Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Badgers and Mr Packham

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pune

Badgers and Mr Packham

Post by Pune » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:08 pm

If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Skoshi

Re: Badgers and Mr Packham

Post by Skoshi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:11 pm

tend to agree with him....
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:47 am

He might speak some sense sometimes but personally I can't abide him
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:17 am

deerhunter wrote:He might speak some sense sometimes but personally I can't abide him
I'm with you DH ... "Send him down"...
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:28 pm

We all have our views, and thankfully all differ somewhat..
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Here, here, and free speech thankfully

:thumb:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:58 pm

From what I can gather culling badgers in an area results in in increase in bovine TB in the surrounding areas in the short term, this diminishes over time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22614350
'According to computer modelling studies, herd-to-herd transmission of bovine TB in cattle accounts for 94% of cases.Scientific evidence from the randomised badger culling trials found around 6% of infected cattle catch TB directly from badgers. The figure rises to about 50%, when cattle infected by badgers pass it on to other herds, say scientists.'

it's been calculated that every badger kill has cost in total £4,000. In Wales a trial has been run to vaccinate badgers against bovine TB (cows can't be vaccinated as it interferes with the diagnostic skin test for TB), each vaccination costs a total of £662. So the requirement looks questionable to me, but the cost makes it look like an expensive job creation scheme with all the licensing and monitoring.

On a personal note I met Chris Packham a few times through work a few years ago. He speaks as he finds, doesn't court controversy for the sake of it, and has upset conservationists with some of his views.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 am

Totally agree with Chris
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Gadget Man

Post by Gadget Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:24 pm

In my opinion Mr Packman should be prosecuted for inciting violence and for writing B.S.
With his statement he is only considering one species of animal, the Badger.

Not the cattle (that have been and will be slaughtered) and other animals which can catch TB from infected Badgers.
If one takes the time to read up on the problem and realise the amount of time and money that has been spent on trying to solve the problem, which if left, could cause more devastation to animal and human lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_cu ... ed_Kingdom

I wish there was some other practical way of dealing with this, but we can’t escape the fact that the evidence supports the case for a controlled reduction of the badger population in areas worst affected by bovine TB. With the problem of TB spreading and no usable vaccine on the horizon, I’m strongly minded to allow controlled culling, carried out by groups of farmers and landowners, as part of a science-led and carefully managed policy of badger control.
—Caroline Spelman .On 19 July 2011, Caroline Spelman, the then Secretary of State for Environment.

Defra has said it wishes its policy for controlling TB in cattle to be science-led. There is a substantial body of scientific evidence that indicates that culling badgers will not be an effective or cost-effective policy.
The best informed independent scientific experts agree that culling on a large, long-term, scale will yield modest benefits and that it is likely to make things worse before they get better. It will also make things worse for farmers bordering on the cull areas.
—Lord Krebs, architect of the original Randomised Badger Culling Trials

So why is Mr Packman not working to solve the problem to the benefit of all?

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Can't stand the man but I agree that more evidence is needed before this cull goes wholesale. And in his defense, where exactly is he 'inciting violence' and warranting prosecution as you put it Gadget Man?
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Well said Gadget man

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Gadget Man

Post by Gadget Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:13 pm

bizfreeq wrote:Can't stand the man but I agree that more evidence is needed before this cull goes wholesale. And in his defense, where exactly is he 'inciting violence' and warranting prosecution as you put it Gadget Man?
This is what he says.
"It is both sad and shameful that when night falls and the setts of southern England stir their gentle folk will be needlessly slaughtered. That in spite of science and public will the wrath of ignorance will further darn and bleed our countryside of its riches of life. That brutalist thugs, liars and frauds will destroy our wildlife and dishonour our nations reputation as conservationists and animal lovers,” he said.

If that's not fighting talk to the cull protesters. Then I do not know what is?
Brutalist thugs, liars and frauds. who is he referring to is it Derfa?

If nothing is done and TB is allowed to run rampant over the countryside, will it not destroy our wildlife and dishonour our nations reputation as conservationists and animal lovers?

A big problem is there, and he is not doing any thing helpful at solving it, by saying what he is saying.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 pm

I think you are reading something there that I cannot see. There is absolutely nothing there that could be construed as inciting violence in the slightest.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

opsjockey

Post by opsjockey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Meh, i'll let my .308 decide.

Return to “General Chat”