Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Possibly a Daft Question

Any questions on modelling techniques? Post your query here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

aviationcafe

Possibly a Daft Question

Post by aviationcafe » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi,

I've been currently painting/building the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a for a while now, and here's where the daft question comes in...

Instead of painting it in the scheme that's on the box (P9495), I started painting it with a black and white underside (P9374), the main question is I've tried numerous different paint's now including the one from the 1/72 Airfix Hawk, and the Matt and Satin ones (on 3 different spitfires) and none of them seem to come out like the black does, also another daft question what would the best way be of getting a perfect straight line down the middle, I've tried various ways of masking tape but it always seems to encroach either the black or white area, I've added a photo so you can see what I mean:

Thanks in advance

John

tc2324

Re: Possibly a Daft Question

Post by tc2324 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Hey John,

IMO blacks black. I used humbrol matt black rattle can on mine a few weeks back and it came out fine.

As for the straight line, which tape are you using? Tamiya is good, you just need to make sure it`s pressed down firmly. If you get overspill I`d just let it dry completely and then reverse the tape and paint over it, (if that make sense?).
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Return to “Technical - Tools and Tips/Walkrounds”