Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford incident?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Mike

Re: Duxford incident?

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Also posted in the UK Airshows section :- viewtopic.php?f=145&t=37272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any further information ?

coningsbycrazy

Post by coningsbycrazy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Check airshow section I saw it and have photos of skyraider

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

coningsbycrazy wrote:Check airshow section I saw it and have photos of skyraider
Hope that both made it back and all crew are ok!
Arabest,
Geoff

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Anyone know if the Mustang made it down ok?
Formerly Beer Monster

scanman

Post by scanman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 pm

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/BR ... 072011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much info but may be updated as things come out etc.
Last edited by scanman on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coningsbycrazy

Post by coningsbycrazy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Mustang. Pilot ok I witnessed it and have pics

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Glad to hear the pilot is ok.

What a terrible few weeks it has been for air shows.
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm

:O :(

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Gary what else has happened at airshows? sorry only now catching up on the different threads.

Thanks
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

A guy I follow on twitter put something about the crash, I asked if he had more details, this is his reply:

"@mphphotography undercarriage of the P-51 clipped the wing of the skyraider forcing the pilot to pull up. The bail out and ditch"

oh fudge!!

Mike

pikey01

Post by pikey01 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Blackcat1 wrote:Gary what else has happened at airshows? sorry only now catching up on the different threads.

Thanks
Seafire performed a wheels up landing in France recently, thankfully no injuries.

scanman

Post by scanman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Bit more (but not much) here - http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/duxford_two_ ... w_1_958559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Blackcat1 wrote:Gary what else has happened at airshows? sorry only now catching up on the different threads.

Thanks
Last weekend Kennet Aviations' Seafire Mk.XVII SX336 made a wheels up landing http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaantoine/ ... 100683798/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also last weekend Bucker Jungmann had an incident while practising for the airshow http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-14006653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

probably should have phrased it slightly different
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:11 pm

From what I saw I'd say the Mustang is a compete write off :(

I didn't witness the initial collision myself (Was looking at the next formation!) But from talking to other people beside me it sounds like the Skyraider somehow turned inside the Mustang and caught its wing.

What I witnessed was the three ship formation of the Skyraider on the far rank, Mustang 'Big Beautiful Doll' leading the formation in the middle and the Horsemans Mustang 'February' on the nearest flank, Big Beautiful Doll then pulled up and turned away to break out of the formation, route down wind and land when the Skyraiders right hand wing some how collided with the Mustangs left hand wing. The Skyraider then broke away, stabilised and routed down wind to land safely. The Mustang however did not manage to recover from the collision and managed to get over head the field just off the end of Duxford. As the Mustang then nose dived into the ground the pilot managed to jump out and open his parachute roughly 400ft from the ground.

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:13 pm

What Sam said is pretty much exactly the same as what my brother described, as I was looking at the next formation through my viewfinder as well. Very much relieved that the pilots are OK (physically at least).

FTS

Post by FTS » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

I've just got back from Duxford now. I dont want to go into too much detail as its not my place to. The two aircraft involved were the Mustang 'Big Beautiful Doll' and the Skyraider '205' USS Saratoga. The aircraft collided after running in to break to land after flying in the balbo. The Skyraider amazingly made it back missing a huge chunk of the starboard wing, a massive testament to the machine! The pilot of the Mustang reportedly managed to stabalise the aircraft after the impact and bailed out. He is reportedly ok and walked away after landing.
http://stevenharrisongreen.wixsite.com/shgp
facebook.com/stevenharrisongreenphotography
instagram.com/shgphotography86/

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm still trying to piece together in my mind exactly how the collision happened, but im just glad the pilot is ok. He is now in Hospital with minor injuries after walking away from the crash.

That was my first aviation crash and I hope my last. It was horrible to watch, thank god the pilot managed to bail out safely

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Did the pilotless Mustang come down in clear ground? :(

Monty

Post by Monty » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Spirit of Kitty Hawk wrote:From what I saw I'd say the Mustang is a compete write off :(

I didn't witness the initial collision myself (Was looking at the next formation!) But from talking to other people beside me it sounds like the Skyraider somehow turned inside the Mustang and caught its wing.

What I witnessed was the three ship formation of the Skyraider on the far rank, Mustang 'Big Beautiful Doll' leading the formation in the middle and the Horsemans Mustang 'February' on the nearest flank, Big Beautiful Doll then pulled up and turned away to break out of the formation, route down wind and land when the Skyraiders right hand wing some how collided with the Mustangs left hand wing. The Skyraider then broke away, stabilised and routed down wind to land safely. The Mustang however did not manage to recover from the collision and managed to get over head the field just off the end of Duxford. As the Mustang then nose dived into the ground the pilot managed to jump out and open his parachute roughly 400ft from the ground.
Having seen the whole incident this is pretty much what happened. BBD pulled up out of formation and started banking round onto the downwind leg, soon after (from what i saw sooner than usual) the Skyraider broke from the formation (he did not pull up as BBD did) and started banking harder than BBD. As both aircraft banked to establish themselves on the downwind leg the Skyraider, having turned inside BBD, hit BBD from below and behind with its starboard wing. Both aircraft then seemed to 'tumble' the Skyraider then stabilized itself and very quickly headed round and landed missing just under a third of its wing. I did not see what happened to the P-51 (at first thought it had also stabilized and had headed away from the airfield) but my mum said she had seen a parachute come from the P-51. Have to say i was at the far end of the airfield so i may have got some of that wrong due to the perspective i viewed it from. Just very glad both pilots are OK.
Equipment
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 17-85mm IS USM
Canon 70-300mm IS USM

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

That's exactly what I was told happened Dan, so thanks for confirming that! Look like it's the Skyraider pilots fault then, such a shame, he certainly did look very shaken up after he got down :(

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”