Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Spadeadam 2011/2014

johnhowe

Re: F.A.C Exercises & Notams for Spadeadam 2012

Post by johnhowe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 pm

A lot of radio traffic on Spadeadam ICF some sounded with propeller noise C130?. and foreign accents and I don't mean north of the border either.

http://www.scramble.nl/sis-sum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Tac Blaze gets a mention.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Friday the 26th, October, popped round to Carlisle Airport, Dutch arriving fuller report on the Tac Blaze thread.

On radio as I arrived at Wiley Syke was a female in Marham 41 seemed to have confused Spadeadam for Otterburn.

Today was a quality day rather than a quantity day just 2 T2 Hawks & two C130s.

The two hawks Destroy 1 & 2. flew one low level FRA over Prior Lancy and headed northbound.

The first C130 was Norwegian callsign Norwegian 335 G flew medium level EW only glimpses of
low level east of Berry Hill departed after 20 minutes to home plate.

The second C130 was an RAF C130 Ascot 705 he flew so low on occasions I thought he was going to land and
do a Pembrey. On a couple of passes he was bracketted by smokey sams. As a spotter I have always had three
favourites Lighting, SR 71 and then the C130, its not very often you get to see an aerobatic display by the Pilot
of a C130. The last one was at Fairford I think it was 1986 when a Swedish C130 on arrival offered to commence
his display without authorisation the pilot looped and rolled the C130 of course the flying committee soon put a
stop to that.

Seen at Spadeadam on 1st, April.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTOhQGdXaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by johnhowe on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warrior2035

Post by warrior2035 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:41 pm

There is a photograph of today's Norwegian C130 dodging Smokey SAMs at http://www.Facebook.com/defencephotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Just for a change today Wednesday the 7th, November, 2012 instead of the usual Tac-Blaze Helicopters. A Warton based Typhoon IPA 6 ZJ 938 visited Spadeadam this afternoon flown by The Chief Test Pilot doing Trials work.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Thursday the 8th, November, 2012, Wiley Syke overflowing with vehicles, full contingent of Thursday Boys.

We eventually heard on the scanners that a Chinook and 3 Apaches had taken off from Carlisle heading for The

Spadeadam Area, we eventually saw them on the northern part of the range but only casual glimpses and all

four flew off to Otterburn.

Spadeadam has a climate of its very own and today was no exception howling cold northerly wind with only

occsasional glimpses of the sun but mercifully no rain.

Rumours were rife that there could be activity in the gorge but as time passed by nobody ventured in that

direction.

Just before 2.0pm the 4 Dutch Helicopters returned from Otterburn first the Chinook who flew ultra low level

opposite to the second layby and headed for the gorge but disappeared behind tree line at the back of the gorge,

you've guessed it two Apaches actually flew the gorge and one flew in front of the Afghan Village.

We had had enough by 2.0pm and headed for Carlisle Airport.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 pm

We were treated too a lot of interesting flying by the Dutch Chinooks, I know this is an Airshow Demo but this is one of the best I have seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYw9YFR ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; THe thumb nails lead to Troop Exfil and Infil in Afghanistan.

johnhowe

Re: Action at RAF Spadeadam in 2013

Post by johnhowe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm

After being de-activated since 20th, December, 2012. D510/D510A are activated from 09.00am on The 3rd January, 2013.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:17 am

Hi John, surely the Hawks "Destroy" were T1s not T2s?? as im sure 100 Sqdn dont have any T2's, not for a few years anyway.

Cheers
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 pm

My first visit to Spadeadam in 2013.

11.30am to noon, Army Air 737 Westland Lynx in the overhead at Wiley Syke firing flares, Smokey Sams fired from

Wiley Syke Compound.

After lunch the Lynx operated further in the range due to other range traffic.

13.45pm one of my favourite aircraft arrived to do EW with the various threats within the Range. Ascot 47 did'nt

hear all the callsign, was on the range for about 30 minutes, it was of course a C 130 Hercules. Another superb

flying display, whilst the C 130 was flying low level a Tornado GR 4 Apollo callsign was doing high level EW,

later dropped down to low level for FRA on Berry Hill an attack east to west with a further reattack north to

south an went en route.

PS I do like the new red and white 30 foot control arrived in situ early February, should make for a nice juicy

target, must be able to see it from miles especially from 50,000 feet or so.

