Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

BBC Licence fee

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.

BBC licence fee?

Scrap it
70%
Keep it
30%

Total votes: 76

Blackcat1

Re: BBC Licence fee

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 pm

Get rid of Graham Norton ! πŸ˜‚
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:03 pm

Ok. There quite a few misconceptions in this thread. Overseas radio is paid for by the Foreign office, not the licence fee. 'BBC Adverts' by which I assume you mean promos for future programmes etc. Are you telling me ITV, Sky, C4, History Channel, Dave etc don't do them? The Pensioners losing their free licence was a deal that was forced on the BBC by the government, they had no choice. As I said the BBC is accused of bias by both sides, if they were so pro remain why did Nigel Farrage and UKIP get such a lot of represenation on Question Time when they didn't have a single MP, yet the Green party which is pro remain and has had an MP in Westminster for years barely got a look in? The Labour party have regularly complained about the treatment it receives, and Corbyn in particular. (I'm no fan of JC by the way) and the verifiable evidence they've produced has largley been ignored by mainstream media.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Latest propaganda coming from the BBC, or their own project fear. If the license fee is scrapped. They'll have to do away with CBeebies among other https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/12/cbeebies ... -12225686/
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Gary wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:36 pm
Latest propaganda coming from the BBC, or their own project fear. If the license fee is scrapped. They'll have to do away with CBeebies among other
But the rug-rats don't watch CBeebies - they're too busy getting goggle-eyed on their smartphones and tablets! :lol:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Apologies but am i the only person who finds Graham Norton annoying!?? πŸ˜‚
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Blackcat1 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm
No!

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Sparts99 wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:03 pm
Ok. There quite a few misconceptions in this thread. Overseas radio is paid for by the Foreign office, not the licence fee. 'BBC Adverts' by which I assume you mean promos for future programmes etc. Are you telling me ITV, Sky, C4, History Channel, Dave etc don't do them? The Pensioners losing their free licence was a deal that was forced on the BBC by the government, they had no choice. As I said the BBC is accused of bias by both sides, if they were so pro remain why did Nigel Farrage and UKIP get such a lot of represenation on Question Time when they didn't have a single MP, yet the Green party which is pro remain and has had an MP in Westminster for years barely got a look in? The Labour party have regularly complained about the treatment it receives, and Corbyn in particular. (I'm no fan of JC by the way) and the verifiable evidence they've produced has largley been ignored by mainstream media.
If you check into the figures for appearances on Question Time you'll find they show a huge anti-Brexit bias.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm

The Phantom wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 pm
No!
I would suggest the word "frightful" is quite appropriate.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm

πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

king2042

Post by king2042 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm

No your not alone.

I'm sure many love him but I find him and many other talentless "celebs" irritating.
Hence I don't watch TV much, in fact if it wasn't for the Mrs watching a few programs the TV would be gone along with the licence!!

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am

ChrisCwmbran wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 pm

If you check into the figures for appearances on Question Time you'll find they show a huge anti-Brexit bias.
What figures? Can you post your source?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:22 am

Not in the audience. The BBC is a bargain and far better value for money than any other broadcaster/streaming service.

mhm

Post by mhm » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am

Come on BOJO get rid off the licence fee
Regards
Mike

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am

mhm wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am
Come on BOJO get rid off the licence fee
Couldn't disagree more. The last thing we need is a public service broadcaster subject to outside funding. The thing that hacks me off most about commercial broadcasting is the endless darn commercials.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Blue Diamond wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am
The thing that hacks me off most about commercial broadcasting is the endless darn commercials.
It's got to the stage that the programmes are the intervals between the batches of commercials.

andrewn

Post by andrewn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:15 pm

None that many years ago I would have classed myself as a staunch defender of the BBC - right up there with things that made Great Britain "Great". These days I am much less sure. The internet gives people a diversity of viewing and listening that makes much of their content irrelevant. And, yes, the relentless progressive, leftish liberal agenda just grates after a while. What I find most annoying though is the news and current affairs output, it's simply recycled establishment propoganda with little or no actual journalism involved. Had it's day as far as I am concerned, sadly.

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm

It's got to the stage that the programmes are the intervals between the batches of commercials.
Yeah, right. Name any source that's completely independent and everybody agrees is completely impartial. It's just not possible. Do you want a Fox News type scenario here?
If it goes to subscription it will die. And I would happily pay the current licence fee and more to subscribe to it.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:57 pm

gamecock wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm
Yeah, right. Name any source that's completely independent and everybody agrees is completely impartial. It's just not possible. Do you want a Fox News type scenario here?
If it goes to subscription it will die. And I would happily pay the current licence fee and more to subscribe to it.
Think you copied-in the wrong quote - the frequency of commercial breaks on, er, commercial channels has got nothing to do with editorial bias on the BBC. Were you responding to andrewn's comments?

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:19 am

The 'Yeah, right' referred to the comment in quotes. Nothing like keeping a bit of perspective. The next part is in reply to andrewn.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:18 pm

mhm wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:49 am
Its not just tv in the UK its all around the world, Radio stations everywhere. Why are the BBC broadcasting everywhere and only the uk pay for licence fees.
Scrap the licence and cut back on bradcasting around the world.
The self same world service amongst others that has projected soft power around the globe, and that made the UK an icon around the world that sadly it now seems intent on destroying.

Return to β€œGeneral Chat”