Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Ian Allan Tours

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
powerslave

Ian Allan Tours

Post by powerslave » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Hello
Has anyone been on one of the above tours with Ian Allan.
I see there is one to Red Flag and Fallon next July,its the only way i'll ever get into the base during a Red Flag,and Fallon is way to far out in the sticks to make my own way there.
Wondered what is the trip like,prices etc.

Thanks
Ian

XV370

Re: Ian Allan Tours

Post by XV370 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Not been on any of their tours but have spoken to people who have. Not heard any complaints from them but they are rather expensive compared to some other tours available from other aviation tour companies. They tend to book into the better standard hotels so that probably bumps the prices up a bit.

If you are happy to pay the prices listed for their tours I am sure you will have a good time but if you are working to a specific budget you might want to look elsewhere.

JamesL093

Post by JamesL093 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi,

Wouldn't go with Ian Allan, too expensive and been told several stories by people who have been with him before and said they wouldn't go with him again. If you want some good tours to go on visit http://forestaviationtours.co.uk/about-fat/ great value for money!

Hope that helps

James

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Ian Allan Tours has been operating for years, I went on trip with them to Soesterberg Airshow back in 1980; plus they’re ABTA, ATOL protected like most travel companies.

At Newark Air Museum we work with them on inbound trips like their “Pacific Wings Grand Aviation Tour of England”, which brings in aviation enthusiasts from Australia and New Zealand.

Here’s a bit about their company history http://www.ianallan.com/group/

I cannot add anything about their Nellis and Fallon tours though!
Last edited by NAM Updater on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:02 am

Thanks all,would much rather do the bases on my own which I have done in the past only from outside though.
Would love to get inside Nellis and Fallon.
I know what the weather would be like in July there ,it would be unbearable.

Ian

4Aviation

Post by 4Aviation » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:34 am

We have never been on any Ian Allan or Forest Aviation tours so we cannot comment on them.

We have organised and run over 100 4Aviation tours though! :thumbs:

Have a look at our (work in progress) tour schedule for 2015 here; http://www.4aviation.nl/reizen.html

4Aviation is a proud sponsor of this forum!

Regards,

Arnold, Jurgen and Stefan
Sincerely,

Arnold, Jurgen & Stefan

Image @ Image @ Image

acsmith117

Post by acsmith117 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:10 am

Have never been on an Ian Allen tour but they are not the cheapest if you are working to a budget.

I have travelled with the 4Aviation guys and would highly recommend them.

Andy

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm

powerslave wrote:Hello
I see there is one to Red Flag and Fallon next July,its the only way i'll ever get into the base during a Red Flag,and Fallon is way to far out in the sticks to make my own way there. Wondered what is the trip like,prices etc. Thanks Ian
Been on quite a few Ian Allan tours, but these days only if it was something special that i couldn't do by myself. Going around with a large group can be a real pain, especially when it comes to photography! Contact Dinsdale and ask him what base access is (and will be) Confirmed for Nellis and Fallon! I would stick my neck out and say the only way you'll ever get into Nellis during a Red Flag is with 'media' access, and not with any tour group. Good luck.
Dieu et mon droit. In hoc signo vinces

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm

SaudiKev wrote:
I see there is one to Red Flag and Fallon next July,its the only way i'll ever get into the base during a Red Flag,and Fallon is way to far out in the sticks to make my own way there. Wondered what is the trip like,prices etc. Thanks Ian
Been on quite a few Ian Allan tours, but these days only if it was something special that i couldn't do by myself. Going around with a large group can be a real pain, especially when it comes to photography! Contact Dinsdale and ask him what base access is (and will be) Confirmed for Nellis and Fallon! I would stick my neck out and say the only way you'll ever get into Nellis during a Red Flag is with 'media' access, and not with any tour group. Good luck.
Correct Kev, no chance of getting into a Red Flag unless media acces is given and that won't happen for an Ian Allan group. You'll be photographing from outside. Fallon shouldn't be a problem though
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Like Saudi Kev, I have been on quite a few Ian Allen tours , though some years ago now. Found them excellent, and know Graham Dinsdale quite well. If something special, like Oshkosh, my late friend David Reader, [who some on here might have known] and I did it on our own.

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 pm

nellis6 wrote:
SaudiKev wrote:
Correct Kev, no chance of getting into a Red Flag unless media acces is given and that won't happen for an Ian Allan group. You'll be photographing from outside. Fallon shouldn't be a problem though
Thanks for that,i'll forgot that then,i've been to Nellis a few times before and made my own way there with car hire and shot from the outside.
I'm not paying over the odds to stay outside,plus i'd rather be by myself and take it all in.

ian

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks for that,i'll forgot that then,i've been to Nellis a few times before and made my own way there with car hire and shot from the outside.
I'm not paying over the odds to stay outside,plus i'd rather be by myself and take it all in. ian
I think thats wise, Ian. As you'll know then, you often need to quickly change position outside at Nellis for the best shots. Either along the road outside the speedway or down to East Cheyenne after a runway change. You just couldn't do that with a coach and a large group.
Have you ever tried for media access during a Flag?
Dieu et mon droit. In hoc signo vinces

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 am

Hi Kev
That's is one thing I would love to do media access but I've no idea how to get it,also the RF s are always during bad times of the year for me and my holidays at work.
If only they would have one in Sept.
Like I say I've been to Nellis,three or four times on the speedway but never when a Red Flag has been on,Green Flag but not a Red.

Ian

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”