Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Munching Muntjac

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
mirage41

Munching Muntjac

Post by mirage41 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm

The number of Muntjac has in recent years increased unbelievably..

Even though the local roads are full of live and squashed members, myself and neighbours face a nightly challenge whereby these apparently very tasty deer eat anything and everything of any beauty - bluebells they love.

Does anyone know of a deterrent, or should I continue paying local butcher £33 for a fully prepared version.

Davem245

Re: Munching Muntjac

Post by Davem245 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:22 pm

We have the same problem

But If you google the subject there is a website that advises what plants (plants with strong smells is one) deer inc Muntjac do not like which you can plant with those the do like to deter them from munching the way through the garden every Night & Day.

DAVEM

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:12 am

Our part of Norfolk is absolutely riddled with them :O

They're as bold as brass when we meet them whilst out walking :O
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:19 am

Same in Wiltshire, especially around Salisbury Plain. I've been told the meat tastes delicious - anyone tried it.

big john

Post by big john » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:54 am

The Field has.
Pint-sized muntjac may be, but their venison makes superb eating. Unlike the flesh of the larger deer species, it is fine in texture and, of course, the cuts are just the right size for the domestic kitchen. A haunch will comfortably serve a dinner party of eight, but for my money a boned muntjac loin fillet, rolled in crushed salt and black peppercorns, lightly drizzled with olive oil and popped into the top oven of the Aga for 12 minutes, then cut into noisettes and served with fresh home-grown vegetables, is the ultimate in venison dishes.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

herc15

Post by herc15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:18 pm

DavieB wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:19 am
Same in Wiltshire, especially around Salisbury Plain. I've been told the meat tastes delicious - anyone tried it.
Yep, cracking meat.
Munjack fillet makes a delicious starter.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:28 pm

big john wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:54 am
The Field has.
Pint-sized muntjac may be, but their venison makes superb eating. Unlike the flesh of the larger deer species, it is fine in texture and, of course, the cuts are just the right size for the domestic kitchen. A haunch will comfortably serve a dinner party of eight, but for my money a boned muntjac loin fillet, rolled in crushed salt and black peppercorns, lightly drizzled with olive oil and popped into the top oven of the Aga for 12 minutes, then cut into noisettes and served with fresh home-grown vegetables, is the ultimate in venison dishes.
Looking forward to dinner at yours.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Cheers guys, sounds like I need to try it. I know a chap who may be able to help.......

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm

Davem245 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:22 pm
We have the same problem

But If you google the subject there is a website that advises what plants (plants with strong smells is one) deer inc Muntjac do not like which you can plant with those the do like to deter them from munching the way through the garden every Night & Day.

DAVEM
Thanks Dave, had a look on Google and the only thing they are confident of appears to be Lion dung.

When the public transport returns, I'll perhaps use my concessionary bus pass to see if the nearest zoo can help.

Davem245

Post by Davem245 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 am

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks again Dave, I guess that list will keep me busy for some time.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 pm

I for one would love to taste the meat :thumb:

Also, I for one, will NOT be filling my boot with Lion dung anytime soon :Wow:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks Paddy,

Couldn't find a suitable zoo anywhere nearby, although a zoo in the midlands gives it away, but have found that I can have a bag of Lion jollop delivered by your former colleagues for +/- £10.

The butcher that sells Muntjac is half way up/down high street in Wells next the sea - if still open under pandemic.

Return to “General Chat”