Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

BBC Licence fee

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.

BBC licence fee?

Scrap it
70%
Keep it
30%

Total votes: 76

Agent K

Re: BBC Licence fee

Post by Agent K » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:27 pm

If you are not too narrow minded and have travelled the world a bit, you come back to the uk with renewed enthusiasm for the professionalism and content on the BBC, radio and television. For example, I've just returned from Nevada where a recent leading news story was, and I quote, "New traffic light turned on"...…

Whilst it's not perfect and I personally think there needs to be a refinement of programmes and channels and content, you really wouldn't want to lose it. I'd happily lose some of the soaps and such, and have the BBC do what it does best, science, nature, natural history, history, travel, news/current affairs (to a degree), comedy (especially some of the superb stuff on radio 4), education, , sports (TMS!), drama etc.etc. There is no way any of this would stay on a subscription service.

Looking at what is paid for the BBC, vs what you'd pay for Netflix and equivalent, and the content that you would never get on a commercial basis, it's absolutely value for money.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Caught the tail-end of a discussion about the BBC on Radio 4 a few days back, and one of the statistics given was that the cost of watching BBC TV works out at 4p an hour and listening to BBC Radio at 2p an hour. Good value for money, I think. However, as Agent K's post alludes to, BBC TV has (particularly in recent year) sold its soul as far as being a public-service provider in its relentless pursuit of ratings - which is why I hardly ever watch it; and what I do watch focuses on news/current affairs programming which, according to recent reports, is set for swingeing cuts and in an attempt to save 80 million quid.

Like Agent K, I spend a lot of time abroad, specifically the US. Thank God for the PBS stations and internet radio. Knowing that I can tune into Radio 4 - a veritable oasis of quality in a media desert full of sh*t - feeds my brain and stops me from going mad. I agree with Agent K: a few weeks abroad does make you appreciate the quality of service the BBC provides. It's not beyond criticism, but nor is any channel, but the simple fact is that when it's gone, it's gone forever, and that's when you'll miss it the most.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 am

mustang5861 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 pm
Caught the tail-end .......... t the most.
Very nicely said mustang5861

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:12 pm

and now the BBC intends to spend 87million on a new EastEnders set that would be better spent on the NHS and they talk about wasting money.
Comfortably Numb

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm

baz1 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:12 pm
and now the BBC intends to spend 87million on a new EastEnders set that would be better spent on the NHS and they talk about wasting money.
That is bit of a stretch as an argument against the licence fee.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 am

baz1 wrote:
Won't the NHS be getting £350M per week more anyway? I saw that on the side of a bus...……..

Not that I've ever watched the show but the £billions wsted on brexit and ghost ferry fleets etc. etc. I'd suggest is a far more alarming waste of money.

Hurrican

Post by Hurrican » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm

They take the mickie for what they put on crazy money

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:21 am

Agent K wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 am
baz1 wrote:
Won't the NHS be getting £350M per week more anyway? I saw that on the side of a bus...……..

Not that I've ever watched the show but the £billions wsted on brexit and ghost ferry fleets etc. etc. I'd suggest is a far more alarming waste of money.
Blame Cameron and May for not taking us out much more quickly.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am

Hurrican wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Compared to what? How much is Sky, Amazon, Netflix etc? You pay more throughout the year for ITV, C5, Freeview channels, and get less, you just don't see it as a separate charge.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 am

David Cameron resigned after the referendum leaving the mandate for exit to his successors.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:08 am

Made me laugh

Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am
Hurrican wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Compared to what? How much is Sky, Amazon, Netflix etc? You pay more throughout the year for ITV, C5, Freeview channels, and get less, you just don't see it as a separate charge.
I'm sure the likes of ITV, C5 etc or any company in the world would love to be given £3.83 billion like the BBC get from licences fee each year for doing nothing

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:20 am

Gary wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:08 am
Made me laugh
There's a version of that picture been doing the rounds for a couple of years now with Alec's face replaced by Jeremy Corbyn and the photo looking down on Westminster, which I think is far more appropriate :P

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm sure the likes of ITV, C5 etc or any company in the world would love to be given £3.83 billion like the BBC get from licences fee each year for doing nothing
[/quote]

Doing nothing?

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Yes doing nothing, knowing you're getting 3.8 billion handed to them on a plate every year. Especially when the market share of views is actually shrinking. Let's see what happens to the licence fee revenue when its decriminalised. I think the bully boys sorry tv licensing people stated 36,000 less people paid for the licence last year. Watch that number snowball once the Tories do the right thing and decriminalised.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:11 am

So the TV screens are all blank, no radio, website non existent? I do agree non payment should be decriminalised and the payment model needs overhauling, but not drivingthe BBC into a fully commercial organisation. When I worked at ITV the news provision that was a requirement of their OFCOM licence was a real pain for the bean counters, and they made strenuous and frequent efforts to get out of it. If the BBC goes fully commercial the news will go downhill on all broadcasters, which is exactly what Boris (Cummings the puppetmaster) really want.

Return to “General Chat”