Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

20-10-12 Gliding With Cadets!

Only modern military and government aviation can be posted in this section.
Surfrdan

Re: 20-10-12 Gliding With Cadets!

Post by Surfrdan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 am

Great memories of Halton and IGT and BGT in vigilents and vikings.

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am

Yep like many other people this has brought back some great (but cold and bleak) memories.. and nice to see some slightly different shots.

Doing my IGT there at Upavon between xmas and new year in 1993. I remember being only one of about 2 or 3 Cadets on it out of 1391 (Romsey) sqdn.. and with only a few people on the whole site at that time. Weather was grey and very cold up there on the plain.. but had a great time in the Viking.

Nice to see the shots looking down in the airfield and hangars, its like being there all over again! Will never forget winch launches :)

Nearly 20 yrs ago (gulp) but feels like last week :O

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

Monty

Post by Monty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 pm

It has only been 3 years since i did my GS at Watton but seems like forever ago! Unfortunately never got to solo due to poor weather during 2 days of our course (although this did result in a nice trip to Lakenheath for a base tour and a look around an F-15D in one of the HAS's). Being on the approach path to Lakenheath we also got to see them recovering to base from the air which was cool. Other good memories as well, including practicing a launch failure and as turning for the downwind leg seeing a buzzard go shooting past the wing, and somehow ending up in a parallel landing with another viking. Sadly 611 is no longer at Watton and don't even fly Vikings anymore :'(
Equipment
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 17-85mm IS USM
Canon 70-300mm IS USM

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Sounds fun, hopefully I will get to do a GS at some point!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

zeebra3

Post by zeebra3 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Brings back strong memories of the ATC..
Went solo at CGS Syerston in Feb 1987 , the Vikings were pretty new then I think.
Great (easy) machines to fly from what I remember
On the first day of the weeks course started with 3 aerotows upto 3000ft to get acquainted with attitude and stalling. then 9 winch launches for circuit bashing in the afternoon.
On the Tuesday a further 14 winch launches including practice cable breaks, then with some suprise my instructor (Flt Lt Hood) said your going on your own for this one.
Remember getting 1400ft off the launch with just myself up front, then a duration of 7 minutes.

Sure like most on this board who have flown, you never forget your first solo

Thanks for posting the pics.. :thumbs:

Return to “Current Military Photography”