Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hyakuri 21.2.17 - a cracking Day!

Only modern military and government aviation can be posted in this section.
TAFFEVANS

Hyakuri 21.2.17 - a cracking Day!

Post by TAFFEVANS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 am

With 24hrs in Narita I decided to pop up to Hyakuri for the morning with the intention of catching a few of the newly resident 301 Hikotai. However, on arrival at approx. 0745 I couldn't get over how many Japanese Spotters were there. That got me wondering whether the 'Aggressors' were in Town. Without a scanner and the fact that the previous Day's weather had been severe with high winds it seemed that my luck was in with the arrival of 7 F-15's with I presume their support C-130 and a lone T-4. To top off the Day the resident Sqns launched 11 F-4's & a pleasant surprise was the ski equipped UH-60JA.
UH-60JA JG-43104
Even the Police made an appearance with BK117B JA-6651

atech

Re: Hyakuri 21.2.17 - a cracking Day!

Post by atech » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:57 am

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Out of interest, how did you travel from Narita to Hyakuri?

I tried something similar last year and trying to get transport at a reasonable cost was a nightmare.

TIA

Atech

anthony martin

Post by anthony martin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 am

That,s what i call a good day,s spotting :thumbs: :thumbs:

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 am

Stunning selection of shots :Wow: :Wow: ..very nice to see an F4 still in service :cool: :cool: .Regards Tim :thumb:

david14

Post by david14 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am

Very nice shots

TAFFEVANS

Post by TAFFEVANS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

atech wrote:Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Out of interest, how did you travel from Narita to Hyakuri?

I tried something similar last year and trying to get transport at a reasonable cost was a nightmare.

TIA

Atech
Hi, I normally hire a car from Times Car Rental at the Airport, normally works out at approx £75 per day which includes SatNav and 'Super' Insurance. You'll need an IDP (International Driving Permit) which you can obtain from the AA, and the best way to navigate is by using telephone numbers. Hyakuri will take you approx 1:30hr from Narita and you may expect £20 or so for tolls depending on your route. There are far more seasoned Spotters/Photographers on this forum which may be able to recommend better/cheaper deals, I work for an Airline so my Hotel's free and I only ever spend 24hrs there so I take the hit on slightly more expensive car rental, works for me. A good round trip from Narita is Hyakuri-45mins to Kasumigaura(Army)-Shimofusa(Navy P-3) which is again 45mins from Kasumigaura but very quiet, but Hyakuri is obviously a big draw by itself. Regards Taff.

atech

Post by atech » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, its something I will consider next time.

have been to Hyakuri several times and as you say its a big draw.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Taph :P

Great shots, buddy :thumbs:

Phanks phor posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Glad to see the Aggressors have arrived again this year although a week later than last!

As for travelling as Taff says car hire from Narita and a about 1 1/2 hour drive up,remembering to stop and pick up a set of stepladders on the way.
Kasumigaura is well worth checking out on the way,it can be quiet but then again you can get lucky and have a Cobra,Apache,Huey and Chinook all operating in the circuit at the same time,shooting with a 100-400 being more than enough for nice
shots.
I have always used Nissan Car Rental when i`ve been over and its worked out about £170 for 4 days rental including your sat nav etc ( I opt to use the japanese Map Code system for navigating) and as Taff mentioned its worth getting an ETC card
which automatically gets charged for toll roads and you pay the money due when you return the car rental.

FalconFlare

Post by FalconFlare » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:53 am

Very nice set!

p6025

Post by p6025 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 am

Hi Taff,

I assume these are all taken from the southern approach? Just on my way home after spending the week there. Hadn't planned to spend all week but after the AGRs arrived Tuesday things quietened down quickly, with everything packed up by mid afternoon. The locals were then night flying Wed/Thu which made for quiet mornings. Thursday was a bust weather wise everywhere and it wasn't till Friday that things really picked up on both fronts. Lots of locals present all week, though the towers were surprisingly quiet (was in there Mon through Wed in the mornings). When we met the owner on Monday morning the "small gift" of hand warmers was a clue as to what most the week would need...

Paul.

LTFT5

Post by LTFT5 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 am

Great post, what a good days spotting that must have been.
Andy
“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.”

TAFFEVANS

Post by TAFFEVANS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 am

p6025 wrote:Hi Taff,

I assume these are all taken from the southern approach? Just on my way home after spending the week there. Hadn't planned to spend all week but after the AGRs arrived Tuesday things quietened down quickly, with everything packed up by mid afternoon. The locals were then night flying Wed/Thu which made for quiet mornings. Thursday was a bust weather wise everywhere and it wasn't till Friday that things really picked up on both fronts. Lots of locals present all week, though the towers were surprisingly quiet (was in there Mon through Wed in the mornings). When we met the owner on Monday morning the "small gift" of hand warmers was a clue as to what most the week would need...

Paul.
Hi Paul, yes I was at the Southern approach in the rice field! After arriving in NRT on Monday evening I asked the Car Rental Staff to ring the Old Lady at the Peace Farm but they had no joy, so I first went to the North end for the first '501 departures and then down to the southern end. I literally left after the SAR '125 landed. Photography as you probably saw was challenging with either bright sunshine or direct shade! As you mentioned the weather on the Monday was sporty! Landing a '777 was interesting! I'm trying to get back next month but with the Cherry Blossom due to bloom it's looking a bit dodgy! Regards Taff.

Return to “Current Military Photography”