Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Big Brother Watching

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
baz1

Big Brother Watching

Post by baz1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:28 pm

sat in my local Tesco car park up "hill branch" in Lincoln at 12-20 looking east just caught something in the corner of my eye turned and looked to the S/E and something decending I thought No that cant be a drone too big as it disappeared from view 10 minutes later it came at very high speed to the N/W and hovered at about 400- 500ft above Tesco car park so silent if I had not seen it would not have known it was even there on thinking back seams to have been above Wickes car park at first I got distracted for a min or two looked up and it was gone.
local plod playing with there toy me thinks.
Comfortably Numb

Vulcan74

Re: Big Brother Watching

Post by Vulcan74 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Not a UFO was it! maybe they were looking for somewhere to shop but saw the queue!! :lol:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Vulcan74 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Not a UFO was it! maybe they were looking for somewhere to shop but saw the queue!! :lol:
they certainly were looking at something by the time it was hovering :S
Comfortably Numb

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Dont know the range these can work at but last year we saw one at Lake of Mentieth.We were in the middle of the lake and had a look round for the local Osprey and saw a drone right above us .It stayed for quite a while before disappearing .Kept an eye on it hoping it would either go out of range or power and take a dive,even had the camera ready but sadly it just kept going.Must be quite sad if the sunday entertainment is watching 2 guys out fishing.

Velvet Glove

Post by Velvet Glove » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 pm

I'd be inclined to think it's capabilities were being evaluated and you were being used as Guinea pigs!

A look at a modern film / photography drone ...
https://youtu.be/YLbkFUVZiNU

big john

Post by big john » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 am

Both the USAF and the MOD have been tweeting about using drones for security surveillance. probably one of them on test. Lakenheath also tweeted about testing drone killers for any that infringe their airspace.
Civilian Drones must stay below 400ft and within sight of the operator. Military ones can operate on a programmed internal navigation system. Some have an endurance of 6 hrs or more. the operator watches through the camera and can send a stop message if anything of interest is seen.
link to one type: https://www.airforce-technology.com/pro ... oenix-uav/
or a little one: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam ... mwidth=680
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Waddo has been using drones both today and yesterday, both times a Shadow has been in the circuit and has been warned about their presence.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 am

Re Drones, thinking back there was a Program on tv channel 4 I think on Nov 10th called Britains Historic towns by Professor Alice Roberts all about Lincoln and they were using Drones to film some of it and I think maybe that is what I may have seen !?
Comfortably Numb

Evergreen 44

Post by Evergreen 44 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 pm

Noted in one of the newspapers very recently was a short article on the push for Police Authorities to use Drones instead of helicopters
Given the way that technology is advancing and Policing budgets are shrinking it looks more than likely that such drone sightings will be inevitable - providing we can see or hear them as they become quieter/smaller

Velvet Glove

Post by Velvet Glove » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 am

UK emergency services are already 'regular' camera / thermal camera drone users, and yes it 'will' become more common. Questionable whether the operator would "want" those under surveillance to be aware of it's presence: often pikeys hare coursing in my part of the world.

Admittedly not like the old days when you could go for a country stroll and feel you are away from "everything and everyone". Now there could be a helicopter (or un-noticeable drone) pop up from anywhere .. :roll:

>

This is from four years ago (quiet revolution!) ...
https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/newmarket ... 1-7566396/

Velvet Glove

Post by Velvet Glove » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 am

Sorry, also ... whilst on the subject of drones I just had to share this ....

https://youtu.be/EqxXJ-EMGOw

:)

Return to “General Chat”