Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Chalgrove Airfield (Houses)

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
thevulcan

Chalgrove Airfield (Houses)

Post by thevulcan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

Chalgrove airfield will be sold for housing but with a twist a new runway will be laid so that Martin Baker can continue to operate there. :clap:
https://www.chalgroveairfield.com/en/page_146716.php

The decision is still awaiting final approval but south Oxfordshire district council have given the plan a green light.
2023 Airshows

Too many to list :thumb:

Supra

Re: Chalgrove Airfield (Houses)

Post by Supra » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm

And just how many minutes after completion of the Housing will it be before the complaints about jet-noise starts? Even though its the only runway where they use a cobweb-duster not a runway sweeper!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Surely you can’t build houses or any other buildings that close to a runway???

Edit: approx 100 mtrs from centreline to the first line of proposed homes.
Last edited by Thunder on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHINOOKER

Post by CHINOOKER » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm

I note that in the planning application,that there is provision made for 3 "gipsy/traveller" sites!......Martin Baker better not leave any hardware out overnight.....could be a few aircraft down the next morning!😱😱😱😱

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 pm

looks to me like the new runway is just about 90 degrees to the existing runway, will this cause or solve any operational difficulties, what is the maximum crosswind component of a Metoer 7 1/2? Do I know just enough to ask stupid questions?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Given the exceedingly low number of flights MB actually do I guess they will just wait until the weather is favourable.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Chalgrove is the Martin Baker test flight airfield and company manufacturing base but couple of questions. Each year how many ejection tests are carried out from the Meteors and are they actually fired over the airfield, or some other test site.
The rocket sled test track is in Northern Ireland at the old Langford lodge airfield, maybe the desire to keep an active airfield at Chalgrove is connected with need to fly to other locations in the company Beech Kingair.
Indeed is manufacturing carried out in the UK. Check out their website, very interesting, but does not answer the above.

andrewn

Post by andrewn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm

As yet another airfield faces the prospect of disappearing to the greedy developers. My guess is MB arent exactly keen on vacating, hence the ridiculous plan to build literally next to an active runway. And the locals aren't too chuffed about this outline planning application, so if they kick up enough if a fuss it may still get kicked into the long grass.

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 pm

There has already been significant investment in infrastructure and manufacturing at Chalgrove. If anyone wants to try and nick something they ain't looked at what work they have carried out. Suspect a bite by a hungry guard dog will stop repeat offenders.

So unless they need the money I suspect they need the negative reactions to leave things as they are.
No ejections are carried out over the airfield.and I haven't certainly seen any. I believe these are done in Ireland to utilise the high speed cameras already over there
Had a great chat a couple of years ago with Bob the meteor pilot. Man with a great amount of knowledge on the plane and nerves of steel to watch essentially the RO punching out whilst he stays with the plane.
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Only 25 miles past it (as the Meteor flies)

Pendennis

Post by Pendennis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Over the past few years the Meteor has spent time at Cazaux, not just a day trip. I suspect that is where they do a lot of flight testing.

UKdragon

Post by UKdragon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am

I'm not sure whether the enthusiast magazines have featured Chalgrove recently, but I did a story for AIN in 2017 following a very interesting visit there:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... seats-test

CP

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”