Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hard times again!

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
TankBuster

Hard times again!

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Looks like TVOC are having to wind things down a bit in order to secure 558's future :unsure:
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/853/ ... -Plan.html

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Fat Bob John

Re: Hard times again!

Post by Fat Bob John » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Not good news. Always wondered why they committed to having her at an operational airport with all the implications and restrictions that go with that. Also much as restoring the Canberra to the flight status is a great idea surely 558 is the priority.Sorry for all those losing their jobs, hopefully 558's future can be secured.

gibson617

Post by gibson617 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:30 pm

She should have retired to Bruntingthorpe with the other cold war jets . Doncaster was never a good idea and in time I fear 558 will disappear for good . Her retirement was not thought out very well in my humble opinion .
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EFS 18-135 f3.5/-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 7D Mk 2
Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM Mk 2

Skoshi

Post by Skoshi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:05 pm

gibson617 wrote:She should have retired to Bruntingthorpe with the other cold war jets . Doncaster was never a good idea and in time I fear 558 will disappear for good . Her retirement was not thought out very well in my humble opinion .
totally agree, been mis-managed since her retirement. Some of the spending is remarkable, Range Rovers for exec's and 70k a year, do the decent thing get her up and over to Brunty ASAP.

Seems some unrest as there is a possible request for an EGM over at VTTS.
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:34 pm

There certainly does appear to be a lack of 'planning ahead' when it comes to 558's future. TVOC seem to take each day for granted & plod along quite happily without anyone looking out to see what might be coming over the horizon, until it jumps up & bites them on the @rse!

In this case, getting booted out of hangar 3 and as a result having to stop all activities which provide a much needed income! Surely they must have seen this coming & I'm very surprised that no contingency plan had been put in place to safeguard the hangar tours etc that bring in the money. Instead they hit the panic button & pretty much mothball the entire operation!

This just screams of bad management & is nothing short of a complete & utter shambles :grr:.

TankBuster

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:54 am

Hard to disagree with that tankbuster.
I get the feeling that Doncaster has been run as a pension top up for those on the good salaries rather than for the good of the aircraft, its future lifespan and 'the people' who actually funded this whole thing.

The lack of full accountability is disconcerting, as is the lack of openness about all the issues they now face and how they are going to surmount them.

It's like they have literally put their head, emu style, in the sand, pretending to themselves that everything is ok, when quite simply it never was.

Thy need a shake up and a proper sensible business plan based around access, running days, and a good new home because sure as bears deficate in the woods, Doncaster isn't it.

jaydean

Post by jaydean » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 am

Donny Airport was the last place she should have ended up, and like many agree that a return to Brunty was a far better option. I still can't see how they will perform fast taxis for the public at an operational airport. That last taxi she performed was a secret as they didn't want the public to descend, so when/if they announce one whats going to happen? As i see it theres going to be too much of a conflict of interest with the airport authorities and the Police on one side, and the VTTS group on the other. I know where i'd put my money.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:46 am

Someone at Doncaster Sheffield Airport must be making plenty of money as amongst all the junk mail that has just come through my letter box is a glossy 16 page pamphlet trying to get me to book a holiday from there. :Oops:

dervish

Post by dervish » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 pm

TankBuster wrote:There certainly does appear to be a lack of 'planning ahead' when it comes to 558's future. TVOC seem to take each day for granted & plod along quite happily without anyone looking out to see what might be coming over the horizon, until it jumps up & bites them on the @rse!
Should be SNAFU then as the same two people responsible for the strategic planning are being kept on to continue doing that according to the press release?
The spirit of self-help is the root of all genuine growth in the individual......
Help from without is often enfeebling in its effects, but help from within invariably invigorates

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:22 pm

This all sounds like 'The Vulcan Association' carve/fcuk up all over again, except this time on a monumental scale :@

Easy to say now, but I for one could not fathom why she was not flown straight into 'Brunty' along with all those other cold war icons :(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 pm

paddyboy wrote:This all sounds like 'The Vulcan Association' carve/fcuk up all over again, except this time on a monumental scale :@

Easy to say now, but I for one could not fathom why she was not flown straight into 'Brunty' along with all those other cold war icons :(
I completely agree with that!
Doncaster was suitable for flight operations, but certainly not this phase of 558's life. This Etna project, or whatever it is they are planning should be taking place at Bruntingthorpe. Surely it would make sense to build this fandangled visitor centre there & provide a roof for all of the Cold War jets. None of what they're doing makes any sense at all :grr:.

TankBuster

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 am

Brunty was always the only sensible option for me. Why on earth they ever decided on Doncaster, I don't know, but it has proved to be a bit of a shambolic decision,
Now, if we could all see this coming ................. ?????

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Fastwalker

Post by Fastwalker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:25 pm

A one off ferry flight back to Bruntingthorpe before its to late!

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Let's start a movement.
VBTB.
I'm No.1.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

gibson617

Post by gibson617 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Totally agree with that . The need to get her to Bruntingthorpe is urgent and if not done very soon , XH558 will gradually be left to rot and then scrapped . Doncaster was a damn stupid place to retire and we , the supporters should have had a say in her fate . Its time to act now , i'm in , VBTB .
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EFS 18-135 f3.5/-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 7D Mk 2
Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM Mk 2

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Yup: VBTB and ASAP, if poss :Wow:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:39 pm

In my opinion the whole Trust managing XH558 has been a shambles from day one. No decision made about XH558 has been made with the interests of the aircraft and its future at heart and instead about lining the pockets of a certain few.

I wonder if there is some way of getting something like a 'freedom of information request' into where ALL of the money went, since day one, that was donated to the project over the years - I strongly suspect that if this information was obtained it would reveal some shocking results.

Lastly, VBTB is a lovely idea but - in my opinion - will never happen.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 pm

well said that man! that would make for interesting reading.
Comfortably Numb

PR9

Post by PR9 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:28 pm

More poor planning by VTS (Vulcan To Storage).

Feel so sorry for all the volunteers, engineers etc that have dedicated their time and effort only for short-sighted management to screw it up. (Again).
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Sazzle 65

Post by Sazzle 65 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 pm

A Relocation to Bruntingthorpe is a must before the Duchess suffers any deterioration, 558 deserves to be with her own ilk, aircraft of the same era, in the same place. I shudder to think of it ending up slowly rotting as a static at a retail park entrance gate. God forbid!

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”