Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Spotting during the pandemic

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Gary
Administrator

Re: Spotting during the pandemic

Post by Gary » Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 pm

As per the global announcement on here at the start of the lockdown, the staff will actively remove any logs or photos taken from outside bases until further notice.
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm

I think the confusing statement in the speech was the 'sunbathing in a park' comment. Obviously, this isn't exercise and so it stands to reason that you can leave your house for outdoor leisure activities that do not involve other people, and that you can do whilst social distancing.

For this reason I can't see anything wrong with spotting - especially when the news were gleefully reporting about socially distant street parties!

Lets see how things pan out.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 pm

If you can get to a base without the need for fuel stops/toilet breaks/food and drink supplies etc etc..., then in the eyes of the law(England only), and after tonight’s announcement it’s allowed. Whether or not It’s socially acceptable will never be clear or agreed upon.

In all honesty though, why would anyone want to increase their risk of catching or transmitting the virus for a Typhoon or F-15 that they’ve probably seem 100’s of times before and will still be there in 3 or even 6 months time.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Agree to an extent. The speech cleared nothing up whatsoever. Made it worse. Bu for the last point, clearly Mike does :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Cheek! You went to Coningsby on the 19/3 to see some based typhoons !!

I won't be driving to Heathrow etc but I will visit bases that are nearby Lakenheath (8 miles) and maybe Marham (10 miles) if I need to catch-up on my sleep! And I won't be going just for based eagles!

To be honest nobody spends much time at the bases if you are local - you just get the numbers and move on.

And remember we are all still social distancing when out of the house.

Pete Da Bear

Post by Pete Da Bear » Sun May 10, 2020 10:50 pm

It all seems a bit ambiguous. The BBC link Pen Pusher provided was produced after Boris had spoken and as you read it we first see what is a "reasonable excuse" to go out. That doesn't include going spotting.We then find that from Wednesday 13th in England advice to stay home whenever possible but also, enjoy parks and public spaces without exercising ,then the caveat, always keep your distance in public.Reading on we get to, Analysis - Philippa Roxby, health reporter stating the benefits of being out in the fresh air. My take on this is that as from Wednesday 13th a 10 minute drive to Coningsby fence line and maintaining social distancing once there would be permitted and possibly beneficial. But as I'm a bit of a wuss, the weather isn't looking too good and nothing special happening as far as I know I think I'll just stay home. :S :S :S

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Probably the sensible thing to do.

My most worrying ( if that is the right word) trip is the weekly grocery shop!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 pm

It’s pretty clear to me. Tomorrow and Tuesday you must stay home, help the nhs and save life’s. On Wednesday that changes to stay alert, control the virus, save life’s. We’re all meant to be adults and surely we’re all capable of knowing what’s acceptable and what’s not, if you don’t you shouldn’t be allowed out full stop.

To me driving within 25 mls of your home address whilst maintaining social distancing rules and personnel hygiene, then I don’t see what the problem is of going to your local(if the trip is worth it) and standing in a field several meters away from the next person, especially if you compare it to going to Tesco’s and having dozens of people queuing for the checkouts in a far smaller area.

The Government website will no doubt update on Wednesday when the new guideline take effect.

Morseman

Post by Morseman » Mon May 11, 2020 8:24 am

Anything that increases the heart rate is exercise..... seeing some of our fast jets in action does that to me. Unfortunately too far to travel to see one.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 am

Here is a definition for you

podge meaning: a short, fat person..

I’m tall-ish and fat, in a word, slob ;)

Head down and wait for the flak :)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am

I don't think those definitions are acceptable in today's parlance?..... ;)

'podge' meaning: Height-challenged to weight ratio sufferer? :whistle:

I’m tall-ish and fat, in fact a cardio-vascular exempt, BMI marginal future organ-donor? :halo:

Head-down and waiting for the "bullet with my name on it!"

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 am

I am the most unflattering build - Stocky!

I do get quite a bit of exercise ( pre lockdown) spotting like for example walking from the car to the fence at Marham with a ridiculously heavy camera. It is the in-car catering that un-does all the hard work!

On a more serious note I think photography from the Lakenheath 24 end could be problematic because traditionally one would go over the stile to get into the main shooting field. So unless you are Linford Christie and can jump over the stile without touching it you are not properly social distancing. So maybe worth giving that area a miss not that there is any point in going to egul at the moment.

I will batten down the hatches and wait for the flack!

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:18 am

:roll:

Anyone at Squadron Prints brave enough to attempt a calendar for next year?

Similar to the Womens’ Institute one. There are several suitable candidates above ;)

However you choose to interpret the rules, “there may be airshows ahead “as Vera Lynn once sang.

🌈👏🌞☕️
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 am

The new rules do state that -
From Wednesday, people in England will be able to spend more time outdoors "for leisure purposes"
and the dictionary definition of a hobby, i.e. spotting/photography etc.
A hobby is a regular activity done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time,
:whistle: :whistle:
Brian

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Mon May 11, 2020 10:27 am

@C24, Supra, slogen51 :thumbs:

Now that's the right approach, a positive can-do mindset, mixed with some humour - not the bloomin' doom and gloom that has overtaken some.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm

I have been spotting all the time through this pandemic-- as best I can from my back garden!
Comfortably Numb

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

baz1
Have you noticed Reds activity on a regular basis?
C24.

thevulcan

Post by thevulcan » Mon May 11, 2020 2:28 pm

"People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect
social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people
outside your household.
When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales
and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be
inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration.
These measures may come with some risk; it is important that everyone continues to act
responsibly, as the large majority have done to date. The infection rate will increase if people begin
to break these rules and, for example, mix in groups in parks, which will trigger the need for further
restrictions."

Direct from the government guidance document published today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-strategy
2023 Airshows

Too many to list :thumb:

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm

C24 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
baz1
Have you noticed Reds activity on a regular basis?
I've been popping all of the reds movements I have seen from home/heard on the scanner in the heads up section, should give you an idea on activity levels.

I have also seen a photo of three cars parked down by the crash gate at Scampton last week, so people were already 'spotting'.

Mike

twinstar

Post by twinstar » Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm

The Government website has been updated with the following.

1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?
No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance. You shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household unless you can practise social distancing - for example by cycling. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed.

1.8 Can I share a private vehicle with someone from another household?
No. You can only travel in a private vehicle alone, or with members of your household.

1.9 Are day trips and holidays ok? Can people stay in second homes?
Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”