Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Leconfield 1967

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
ojays

RAF Leconfield 1967

Post by ojays » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:50 pm

These were taken when I flew into Leconfield for a 6hr charity Pedal Car Race.
There was an open day but we were allowed in the previous day to set up the course.
The team all flew in from Hull Aero-Club Paull airfield by Britten Norman Islander.
I had a great time wandering around the base. Imagine trying to do that now.

Hoping you enjoy, I remember I had a great time, but knackered after the race!

Richard B

Re: RAF Leconfield 1967

Post by Richard B » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Cracking set. :thumb:

MCB

Post by MCB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Ojays,

Many thanks for an excellent post - please keep them coming. Not by way of criticism but just to set the record straight, few if any of these pictures were taken at Leconfield in '67. Take the 19 & 92 Sqn Hunters for example. Whilst these look to be at Leconfield, XG172 left 19 Sqn in 4.62, XF449 in 10.62 and XL594 crashed 16.4.64. With 92 Sqn, XL605 left the unit for Chivenor in 12.65. Lightning F.6 XR757 did not become 'D' 11 Sqn until 2.70 at the earliest and more likely 5.71.

At least the Shackleton (BoB day '64) and Canberra (BoB day '63 - Danish F-100 in background) are at Finningley.

Re the first shot, the Hunter FGA.9. My thinking is probably led by your mention of flying from Paull to Leconfield the day before an open day. This clearly wasn't in 1967 but perhaps the Hunter could be XG252 which came from St Athan for the open day in 1970. Everything 'looks right' for XG252 at Lec in 7.70.

Hope that is of interest - and please post more!

Cheers,

MCB

ojays

Post by ojays » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 am

MCB wrote:Ojays,

Many thanks for an excellent post - please keep them coming. Not by way of criticism but just to set the record straight, few if any of these pictures were taken at Leconfield in '67. Take the 19 & 92 Sqn Hunters for example. Whilst these look to be at Leconfield, XG172 left 19 Sqn in 4.62, XF449 in 10.62 and XL594 crashed 16.4.64. With 92 Sqn, XL605 left the unit for Chivenor in 12.65. Lightning F.6 XR757 did not become 'D' 11 Sqn until 2.70 at the earliest and more likely 5.71.

At least the Shackleton (BoB day '64) and Canberra (BoB day '63 - Danish F-100 in background) are at Finningley.

Re the first shot, the Hunter FGA.9. My thinking is probably led by your mention of flying from Paull to Leconfield the day before an open day. This clearly wasn't in 1967 but perhaps the Hunter could be XG252 which came from St Athan for the open day in 1970. Everything 'looks right' for XG252 at Lec in 7.70.

Hope that is of interest - and please post more!

Cheers,

MCB
As I said previously my memory is not as it used to be. :S
I have so many pics/negs/slides that I took when I was younger that I never bothered to catalogue at the time.
I started taking photo's around 1960, and over the years have moved around a bit. Things just got slung into bags and put in sheds/cupboards.
I have a lot of black & white photo's & 35mm slides that have started to deteriorate that I took in this period. I regularly cycled down to leconfield and Driffield prior to me leaving school, and security back then was negligable. Especially to a school boy.
The only time I had a problem was when some Bloodhound missiles were being unloaded from a Blackburn Beverley, destined for RAF Driffield.
I had my film taken from me, however the next day pics were in The Hull Daily Mail reporting the transport of the afformentioned cargo :S
My posting on here is to try to preserve and share what I feel will eventually be lost, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can make the necessary corrections.
The details have never really interested me, just the atmosphere of the shows, the thrill of sometimes being somewhere I shouldn't be, and the memories :unsure:
Gregg
Last edited by ojays on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCB

Post by MCB » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 am

Gregg,

No probs - just keep putting the photos up and we'll sort out the details.

Cheers,

MCB

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 am

Very interesting selection of photographs Graham . All the I9 and 92 Sdn Hunters were photographed on Saturday 17th Feb 1962 . The rest , with the exception of the first Hunter shot were taken at various Finingley Battle of Britain displays during the early sixties . The reason you are sketchy on the details ,is that they are my photographs which I gave to you many years ago , but they are still my copyright . The same applies to some of the pics on your previous posting such as the RB-66 shot at Finingley in 1961 . I would appreciate it if you would correct this .

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Great post :P

Bootiful shots of the frightning :thumb:

Keep 'em coming 'bor :thumbs:

What memories

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

donnyman

Post by donnyman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 pm

bril..bril..brilliant :clap:

ojays

Post by ojays » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm

FredM wrote:Very interesting selection of photographs Graham . All the I9 and 92 Sdn Hunters were photographed on Saturday 17th Feb 1962 . The rest , with the exception of the first Hunter shot were taken at various Finingley Battle of Britain displays during the early sixties . The reason you are sketchy on the details ,is that they are my photographs which I gave to you many years ago , but they are still my copyright . The same applies to some of the pics on your previous posting such as the RB-66 shot at Finingley in 1961 . I would appreciate it if you would correct this .
Hi Fred, there was no intention to take away any credit from yourself. :halo:
As I have said previously my memory isn't too good now-days and many of my collection of pics/negs/slides are all mixed up in unmarked boxes/bags etc. :S
Feel free to correct any that you feel may have been yours, however I do remember that you still posses many of my negs from the days we toured the shows etc..
Best Regards
Gregg (Graham)

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”