Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hawker Hunter crashed at Shoreham

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
pawlee1

Re: Hawker Hunter crashed at Shoreham

Post by pawlee1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:02 pm

flyingslug_0 wrote:Very very sad. Hope people treat this thread with the respect it deserves. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
Indeed, very sad and tragic accident.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Oh my god - i've just watched that linked video! At first i thought it was some sort of car park until it was pointed out about trafic lights - and when i looked again you can see the road and traffic. Those poor people. This is a dark tragic day.

seven

Post by seven » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Poor reporting by the BBC, quoting that the 'Hunter flew over crowds' during the display. Also the pilot is now known, but i think its a little too soon.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Pete_uk

Post by Pete_uk » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:42 pm

The Phantom wrote:Oh my god - i've just watched that linked video! At first i thought it was some sort of car park until it was pointed out about trafic lights - and when i looked again you can see the road and traffic. Those poor people. This is a dark tragic day.

I know, I have just seen the video and its really grim. Shook me up for some reason. :'(

Dan M

Post by Dan M » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Pretty shocking footage, thoughts are with crew and people on the ground. Just terrible.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Very frustrating to hear the reporters clutching at straws and getting the facts wrong. Sky keep referring to the Hunter as a WW2 aircraft. I just wish they would hold fire and wait for the airshow officials and emergency services to make an official statement regarding the incident.

People have lost their lives today in a tragic airshow incident, and that is really is all the media need to say about it, up until a point when they know the real facts.

So sad to see those pictures, they say it all. Absolutely horrific :( .

RIP

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:01 pm

My friend was at the show and rang me in hysterics, clearly shaken up and seeing video and photo's now I can see why, a truly horrific incident. Another friend who lives in Shoreham also sent me a message on Facebook as it happened and I'll admit I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. As with all incidents reporting can sometimes be wrong but the BBC are confirming that 7 people have died on the ground and the pilot was pulled from the wreckage and taken to hospital. My thoughts are with those who have lost their lives, their family and friends, the pilot and of course anyone who had to witness such a terrifying event. It's truly shaken me up as well this one, I believe that no spectators (or any people on the ground) have been killed at a UK airshow since Farnborough.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Seven confirmed as killed, 1 in a critical condition. And that chaps, regardless of the cause, is the end of air shows as we know them. The last person killed at a British air show was back in the 1950s.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:12 pm

TankBuster wrote:Very frustrating to hear the reporters clutching at straws and getting the facts wrong. Sky keep referring to the Hunter as a WW2 aircraft. I just wish they would hold fire and wait for the airshow officials and emergency services to make an official statement regarding the incident.

People have lost their lives today in a tragic airshow incident, and that is really is all the media need to say about it, up until a point when they know the real facts.

So sad to see those pictures, they say it all. Absolutely horrific :( .

RIP

TankBuster
Look at them all clamouring for a deal on twitter, snouts in the trough :grr:

Tailplane

Post by Tailplane » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:18 pm

The BBC showed a picture of a light aircraft crash at Sandown and reported the pilot as recovering in hospital.

Even by bad aviation reporting standards, this is the pits.

1979bree

Post by 1979bree » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Tragic incident that is bound to change Airshows in the future. Even if the Aviation Authorities dont introduce restrictive rules Ive no doubt there will be massive Insurance repercussions.
As for poor reporting and Social Networking comments.....Ive seen and read some complete rubbish today including one idiot reporting that the aircraft had suffered a double engine flameout ????

thorny1a

Post by thorny1a » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 pm

This was the first time I have witnessed such a tragic crash at an airshow. Everyone with a passion for aviation realises that there is always potential for things to go wrong, but to see it with your own eyes just hits home so much more. The applause from the crowd to the subsequent flypast of the Sea Vixon & XH558 was as spontaneous as it was moving. I have a ticket for tomorrow's show, so no matter if it goes ahead or not, I'll place some flowers by the control tower or near the entrance. It feels like a pretty insignificant gesture, but just such a tragic accident & horrific circumstances for all those families who have lost loved one's & those injured. My thoughts & prayers to the pilot too, doing a job he undoubtedly had great pride & passion for, displaying that beautiful aircraft to the public.
- RAF Coltishall - Gone but never forgotten
- Norfolk. Nelson's County

Mark Owen

Post by Mark Owen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 pm

thorny1a wrote:This was the first time I have witnessed such a tragic crash at an airshow. Everyone with a passion for aviation realises that there is always potential for things to go wrong, but to see it with your own eyes just hits home so much more. The applause from the crowd to the subsequent flypast of the Sea Vixon & XH558 was as spontaneous as it was moving. I have a ticket for tomorrow's show, so no matter if it goes ahead or not, I'll place some flowers by the control tower or near the entrance. It feels like a pretty insignificant gesture, but just such a tragic accident & horrific circumstances for all those families who have lost loved one's & those injured. My thoughts & prayers to the pilot too, doing a job he undoubtedly had great pride & passion for, displaying that beautiful aircraft to the public.

Tomorrows show has been cancelled conformed by the organisers on Sky News.

Regards.

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Owen on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Owen.

Jaymer15

Post by Jaymer15 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Sky News has just reported that Sussex Police will be giving an update at 8:45pm.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:52 pm

page_verify wrote:Seven confirmed as killed, 1 in a critical condition. And that chaps, regardless of the cause, is the end of air shows as we know them. The last person killed at a British air show was back in the 1950s.
Biggin Hill 1979?

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 pm

I thought the last incident was the DH.110 crash at Farnborough in 1952.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
page_verify wrote:Seven confirmed as killed, 1 in a critical condition. And that chaps, regardless of the cause, is the end of air shows as we know them. The last person killed at a British air show was back in the 1950s.
Biggin Hill 1979?

There's a photo on the ITV news site that shows the Hunter moments from impact. Standing at the side of the A27 outside the Sussex Pad Hotel are about 50 people. They couldn't have been any more than 20 meters from the impact, how the hell the death wasn't considerably more is a miracle.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-08-2 ... m-airshow/
Last edited by Thunder on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes I remember the 1977 crash at Biggin between DH82 G-ANDE and Bell 206 G-AVSN,

Tony

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Thunder wrote:
ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Biggin Hill 1979?
Was that the collision between a helicopter and a Tiger Moth? If so, it didn't involve any spectators.

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 pm

No spectators as such but I believe the passengers on board the Bell were on a 'joyride'

TT

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”