Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT 2020 Cancelled

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
John flightpath

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2020 Discussion Thread

Post by John flightpath » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:08 pm

Far too early to say about cancellation. If Covid 19 is still around at beginning of June, then maybe thats the time for decisions like that to be made. In the meantime 'stay calm and carry on'

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 pm

Headancer wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm
I think its pretty much nailed on that RIAT will be cancelled given what's happening in other countries regarding large gathering etc.

Personally i cannot envisage a situation where Germany Spain Italy etc send aircrews to the show.

Even thought 90% is open air there are various choke point re queues, marquees etc.

It also throws up a number of issues going forward.

The trustees of the Charitable Enterprises pay salaried staff those staff also cover concerts etc which will also be cancelled, with no income one wonders whether we can actually retain the Infrastructure and pay staff to effectivly do nothing for another 18 months. Will they be kept on. I doubt it.

There will inevitably also be the question of refunds. Whilst I might be happy to simply use my ticket money as a donation others may be less interested. What happens there and also to sponsor/advertising monies.

Thoughts ?
I think you're talking absolute rubbish. This issue will be over by end of May.

Italy sadly are over-reacting to the virus. It's not as bad as the Flu or Common Cold. The Cheltenham Festival is taking place right now and will see just as many visitors as racegoers attend the meeting.

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 pm

TomTwin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Headancer wrote:
I think its pretty much nailed on that RIAT will be cancelled given what's happening in other countries regarding large gathering etc.

Personally i cannot envisage a situation where Germany Spain Italy etc send aircrews to the show.

Even thought 90% is open air there are various choke point re queues, marquees etc.

The trustees of the Charitable Enterprises pay salaried staff those staff also cover concerts etc which will also be cancelled, with no income one wonders whether we can actually retain the Infrastructure and pay staff to effectivly do nothing for another 18 months. Will they be kept on. I doubt it.

There will inevitably also be the question of refunds. Whilst I might be happy to simply use my ticket money as a donation others may be less interested. What happens there and also to sponsor/advertising monies.

Thoughts ?

Italy sadly are over-reacting to the virus. It's not as bad as the Flu or Common Cold. The Cheltenham Festival is taking place right now and will see just as many visitors as racegoers attend the meeting.
Italy overreacting? It’s killed 827 people there in a very short space of time. Hardly overreacting to be honest. I too think we’ll be over the worst of it by May but to say other countries are overreacting and thinking it’s not as bad as a cold is naive at best.

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Italy is probably doing the right thing TBH. Its a case of putting the brakes on the spread.A measured response is what is required. If that means stopping public gatherings for a while then so be it. No need to over dramatise it.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'. :cool:
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 pm

TomTwin wrote:
Headancer wrote:

Thoughts ?

I think YOU are talking about rubbish! No it's not as bad, it's actually worse if you read the numbers!! Italy has a mortality rate of 6.6% and the world's mortality rate is 3.59%. Which is much worse than the flu. Over by the end of may hahaha :lol: some people really don't surprise me.

We had 80 cases this time last week, now 460. Says a lot in itself.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:58 am

Italy are for sure 'on the case' & their containment protocol seems to be slowing the number of new cases. Clearly, just like the delayed effects of floods oop North days after rainfall, the death rate will continue rising for a while after the new cases decline.
In the interim the UK would do well to mimic China & Australia in restricting incoming visitors from virus hotspots, allied to leaving any UK travellers stoopid enough to travel out out to those hotspots right where they are! I can't be the only person that knows of several people that went to or via Northern Italy to avoid losing their Ski-trip....bless them! :grr:

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 am

Campbell89 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 pm
TomTwin wrote:
Headancer wrote:

Thoughts ?

Italy overreacting? It’s killed 827 people there in a very short space of time. Hardly overreacting to be honest. I too think we’ll be over the worst of it by May but to say other countries are overreacting and thinking it’s not as bad as a cold is naive at best.
How many of died of Flu in the same time?

Also, 14,000 die every DAY due to Hunger. Perspective here. It’s not as bad as people think.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 am

James Cutting wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 pm
TomTwin wrote:
Headancer wrote:

Thoughts ?

