Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Nasa moon impact rocket 09/10/09

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
lucas1860

Nasa moon impact rocket 09/10/09

Post by lucas1860 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Check this site, http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html, out tomorrow at around 12.30. Nasa are to screen the impact of a rocket onto the moon live via a broadcast. its to test for water etc. Jim
http://www.lucasaviationphotographpy.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary
Administrator

Re: Nasa moon impact rocket 09/10/09

Post by Gary » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am

:lol: not what i expected :lol:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 pm

It wasn't the best, was it ???
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

lucas1860

Post by lucas1860 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 pm

It was a load of tripe, i was looking for the big dust cloud and so on, what a waste, I've had bigger farts :roll: .
http://www.lucasaviationphotographpy.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:08 pm

lucas1860 wrote:It was a load of tripe, i was looking for the big dust cloud and so on, what a waste, I've had bigger farts :roll: .
I was born in South Elmsall,the whole family could hear you easily. :Wow: :Wow: :pop:

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Nasa's experiment last month to find water on the Moon was a major success, US scientists have announced.

The space agency smashed a rocket and probe into a large crater at the lunar south pole, hoping to kick up ice.

Scientists who have studied the data now say instruments trained on the impact plume saw copious quantities of water vapour.

One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

The 1.6km-high plume of debris was kicked up by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) last month when it crashed into Cabeus crater.

"We're unlocking the mysteries of our nearest neighbour and, by extension, the Solar System," said Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at Nasa's headquarters in Washington DC.

"The Moon harbours many secrets, and LCROSS has added a new layer to our understanding."

The identification of water-ice in the impact plume is important for purely scientific reasons, but also because a supply of water on the Moon would be a vital resource for future human exploration.

The impact into Cabeus threw up a large plume composed of water vapour and debris, which rose quickly.

An additional curtain of lunar debris was sent out laterally by the impact.

Anthony Colaprete, chief scientist for LCROSS at Nasa's Ames Research Center in California, said a large debris plume rose at least one or two kilometres in altitude. It stayed just below the crater rim, which may have prevented astronomers from observing it from Earth
Just a shame it wasnt more of a spectacular for everyone watching :lol:

Info from the BBC news website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8359744.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Return to “General Chat”