Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Complaints from Gwynedd residents soar about RAF Texan

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Red-Eye-Knight

Complaints from Gwynedd residents soar about RAF Texan

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Seems the RAF are upsetting a few people in wales.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55943431

Starbuck

Re: Complaints from Gwynedd residents soar about RAF Texan

Post by Starbuck » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Reminds me of the story of a chap who hates aircraft then moved under the final approach to Gatwick.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:21 pm

They'll be complaining about the noise of Bumble Bees next 😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Eladkram

Post by Eladkram » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Don't know what they're moaning about I live near the Castlemartin Range, when a Challenger 2 tank lets rip everyone knows about it.....lovely.
Training has to take place somewhere, enjoy the sight and sound of it.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 pm

Eladkram wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:49 pm
Don't know what they're moaning about I live near the Castlemartin Range, when a Challenger 2 tank lets rip everyone knows about it.....lovely.
Training has to take place somewhere, enjoy the sight and sound of it.
When I read the headline this morning I thought the complaints would be about the recent F35 training in Wales not Texans! :huh: :halo:
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm

People like to moan dont forget, especially at the moment whilst all bored and at home. Saying that, not only is it ugly it also has an ear twanging tone to it so i don't blame them ;)

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:23 pm

A Phantom was noisy! 😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

quid21

Post by quid21 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Blimey, talk about over reaction.

I hear Lakenheath and Mildenhall most days, living about 5 miles from the bases, and while I have a passion for aviation, its not loud enough to complain about and thats jets in afterburner taking off. Those little Texans are just like having your neighbours cutting the grass a couple of times a week with a petrol mower - yes you can hear it, but you wouldn't complain to environmental health.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:04 pm

quid21 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Blimey, talk about over reaction.

I hear Lakenheath and Mildenhall most days, living about 5 miles from the bases, and while I have a passion for aviation, its not loud enough to complain about and thats jets in afterburner taking off. Those little Texans are just like having your neighbours cutting the grass a couple of times a week with a petrol mower - yes you can hear it, but you wouldn't complain to environmental health.
Well said! 😂😂
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Re-open Linton, and put them and all the jobs they provide there. Move the Hawks to Leeming, with all the jobs they provide. Find somewhere outside of wales to put the Helicopter training and all the jobs they provide. There you go sorted, and no more shitty postings to valley. :P
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Whilst a Texan II turboprop whine may not be as loud as a Hawk T2 jet the difference is the jet lasts for a few minutes on take off, in the circuit or even passing over head, it will come and be gone quickly. The Texan is going to be more noticeable because it will seem to last longer, a turbo holding for take off will sound the same for longer, the jet is only loud on full throttle. The Texan will be spending longer in the circuit, it is slower so the noise hangs around longer, put two or three aircraft in the circuit together and the noise will be constant. Even a high flying Texan will seem nosier than a Hawk because it is there for longer.

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:28 pm

I am sure this did the rounds last year. From memory It seems that the noise is worse when they are up high. Easy answer in that case, lots of nice low level flying, and replace the constant buzzing with a more brief roar around the Mach Loop. In fact I might make the same complaints about the Typhoons. Let’s demand they cut down on that high level noise and spend much more time nice and low, preferably in the Mach Loop as well!

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Here is me complaining about the 'lack of noise' from Leuchars too... :thumbs:

Chris

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Like the residents next to Brize complaining when Lyneham closed and the Hercs moved over and were doing engine checks.Umm
A.Its an airfield you live next to
B. Planning is granted for an airfield and when I last looked was not restricted to an aircraft type and is designed for a wide spectrum of aircradt. Otherwise Airfields would have to close when specific aircraft go out of use to go through planning all over again. Well that's most of our commercial fields!
Typical NIMBY reaction.
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 pm

There's always been whiners coming out of the woodwork complaining about the noise, usually outsiders/newcomers infesting the local neighbourhood (anyone remember the folks from Steeple Aston? :roll: :@ :grr: ), they never seem to realise that the source of noise is probably the biggest single employer and main economy for the local area.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:06 pm

Ghost from above wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Like the residents next to Brize complaining when Lyneham closed and the Hercs moved over and were doing engine checks.Umm
A.Its an airfield you live next to
B. Planning is granted for an airfield and when I last looked was not restricted to an aircraft type and is designed for a wide spectrum of aircradt. Otherwise Airfields would have to close when specific aircraft go out of use to go through planning all over again. Well that's most of our commercial fields!
Typical NIMBY reaction.
To be fair as someone who lived in Carterton for 5 years, and spend quite a lot of time there now (well, prior to lock down) the locals weren't so much upset by any increase in noise but a distinct and very noticeable tone to the more newly based aircraft - and most of what I heard people discussing was more directed at the A400M.

Even here in Cwmbran, when an A400M flies over at en route to Cardiff (or on the way back from) the noise is distinctive enough to make me notice.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Starbuck wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Reminds me of the story of a chap who hates aircraft then moved under the final approach to Gatwick.
I grew up in Farnborough & a similar thing happened. Guy bought a House on the Farnborough Road opposite the end of the Runway. He then complained about the Aircraft flying low over his House especially when the Airshow was on!!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 pm

I have never understood why people move to somewhere then complain about something they knew was there beforehand. I grew up in a village and recall a well-off couple moving into one of the "posh" houses. They then proceeded to tell everyone that they knew what the village needed and were ready to "help do it". The attitude didn't go down too well with the parishioners!

We moved to Brandon on the Lakenheath approach 20+ years ago. The F-15s were flying when we viewed so we knew exactly what we were in for. My wife is not a fan but accepts them. If you don't like what's there, don't move there - simples!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:18 am

Well said, Ian :thumbs:

There’s an old f@rt who lives in Undley who is just as bad: apparently he even writes missives to the base commander at LN complaining :grr:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

filmman

Post by filmman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:35 pm

We had a new single engine piston plane whose prop airflow caused the most annoying screeching noise. We immediately replaced it to avoid complains about airfield ops; we would have found it unacceptable. Jets tend to shroud their noise whereas props can have a new sideways (fan) audience. With regard to the Texans roughing it out until the locals get use to it might be the only answer. I now have a free dawn (quiet) alarm service provided by a large,fast helocopter flying straight over me. Because of its highly directional sound you hear it miles out. If you live in a quiet area you have a lower noise threshold.
Filmman

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”