I think YOU are talking about rubbish! No it's not as bad, it's actually worse if you read the numbers!! Italy has a mortality rate of 6.6% and the world's mortality rate is 3.59%. Which is much worse than the flu. Over by the end of may hahaha :lol: some people really don't surprise me.

We had 80 cases this time last week, now 460. Says a lot in itself.
Please see my post above this. :thumbs:

wessexspotter

Post by wessexspotter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 am

Given the current talk by the Govt to push to peak of the outbreak into the summer, there must surely be a possibility it'll be cancelled. I know Cheltenham went ahead this week but a lot of people were critical and it may well have consequences.

Either if it does go ahead I can't see many overseas air forces sending much if anything. As for foreign punters well who here is contemplating a trip to any of the European shows? I for one have quietly shelved my plans for any trips overseas this year.

Headancer

Post by Headancer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 am

Over in a few weeks....?

WORDS FAIL.

The amount of planning that goes into RIAT is immense. Decisions will be made based on what is happening in the real world ie NOW not 5 months hence.

I would suggest its inconceivable that any air arms are planning to come over. I suspect the taps have been well and truly turned off in terms of acceptances.

That then leads to the forward booking of security, marquees, buses, coaches, catering , sanitary etc The organisers are not going to take a hit on booking these with a very real doubt that the show will go ahead. There may even be an ethical question mark over continuing to take bookings ?

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Today's update 12/03
We were extremely pleased to received confirmation from the Swedish Air Force that they will be sending two aircraft for static display at RIAT 2020 as part of our Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance theme at the show. The appearance of the Argus & Korpen, both operated by 7th Transport and Special Air Unit, at the Air Tattoo should be warmly welcomed by aviation enthusiasts as an extremely rare chance to see these impressive aircraft outside of Sweden. 

Following our discussions with Belgian Air Force representatives at the European Airshow Council Convention earlier this month, we're now able to confirm that their F-16 Solo Display will be performing at RIAT 2020. The 'Dark Falcon' jet is currently undergoing some minor modifications to the paint scheme ahead of the 2020 display season, which will be the last year flown by demo pilot 'Vador'. One of their Embraer 135 transport aircraft will also be on static display at the show. 

As well as being in discussions with the Pakistan Air Force, we have now also received information that the Pakistan Navy are interesting in sending an aircraft to RIAT 2020. We are in communication and exploring the possibilities with them. If our discussions come to fruition, this will be their first time participating with aircraft at the Air Tattoo since 2008, when they sent a P-3C Orion for static display.
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

raptor76

Post by raptor76 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Fantastic update today

For me in regards to coronavirus there is no point speculating what is/what isn't going to happen, me personally I am not worried about it. I am quite sure it will all be over once Riat comes round.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 pm

raptor76 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm
I am quite sure it will all be over once Riat comes round.
Well 99% of scientists say otherwise...Cases are constantly rising, as are the deaths, it doesn't just become "all over".
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Flightech

Post by Flightech » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Czechs have declined and the Swedes are sending statics this year.....means no Gripen jets 😰

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Cases are constantly rising, as are the deaths,
How appropriate, coming from a "grim reapers supporter"...

wonkybob

Post by wonkybob » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:57 pm

Flightech wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm
Czechs have declined and the Swedes are sending statics this year.....means no Gripen jets 😰
Gripen confirms during Easter every year

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm

USAF Heritage flight confirmed. F16 & P51

https://www.airforceheritageflight.org/ ... -schedule/
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

raptor76

Post by raptor76 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 pm
raptor76 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm
I am quite sure it will all be over once Riat comes round.
Well 99% of scientists say otherwise...Cases are constantly rising, as are the deaths, it doesn't just become "all over".
I'm an optimist

wonkybob

Post by wonkybob » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

jasonT1981 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm

:roll:

Zonan

Post by Zonan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:17 pm

jasonT1981 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Cool.
This together with the swedes today makes a good day.
The cancellation of Frisian Flag in the netherlands made my day bad, though... :'(

Return to “RIAT”