleased to do so! At least it wasn't wasted on beer and nicotine!

Dan M

Post by Dan M » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:05 pm

A few good points there Warthog. However, todays showpiece show is of course RIAT, which all big shows will be measured against. When its organised by the same people who organise RIAT and tickets are sold at a comparable price, it will of course leave a bad taste in a few peoples mouths when they look at the participation list, which frankly is very poor in my view.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:28 pm

After reading the comments from others regarding this show I would like to put mine forward.
I would have to say that I am still undecided as to my verdict on the show. I have purchased a grandstand ticket for the Sunday and am camping locally arriving on the Saturday. I have still to decide if I will go to the Departures on the Monday but normally leave that to the final days to check weather etc.
I will form my verdict once I have visited the show as I take in more than just the flying display but the whole occasion. The airfield itself is stacked in history and as its the first one there they have to start with this years show and build from that. Waddington was a fantastic show and also brought in much needed visitors and revenue to its surrounding area. If we just stay away from these shows we risk the cancelling of future events on an ever decreasing list already. Even worse will be to stand on the other side of the fence to take photos and then cast negative feedback when the whole day was not experienced. The only way for the show to survive is for it to pay for itself and be a local success. Having said all this I do feel that the pricing is still pitched towards a "RIAT" day rather than a first show to be built on. Scampton can still pull off a good show with a few more big additions and a generous weekend of weather. I for one have my fingers crossed. I hope I can be positive after the show and give a balanced view of how I felt it all went.
:roll:

moxey

Post by moxey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 pm

I was at a country fair in east anglia earlier this year an got talking to the main man at the large modelling club he's been ask to do a 3hr slot at scampton show in the morning, to fill flying display, as they have space in the show, fair does to him for taking it on, but £80 for me an wife, don't think so, it's a shame being on door step, but I can put money to a better use

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:34 am

I was at a country fair in east anglia earlier this year an got talking to the main man at the large modelling club he's been ask to do a 3hr slot at scampton show in the morning, to fill flying display, as they have space in the show, fair does to him for taking it on, but £80 for me an wife, don't think so, it's a shame being on door step, but I can put money to a better use
No disrespect intended, but I do not believe that I shall be wowed by model aircraft flying. Seems a lot of money to spend to watch a 3 hour slot of what ostensibly I can watch from my local common land for free. I shall nevertheless be patient and hope that the RIAT team can attract more interest over the next few months which may sway people's decision to make the effort to support this event.

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello chaps, lots of varied and very valid points about the possibilities for the new airshow at Scampton in September.

If (unfairly) compared to RIAT, Scampton will seem lack-lustre, but if it is seen to be a similar event to RAF Cosford show (but with a longer runway) then it may be
deemed a success and undoubtedly it will improve in coming years as experience builds to being close to what Waddington was.

RIAT and Cosford attract lots of the same type of people the difference being that Cosford is seen to be a "local" show and RIAT more of a national event.

There is plenty of time for the RIAT team to get things aligned with the cost of entry at Scampton and it has the advantage of being an RAF show which should
offer some pulling power- some of the attendees at RIAT may even be persuaded to come back in September.

I imagine that once RIAT is out of the way the team may be bolstered somewhat and things accelerated to provide a suitable line-up, but as already said let's not
write it off without giving it a chance first.

Let's hope it goes well and adds another great weekend's event to the calendar whilst supporting the charities that are desperate for our help.

Droptank

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Taking cost aside for a moment, the fact that this airshow is being organised by the 'RIAT team' seems to have raised expectations in some, when to be fair this has never been badged or pretended to be another RIAT. Referring to it as being organised by the RIAT team is perhaps slightly misleading and therefore leading to the misconception that that same style and scale of show should be expected at Scampton.

The show is being set up and run by Scampton Airshow Ltd as a fundraising event for the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust (RAFCT). The RAFCT also stages the Royal International Air Tattoo, Royal Air Force Concerts, and other similar activities as well of course giving grants, funding scholarships and other awards as well as promoting the RAF through heritage and education (hence the themed areas seen at RIAT and what will be seen at Scampton). Putting on an airshow isn't the sole purpose of RAFCT.

Due to the new venue and the logistics of traffic management and the many 'unknowns until it happens (or not) on the day' elements of staging an airshow it has always been said that this year's Scampton airshow will be a relatively small affair to see how it all works and then build on this for future years. Hence the limited number of tickets available. Looking on the airshow calendar the only comparable shows that utilise a military airfield proving a range of military and civil, modern and vintage types to the scale planned for Scampton is perhaps Cosford and Yeovilton. Inevitably it will also be compared to the former Waddington shows due to its close proximity. Taking a look at the aircraft confirmed so far I would say that Scampton is shaping up to be comparable to all 3 of the shows listed above. That is taking into account we are still over two months away from show date and no doubt more aircraft will be confirmed in that timeframe. Looking down the list of confirmed aircraft (so far) the static is shaping up quite nicely. Canadian Hornet(!) with what will presumably be its only UK appearance this year, couple of Dutch F16s and two each of RAF Tornado and Typhoons and those who will recall latter Waddington airshows will realise we are not far from the fast jet line-up that their static could muster. The only UK display this year by the French Alpha Jet in the flying display may not be to everyone's taste but is nonetheless a nice addition and we have some fast jet action with Belgian F-16 and RAF Typhoon. Not show stoppers admittedly but then I recall some Waddington shows providing not much more in the flying display. There a few nice warbirds and vintage types in there as well.

