Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford incident?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ben Montgomery

Re: Duxford incident?

Post by Ben Montgomery » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Let's not point the finger of blame yet, it's not our place to do so.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

The damaged Skyraider.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monty

Post by Monty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Spirit of Kitty Hawk wrote:That's exactly what I was told happened Dan, so thanks for confirming that! Look like it's the Skyraider pilots fault then, such a shame, he certainly did look very shaken up after he got down :(
From what i saw it looked as though the Skyraider pilot wouldn't have been able to see BBD due to his wing obscuring his view. Have to say it wasn't a good day for the two french Skyraider's as the other one came very close to colliding with a Spitfire on finals during their display, this led to him abandoning the rest of his display.
Equipment
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 17-85mm IS USM
Canon 70-300mm IS USM

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Blimey that a big chunk gone,thank the lord they both made it out ok.
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Can someone confirm where BBD actually came down ?

Clear of the airfield and/or away from the naughty field ?

FTS

Post by FTS » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Does anyone know if Duxford have requested people to hold off on posting images/videos of the incident at all?
http://stevenharrisongreen.wixsite.com/shgp
facebook.com/stevenharrisongreenphotography
instagram.com/shgphotography86/

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Ben Montgomery wrote:Let's not point the finger of blame yet, it's not our place to do so.
Indeed. Its an ACCIDENT.

FTS

Post by FTS » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:47 pm

MacksAviation wrote:Can someone confirm where BBD actually came down ?

Clear of the airfield and/or away from the naughty field ?
It came down pretty far away. Thankfully they were in one of the last vics to run in. If they had been earlier then...

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Ben Montgomery wrote:Let's not point the finger of blame yet, it's not our place to do so.

Quite rightly, apologies

I can understand that the Skyraider's view will have been limited. If im honest I don't quite get why the Skyraider was in the left flank of two Mustangs and not in the middle of the formation in the first place, but when you're in a formation like that there are numerous things that can go wrong. Big hand to the Skyraider pilot for getting it down in that state

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Just been looking at some shots of the lads who looked after her prepping her for the weekend.God, you got to feel for those chaps as well. :( :(
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 pm

FTS wrote:Does anyone know if Duxford have requested people to hold off on posting images/videos of the incident at all?

Why would they, surely if you've paid money into an event then any images that you have taken are yours to do what you want with them.

Monique

Post by Monique » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 pm

I can confirm the Skyraider pulled up and into the Mustang. His starboard wing connected with the bottom of the Mustang's fus in the tailwheel area.

FTS

Post by FTS » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Thunder wrote:
FTS wrote:Does anyone know if Duxford have requested people to hold off on posting images/videos of the incident at all?

Why would they, surely if you've paid money into an event then any images that you have taken are yours to do what you want with them.
The last aviation 'incident' i witnessed was the Victor flight and they requested to hold images after it, so i don't want to step on anyone's toes by posting anything.

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Indeed, post images and the Daily Mail will just steal them and use them on their website within minutes anyway!
TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - NOW OUT: http://www.tsr2.info

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Good to know that the two pilots are "OK" and that BBD fell in open countryside.

There is an image on Key Publishing showing what appears another incident at Duxford today as well :(

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... 391&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did anyone else see this ?

Monique

Post by Monique » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Saw this too, he got a gust from an aircraft running up on the flightline. Dug a wingtip in and onto it's nose. Nothing serious.

I did wonder though, with this and the other accident, the response from the crashvans was slow to say the least?

paullangford

Post by paullangford » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:42 pm

From what I saw at the end of the Land Warfare Hall, BBD exited the formation up and to port, the skyraider followed, the aircraft touched wings in the turn, and bits of panels started fluttering down. The Skyraider then lost altitude rapidly but regained control, unfortunately BBD corkscrewed to earth. We then saw BBD pilots parachute open. How the Skyraider made it back I'll never know. Both pilots reportly walked away.
Last edited by paullangford on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Softbill Man wrote:Thankfully both pilots are safe and well, but here is my problem.

Personally i have never seen such dangerous flying as i witnessed today!

Several near misses were witnessed by myself and my friends on the day. Fortunately we left before the unfortunate accident happened.
However we did witness a tri plane in German markings clip its wing on the ground on landing (very unfortunate) and end nose down in the dirt. Fortunately the pilot was uninjured.

Then we saw an aircraft (the one with bombs hanging from its wings - Skyraider???) come in to go low level and almost collides with two landing Spitfires. My mate has a photo of them almost colliding and the next one of the Skyraider pulling out in a steep climb to avoid them. He aborted the rest of his display and just kept in a distant circuit until the rest of the display finished and then came in to land without displaying further.

I love Duxford but think some of the displays flying low over other aircraft taking off were too close for comfort and too many aircraft came over the crowd line. Dont get me wrong it all added to the thrill of the day, but an accident was waiting to happen today and im just pleased i didnt witness this one. Even my friend who is an ex F-3 pilot said it was dangerous.

John :(

I know what you mean John, I did notice a few hairy moments yesterday with aircraft landing and others still displaying, quite low down, using the same grass runway as there display line. I think one of them did include a skyraider as well. Surely they are governed by the same rules as other shows and have people watching for such instances? Like when aircraft are forced to land and terminate their display after flying too dangerously.

Mike

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 pm

It was interesting to hear on the commentary how proud they were that pilots controlled the display with very minimal ATC inut. Perhaps things might change? Must admit, the skyraider/spitfire close call did have me a bit concerned! (i wasnt there for the accident)

DamienB

Post by DamienB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Monique wrote:Saw this too, he got a gust from an aircraft running up on the flightline. Dug a wingtip in and onto it's nose. Nothing serious.
If you are referring to the DR1, it groundlooped on landing. Nothing to do with a "gust" (?!), just something that happens to taildraggers from time to time (centre of gravity behind the mainwheels, they want to swap ends at the best of times). Once it started going sideways, a nose-over was pretty much inevitable. The Nieuport performed a most impressive 360 degree groundloop later in the day too and was lucky not to end up the same way.
I did wonder though, with this and the other accident, the response from the crashvans was slow to say the least?
The first fire engine was on scene within 60 seconds for the DR1 groundloop; for the Mustang, their response was clearly hindered by the requirement to avoid driving on the taxiway or across the runways as aircraft were continuing to land and taxi - hardly ideal but better than risking a collision between an emergency vehicle and a taildragger with very limited visibility.

As for those on about ATC control, Duxford do not have Air Traffic Control and display directors and display pilots know a damn sight more about displaying safely than air traffic controllers!!
TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - NOW OUT: http://www.tsr2.info

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”