Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Damage at Coningsby.

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
reaper493

Damage at Coningsby.

Post by reaper493 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Just seen this on the Coningsby Facebook page. Not good!!

At RAF Coningsby we are conscious of, and very grateful for, the support we receive from the aircraft enthusiast community. We thank everyone who takes the time to come and visit us here at RAF Coningsby both by visiting BBMF and the ‘Spotter’s carpark’.

Unfortunately, over the last few weeks there have been several instances of damage being caused to the fence from people attempting to take pictures of our aircraft. We take attempts to damage the integrity of our security very seriously, and would ask if anyone sees any suspicious behaviour or damage being caused to contact RAF Police on 07976875905 during office hours, or non-office hours 01526 347928.

If you are choosing to visit us; in order to keep everybody safe we would like to remind you;

- Please follow all Government COVID19 guidelines, particularly on safe social distancing.
- Please be aware of your surroundings, including road traffic, whilst taking photographs.

We appreciate the vast majority of our visitors act appropriately and responsibly, and we thank you for your co-operation.

65thAgressor

Re: Damage at Coningsby.

Post by 65thAgressor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 pm

If you go to Coningsby to photograph aircraft on the ground you most likely need a step ladder. I cannot think who would think damaging a fence on a MOD site would be ok. I don't like whats happening to our hobby. I have been to Lakenheath and Coningsby recently and it's a free for all.Hundreds of people milling about. I know it's a free country but I long for the winter that will keep them at home.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Unfortunately there will be always idiots about, just to lazy to bring any step ladders to get a decent shot. So they end up cutting a hole in the fence to get a photo I'm alright jack attitude!!

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Errr I don't carry a ladder with me when I take photos at Coningsby as a rule.

Yet I manage to take quite acceptable images to those who matter (mostly me plus a few others).

Whilst I don't dispute that the fence damage may be done by people who don't have ladders, suggesting that anyone who doesn't use a ladder is "lazy" is quite ridiculous.

I do have a ladder. Sometimes I carry it in the car, and sometimes I opt to use it but that decision is based on exactly where I am, the kind of shot I want to take, the amount of time I have, and the weather.

I don't think that makes me lazy or an idiot.

Frankly sometimes I find using the ladder somewhat embarrassing.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Vulcan74, you really have an unpleasant habit of saying the wrong thing to wind people up! How dare you? A ladder is not essential to get decent photographs. I've managed nearly 40 years of photography and poor images have nothing to do with lack of a ladder. Neither have I ever committed criminal damage.
Last edited by Nighthawke on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:41 am

Thanks for the revised phone numbers.

The situation will only get worse
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 am

Nighthawke wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 pm
Unknown74, you really have an unpleasant habit of saying the wrong thing to wind people up! How dare you? A ladder is not essential to get decent photographs. I've managed nearly 40 years of photography and poor images have nothing to do with lack of a ladder. Neither have I ever committed criminal damage.
Might want to edit that as your pointing the finger at the wrong "74"

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:02 am

Apologies did not mean to offend anyone here! But not just Coningsby but another base also got the same treatment with the fence being damaged so someone could get a good photo!

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:58 am

What is a good photo these days after you messed it about not like the old days

Yorky

Post by Yorky » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:23 am

A hole had been cut in the fence at Reedham Lane which the RAF Police noticed on Thursday.

Yammer

Post by Yammer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 am

Enthusiasts/Spotters/Photographers cutting or damaging the external fence is not a good idea and of course the idiots that do that deserve criticism.

Here's an idea - Amazingly some airfields overseas have placed into the fence "camera holes" - just wide enough to allow a telephoto lens to fit nicely. A kind of "you can take your photos from here, this location".

Maybe a way forward.
Shobdon Blog - Residents photo list

https://shobdonegbsblog.blogspot.com/

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:28 am

Yammer wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 am
Enthusiasts/Spotters/Photographers cutting or damaging the external fence is not a good idea and of course the idiots that do that deserve criticism.

Here's an idea - Amazingly some airfields overseas have placed into the fence "camera holes" - just wide enough to allow a telephoto lens to fit nicely. A kind of "you can take your photos from here, this location".

Maybe a way forward.
then you would get the idiots fighting over who's going to use the" Hole" first :D
Comfortably Numb

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:05 am

Local Press is running this story as well.Always the few spoiling it for all. Unfortunately until some prosecutions happen for criminal damage or trespass to make a point, the I can do what I want brigade will just keep making it worse.
Worse case scenario is they will just close up these areas and put an inner secondary solid fence up with CCTV to get evidence for prosecutions.
I would personally go with the like for like and drill a hole through their front door.
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 pm

This is not a new thing alas. Last time I visited Coningsby in 2018 there was a hole in the fence. If anybody sees anybody doing this report it straight away. Take their registration number as chances are they have a car. Hand it to Military Police.

I aso concur with the defence of not having a step ladder. I have never used one and you can get perfectly decent images at Coningsby without touching the fence at all.

As stated earlier, anybody who thinks it is OK to damage military security fencing, has a screw loose. If they tried that in some countries their feet wouldn't touch! Unfortunately we are far too tolerant of,vandalism and criminal damage in this country and this is not helped by the often ridiculously low sentences handed out by the courts.

I really hope they get caught.

Chris

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 pm

cj9ru wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 pm
This is not a new thing alas. Last time I visited Coningsby in 2018 there was a hole in the fence. If anybody sees anybody doing this report it straight away. Take their registration number as chances are they have a car. Hand it to Military Police.

I aso concur with the defence of not having a step ladder. I have never used one and you can get perfectly decent images at Coningsby without touching the fence at all.

As stated earlier, anybody who thinks it is OK to damage military security fencing, has a screw loose. If they tried that in some countries their feet wouldn't touch! Unfortunately we are far too tolerant of,vandalism and criminal damage in this country and this is not helped by the often ridiculously low sentences handed out by the courts.

I really hope they get caught.

Chris
Here here

Daz

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 pm

I got loads of good pictures at Leuchars from the road beside the VASS .Just had to play with camera settings.easier now with digital

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Sorry should have said they were THROUGH the fence

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm

I got loads of good pictures at Leuchars from the road beside the VASS .Just had to play with camera settings.easier now with digital

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 pm

A thought occurred after I hit the send key .Who goes to take pictures of aircraft from outside the base taking the kind of cutters that would cut that kind of wire.I reckon about 95 per cent of motorists dont even have cutters in their car,I dont.To me it means either desperate to get a picture or more likey cant use ther camera either way hope they gat caught and hammered

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 pm

The hole in the Reedham fence has been there for quite a few years with at various times different levels of a repair being carried out. Sometimes I belive its new people on base reporting the issue as its the first time they have seen it, other times I do think its a non regular visitor that deliberately brings wire cutters, as it always seems to happen around late September, year after year.
Growing old disgracefully

Return to “RAF Coningsby”