Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Opinions requested

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
Coningsby MCO

Opinions requested

Post by Coningsby MCO » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Good evening,

I suspect many of you are aware that we hold a Families Day every couple of years. For the last couple of events we have had an enthusiasts event on the day before. This year, for a variety of reasons, we are looking at alternatives to the enthusiast day. One of the ideas being kicked around is a night shoot, there may be other options out there. What do you think? If you were holding a night shoot at CON, What would you do? Where would you do it? What would you do to make it different and interesting? If not a night shoot what other event would be worth attending? Finally, and unfortunately, what would be a fair price to pay?

Thanks,

Jim
Visit our website - http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafconingsby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Twitter as @RAFCGY

SG1

Re: Opinions requested

Post by SG1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 pm

A night or day shoot with the Lanc and those great big bombs that you have at the side of it, if you have the trollies for them that is.
And that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity,
from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been,
and are being, evolved.

Colin

Post by Colin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm sure as you have mentioned that there are reasons for rethinking the Enthusiasts event but I'm a firm believer if it's not broke don't fix it. As a member of Cleveland Aviation Society who get invites to this event I know that a night shoot would not interest probably 75% of our members who would normally attend the event. As the event is always advertised as a Charitable event my thoughts are that less people would be inclined to attend the night shoot so reducing revenue brought in.
The question with regard to what is a fair price will always bring up a multitude of debates with Enthusiasts comparing costs to attending sporting events Air shows etc.
Pricing for past events have in my mind been OK

Colin

Typhoon29

Post by Typhoon29 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 pm

Having been lucky enough to get a ticket for the last enthusiat day which was very enjoyable I think an evening shoot is a good idea but for me what made it so good was the flying element being close to operating aircraft. This would be a shame to loose that part. I'm sure what ever is organised it will be a great event, as for the cost I think £15-£20 is a fair price.

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:39 am

I would probably attend a night shoot if it was on offer, but would much prefer a daytime event. I have been to the last two enthusiasts days and thought they were excellent. £15 seems about right.
Grahame W

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 am

I have to agree, a day time event would interest me more than a night shoot.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

"Flexibility is the key to air power"

rich
Location: North East Lincolnshire. RAF Coningsby Spotter Watch.

Post by rich » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 am

I have been to a previous enthusiasts day and very much enjoyed it, and would certainly attend another if it was arranged and I could obtain a ticket, regards an evening photo shoot afraid that's not for me.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:48 am

A late afternoon / sunset displays, followed by an evening shoot (especially with the Lanc included), would be fantastic. Personally I'd love to try that star trails with a phoon in..........

I'd happily pay up to £25 for a good afternoon/early evening.

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am

First Jim
Can I thank you fror adviseing us so early on I for one do not take photos just take numbers and like a have good look around on the hangars as I need your store aircraft are these going to fly? Can you merge both events into one like Cottersmore did with TTTE and made good sum of money for funds or let the spotters in early on for a certain time before your event with photos there are a lot of places on the south side where you can take photos and behind the sun
Last edited by britaylor on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am

I've always thought a night shoot on an operational RAF base would be an excellent idea. As for event the Lanc & a couple of other BOB Flt airframes would love great under the night sky, also a fully tooled up Typhoon outside its HAS. The main problem would be if held in June it wouldn't get fully dark till 10pm, which could put a number of people off, particularly if they are travelling a long way. Maybe it could be held earlier? I think it could prove to be very popular though, just look at the attendances from the Northolt night shoots? I would say a £20 admission price would be acceptable.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am

Night shoot, day shoot, any for me
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

John W

Post by John W » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:47 pm

A day time event for me, and would happily pay the going rate.

Regards,

John.

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:49 pm

what makes enthusiasts day great for me is the access to the base and closeness to operation aircarft, this is at the end of the day what we fence dweller try and do on a daily basis, get as close as poss.

Id attend what ever is on offer, a night shoot is a great idea, but im not sure id like it to replace the day visit

tornado6

Post by tornado6 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 pm

id prefere a day shoot not used to doing nights just getting in to all this but will go with what the others want i think about £15 would be about right or some wherec in the middle i suppose

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

A mid-afternoon photocall that carries through dusk to darkness would be my choice, with the aircraft well positioned for clean images, and if it doesn't rain then perhaps a wet-down for the area around one (or more) aircraft (for reflections especially for the dusk/night period) would be just awesome!!

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Move the spotters day to a Sunday and make it a weekend airshow in September...
Growing old disgracefully

The_Edge

Post by The_Edge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 pm

It would be a day shoot for me too
Although a performance take off by a Typhoon in the evening light might be interesting!

Regards

Gary
At the end of the day..it gets dark and you cant see!!!!

JONLITE06

Post by JONLITE06 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Daylight only for me......the problem has always been.......how to get a ticket!!It always seems that you have to know the right people! :(
Last edited by JONLITE06 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Would be nice to see the open day's back like in the 90s.
the day time event would still be best, seem a lot of night time shoots over the year the Lanc nights shoots can be had down the road at east Kirby.

milky_01

Post by milky_01 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 pm

What about a Queens review of the RAF with 1 of each Sqn, It is always around the Queens Birthday flypast
so the timings would be right.

Regards

Kevin
Coningsby website http://milky01.co.uk
Follow Me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/milky01

Return to “RAF Coningsby”