The optimist in me says we may have a few nice additions still to come. We wouldn't want Scampton to steal RIATs thunder with a real gem until RIAT is firmly out of the way. August could be an interesting month. As long as expectations can be managed accordingly!

Making a comparison to other shows on the calendar I would say there is certainly something here to temp the aviation enthusiast, but enough to make it worth the entrance fee? For most it seems this will ultimately be the deciding factor.

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Well, I can eat my hat now having purchased a ticket for the show! I shall be watching developments with interest in the meantime.

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 pm

More updates, and as hoped for HHA will be rolling out some of its fleet for static display;
A TRULY UNIQUE LINE-UP AT SCAMPTON AIRSHOW!

This year's Scampton Airshow will reveal a static line-up you won't see anywhere else in the world! The inaugural Airshow will bring together the F-4F Phantom, Su-22M-4, Buccaneer S2B and the Hunter Mk.58 - a sight not to be missed!

Paul Sall, Airshow Director said 'All the Hawker Hunter Aviation aircraft will have seen venerable Service in the UK, Swiss Air Force or the Former East German Air Force and seeing these aircraft together will be a truly unique and a wonderful window into a bygone era of aviation'.

Hawker Hunter Aviation Ltd (HHA) based at RAF Scampton owns, operates and maintains a multiple-platform fleet of fast jets - which provides turnkey solutions to Government Agencies and Defence Contractors for the purpose of Trials Support & Trials Management; the provision of Aerial Threat Simulation & Mission Support Training and Aircraft Maintenance & Modification Services.

Founded in 2000, HHA jets are flown & maintained by former RAF, RN & Test Pilot personnel familiar with both trials management and the latest NATO training, systems and operational requirements. In addition, HHA's aircraft can operate on the UK military register, are fully deployable and integrate seamlessly with NATO procedures.

F-4 Phantom
A two seat supersonic fighter-bomber with a distinguished history with a number of Air Forces around the world.

Su-22M-4
The Su-22 is a Soviet-era fighter-bomber developed from the more basic Su-7. The NATO reporting name for the aircraft is 'Fitter' and it served for many years with the Soviet military and was exported around the world as far as South America and South East Asia.

Buccanner S2B
The Buccaneer epitomises the fast, low-level ground attack concept. Having enjoyed a successful career with the Royal Navy, the Buccaneer realised its true potential with the RAF and South African Air Force where it soon proved itself to be an immensely strong, manoeuvrable and reliable aircraft with a better speed, range and weapons carrying capability than many others.

Hunter Mk.58
Ex Swiss Air Force, the MK58 aircraft, have a performance capability in excess of many more modern ground attack aircraft.
Also confirmed;
The world-renowned Global Stars aerobatic display team will be thrilling airshow visitors at Scampton in September with their four-ship aerobatic display! They are a team of British aerobatic champions past and present, who now fly at airshows all over the world.

The colourful foursome use an innovative 'dotty' smoke system releasing smoke in short bursts, providing a unique looking display and will make for some great photo opportunities. They operate a mix of the world's best aerobatic aeroplanes and between them have decades of experience in competition aerobatic and display flying.
Paul Sall, Airshow Director said 'The Global Stars and their distinctive, colourful display aircraft are sure to be a firm family favourite at this year's show. Definitely one not to be missed!'

The Global Stars perform around the world and have visited India and China so far in 2017; their vibrant colours will be seen soaring through the skies this September at Scampton Airshow.

Dan M

Post by Dan M » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am

If the Fitter, Buc, and Phantom come under the same umbrella as the Hunter, how come they don't fly?

POL

Post by POL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 am

No need for them to, HHA keep them should the need for them arise.

TombsRIP

Post by TombsRIP » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:37 pm

For those who are only shelling out for the park & view on departure day instead of paying over £40 for the "pleasure" of the airshow days...
The HHA "almost but not quite museum collection" may not be graphable from the P&V enclosure. I suggested to the organisers that they could tow the Fitter/Bucc/Tomb past the P&V enclosure as thats aboutall they can do with these airframes. But needless to say it was a big NO NO indirectly from HHA. Guess it serves me right for not forking out the full allegedly extortionate whack with a deluxe enclosure experience thrown in as well.

I won't waste my petrol coming over the Pennines to see a canadian CF-18, an alphajet and 2 norwegian vampires...

Here endeth my rant.

MG

markw38

Post by markw38 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi, while i fully understand the points made by many of you on the show in September. Please remember one thing when giving your views negative or otherwise and that is the men and women of the armed forces who will be giving up their weekend to help run the event. I am sure some of them would rather be at home spending time with family and friends than being stuck at work having to smile for joe public, especially if they see some of the doom and gloom posts. I personally feel we should give the event a couple of years to find its feet and see how it develops, i'm sure the organisers are trying their best to deliver as good a show as possible but i would guess that due to it being a new show, that most air arms are probably a little unsure of committing to an event in its infancy when budgets are still stressed to the max. If organisers can deliver over next few years then im sure things will improve. Also please remember that Space on Scampton airfield is limited so that will also be a constraint the organisers will have to work too.
All the best.
Mark

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:18 am

Any one who attended fairford, or has bought from RAFCTE in the past should have just received an email with a discount code to enable £5 off the cost of an entry ticket.

Think i might give it ago now.

Return to “Scampton”