Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Wasp helicopter damaged in transit!

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

Wasp helicopter damaged in transit!

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi all,
I've just picked this up on the internet news!
Apparently, a lorry which was in the midst of transporting a Wasp HAS Mk1 was involved in the clipping of the corner of a hedge at HMS Sultan, Gosport, Hampshire.
They do not know at the moment whether it was on it's way to a museum or a scrap yard, however, it was damaged, as was the cage that was carrying it as it fell over onto the ground. RN authorities say it's nothing to do with them and it is being investigated as a civil matter by the Police.
It seems that the helo involved was the one which was involved as a sub-hunter during the Falklands War (1982) when it disabled the Argentine ship the 'Santa Fe'
Let's hope that it was museum bound and not for the scrap yard! --Paul

Mike

Re: Wasp helicopter damaged in transit!

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Already posted here in the correct place :- viewtopic.php?f=287&t=101067

Malfatron Malkovic

Post by Malfatron Malkovic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Mike wrote:Already posted here in the correct place :- viewtopic.php?f=287&t=101067
Maybe so. However the particular cab in question was operationally based at Culdrose during it's service career, hence the link.
Maybe a little too tenuous for some, but a link none-the-less.

Good find Paul, well done and thanks for the news. I've a snap somewhere of the cab, shortly after it's restoration, i'll see if i can find it for you.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Malf,
Yes, many thanks for that - I thought that it would interest us down in our neck of the woods, (as well as elsewhere in the Southwest, such as at Yeovilton etc!!)! - I'm glad that you know the one concerned & a pic would be brilliant!! --Paul :thumb:
Mike - thanks for the info - it seems that I missed it!! (do you watch out for this sort of thing all of the time!!) :O :whistle: :O

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote: Mike - thanks for the info - it seems that I missed it!! (do you watch out for this sort of thing all of the time!!) :O :whistle: :O
Certainly not !

I think you'll find that it's been based elsewhere too, it's in my Portland log of July 1965. :P

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Not to mention various stays at Wroughton when its various ship(s) were undergoing maintenance/refits/etc. ;)

Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "441" code belonged to HMS Falmouth.

Incidentally, I have XS568 logged at Portland on 06/10/1980 when it was coded "415" of HMS Hydra's flight.
Cheers, Bob

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Mike & rh226,
Many thanks to you both for your very interesting comments - it looks like this particular helicopter has been around for a very long time indeed!! --Paul :thumb:

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:23 pm

You're right there, Paul!! A week ago yesterday (i.e. the 10th) was its 50th anniversary of delivery (credit UK Serials). :)
Cheers, Bob

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm

I also have it visiting Edinburgh on 05/04/76, no code in the log - so presumably uncoded. :)

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Mike wrote:I also have it visiting Edinburgh on 05/04/76, no code in the log - so presumably uncoded. :)
Ah.. but surely this should be posted in the Scottish section mike??! Not in the southwest section :whistle:

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Er, buzzer...I don't think that FC was going in 1976. :whistle: So, he could not have posted it. ;)
Last edited by rh226 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Bob

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:09 pm

buzzer wrote:
Mike wrote:I also have it visiting Edinburgh on 05/04/76, no code in the log - so presumably uncoded. :)
Ah.. but surely this should be posted in the Scottish section mike??! Not in the southwest section :whistle:
No need to be so pedantic, Buzzer...................and stop calling me Shirley. :P :lol:

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Mike wrote:
buzzer wrote:
No need to be so pedantic, Buzzer...................and stop calling me Shirley. :P :lol:
PEDANTIC? ? Me... never! :halo:
So Shirley. . I mean mike :lol: has anyone worked out where it was ment to be going before its little bump? ?

Malfatron Malkovic

Post by Malfatron Malkovic » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote:Hi Malf,
Yes, many thanks for that - I thought that it would interest us down in our neck of the woods, (as well as elsewhere in the Southwest, such as at Yeovilton etc!!)! - I'm glad that you know the one concerned & a pic would be brilliant!! --Paul :thumb:
Mike - thanks for the info - it seems that I missed it!! (do you watch out for this sort of thing all of the time!!) :O :whistle: :O
Here you are, chiefy!

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Malf,
What a superb photograph that you've managed to get of it and very well done - it may be in a bit of a mess now, but then it was all shiny and new!!
Another brilliant shot for posterity!! --Paul :clap: :clap:

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:30 pm

And here is a brief accident report of its final ditching off Belize on 28 October 1982 - from HMS Falmouth.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=156955.

Have a look at the "helis.com" link provided as it gives a little more of its operational history.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”