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 pm

D510 & D510A Will be deactivated from 9.0am Monday the 4th, March 2013 to 2.0pm Thursday the 7th March, 2013.

However both D 510 & D510A will be additionally active from 17.00 to 22.00pm on Monday the 4th March, 2013
SFC to 5500 feet.

warrior2035

Post by warrior2035 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 pm

What might the NOTAM indicate, John? Why use an EW range at night as the effects are identical day/night. Could it be flare trials?

Chris Procter

Post by Chris Procter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:18 pm

warrior2035 wrote:Why use an EW range at night as the effects are identical day/night. Could it be flare trials?
because the majority of aircraft attacks happen when its dark so hence the need for training in the dark

warrior2035

Post by warrior2035 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

I thought EW attack is non-visual

michael1970

Post by michael1970 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Well it maybe deactivated but that doesn't mean it's dead.
Last hour lossi 41 and ascot 703 have been in the range.
No signs of any FAC yet but the EW kits are being fired up as I type.

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

But by 5PM it was still seemingly as quiet as a mosquito's bite and as cold as iced beer!
Still, I had a good explore of the gorge in the eternal search for the best location to photograph the Dutch helicopters flying low up or down the gorge (and for those that want the answer . . . there isn't one, as the tight turns of the gorge, the position of the sunlight, the opportunity to get heads up about their ingress, etc., etc. all have varying affects on the individual potentially good spots!)
Light although sunny wasn't too good for aircraft photos, and photo opportunities today were minimal.
If I'm out I'm Just Swanning Around taking photos!
So give a 'Like' to my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Duane Hewitt

Post by Duane Hewitt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

catkins wrote:But by 5PM it was still seemingly as quiet as a mosquito's bite and as cold as iced beer!
Still, I had a good explore of the gorge in the eternal search for the best location to photograph the Dutch helicopters flying low up or down the gorge (and for those that want the answer . . . there isn't one, as the tight turns of the gorge, the position of the sunlight, the opportunity to get heads up about their ingress, etc., etc. all have varying affects on the individual potentially good spots!)
Light although sunny wasn't too good for aircraft photos, and photo opportunities today were minimal.
Chris, this dilemma is forever going to hamper the Gorge for being a hard location. I have seen a fence style on the south side in the 1/2 o clock position as you look at the waterfall from the north side which may suggest a footpath of some description on the south side. If you can handrail the treeline on the south side to exactly the same position over the waterfall or further you may have some luck with the sun. This however will leave you absolutely open to a surprise roll in from Gilsland which you will know nothing about, however if they are rolling in from the direct west, north or east you could get some good heads up and certainly a different aspect. May recce it when I'm next back.
I've posted on the Cumbria Av'n facebook but I've heard from my mate in the RNLAF that 8-28 April are the planned Tac Blaze Dates.

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Duane:
Thanks for that - agree re fence style location and very few locations that give you opportunities for gorge and proximity to other action. Most spots lock you into that location with little warning and, once helicopters are past, no opportunity to get to another nearby location for photographing the more normal action. So all eggs in one basket! Found one spot further up that could work but . . .
Re TAC Blaze - yes I heard today similar news so thats really hopeful for April being a busy month - not sure if early April at Carlisle (mentioned in a different thread) is linked into this or additional, but it all seems to be building towards Joint Warrior as per last year.
Let's hope economic realities don't impact on current plans!
So give a 'Like' to my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

michael1970

Post by michael1970 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 am

Good to catch up with you yesterday Chris just a shame there was not a lot about but hey ho it was Monday

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:18 pm

michael1970 wrote:Good to catch up with you yesterday Chris just a shame there was not a lot about but hey ho it was Monday
And vice versa. Definitely put paid to any hopes that Monday is the new USAF day on the range! So I guess the USA sequestration impact may not be as important to us up here, as down south, but the little scraps of entertainment we got were appreciated! There wasn't even much wildlife to photograph as I explored the upper part of the gorge, so the big lens didn't see much action at all.

Chris Procter

Post by Chris Procter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:38 pm

catkins wrote: There wasn't even much wildlife to photograph
Chris what do you mean not much wildlife... You had Michael to photograph and he is a bit of a beast :clap:

Return to “Spadeadam & SPACES”