Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

BBC Licence fee

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.

BBC licence fee?

Scrap it
70%
Keep it
30%

Total votes: 76

Gary
Administrator

BBC Licence fee

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

Culture secretary Nicky Morgan has hinted the fee could be scrapped in the next charter review in 2027. They are looking at decriminalising not paying the fee.

What's everyone view on the Bias Broadcasting Corp licence fee
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Sparts99

Re: BBC Licence fee

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:40 am

Bit of a loaded question?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

mhm

Post by mhm » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Make them do adverts and scrap the licence. Then they can waste as much money as they like.
Regards
Mike

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:48 pm

Another referendum situation :clap:

It seems to have grown over the years and is used as a cushy employer of many highly paid people who could be gainfully employed.
Lots of swanning around the world on expenses etc..
So, time for the bbc to go?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:37 pm

C24 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:48 pm
Another referendum situation :clap:

It seems to have grown over the years and is used as a cushy employer of many highly paid people who could be gainfully employed.
Lots of swanning around the world on expenses etc..
So, time for the bbc to go?
:clap: :thumbs: :thumb:
Comfortably Numb

Richard E

Post by Richard E » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:49 pm

mhm wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm
Make them do adverts and scrap the licence. Then they can waste as much money as they like.
Unfortunately part of the argument which is often (conveniently ?) overlooked is that the current "UK PLC'" advertising sales/promotion/sponsorship budget is probably fixed in size and making the BBC draw from the same pot won't significantly increase the amount of available money, it will simply spread the contents of the pot more thinly - probably at the expense of worthy but less mainstream beneficiaries.

Respectfully …..

C24

Post by C24 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 am

Kia Ora Richard E,

Your comment mystifies me.

I see the licence fee as a tax which supports an organisation no longer offering a service for which it was designed. A very slimmed down version on a pay as you go basis might produce a BBC worthy of its origins.

Pontification by me, :Oops:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

big john

Post by big john » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:45 am

Don't forget the poor civil servants who administer the fee, they'll have to go. Another big saving!
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

watchman

Post by watchman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:53 am

Meanwhile they send Louise Minchin and 7 or 8 others on a jolly to skate across a lake in Mongolia under the guise of doing it for charity at our expense. Take into account all the added cost of sound, cameramen and other hangars on, plus flights, visas etc it would be interesting to see the overall cost published. However from the Bias Broadcasting Corporation I it doubt that will happen.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm

I worked it telly for 32 years. The BBC now is a far leaner and more efficient, and commercially more aware organisation than when I started. We can't have a sensible debate about the licence fee while people say there are 'hangars on' etc when there aren't. At the end of my telly time I worked in Bristol, very closely with the natural history unit, the crews out on that earn their pay I can assure you. Like any organisation it isn't perfect but if commerciality and ratings becomes the driver standards will drop, not just BBC but all the other broadcasters. While I agree not payting the licence fee shouldn't be a criminal matter, bear in mind it costs less than a Starbucks coffee a week. It gets accused by both left and right of political biaas so it's not one sided.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 pm

If I choose never to watch BBC content, I still have to have a t.v licence, why should that be if the proceeds only go into their pockets?
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:42 pm

bizfreeq wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 pm
If I choose never to watch BBC content, I still have to have a t.v licence, why should that be if the proceeds only go into their pockets?
That is a valid point, but without the R&D done by the BBC over the years there wouldn't be Sky for sure, and the likes of Netflix and Amazon TV would still be some way off. Do you never watch BBC News? Listen to the radio? how would it be policed? I think the answer lies in iplayer in as much as you'll have to log in on whatever device you're watching or listening on, you'll have to have an account that comes with a fee. So you'll have to pay, but look at the licence fee now and what it offers, and the cost of any subscription service, and compare what you get, with no adverts too. But like I said, if the BBC's driver is commerciality standards will drop, no two ways about it and we'll be all the poorer and less well informed as a result.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:58 pm

" . . . with no adverts too"? There are adverts, all for BBC 'products' which I find very annoying especially when the programs are running late. Often mucks up my DVD recording of programs on other channels.

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:22 am

An over bloated dinosaur well past its prime , I was reading this week that the BBC currently collect
£3.69 Billion in licence fee,s, surely some fat cats need to have there tails cut off
Scrap the current licence fiasco is what I say .
Not that I ever watch any of it anyway it's just deadbenders, cooking programmes, househunting or gardening all of which has zero interest.

mhm

Post by mhm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:49 am

Its not just tv in the UK its all around the world, Radio stations everywhere. Why are the BBC broadcasting everywhere and only the uk pay for licence fees.
Scrap the licence and cut back on bradcasting around the world.
Regards
Mike

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:30 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:42 pm
bizfreeq wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 pm
That is a valid point, but without the R&D done by the BBC over the years there wouldn't be Sky for sure, and the likes of Netflix and Amazon TV would still be some way off. Do you never watch BBC News? Listen to the radio? how would it be policed? I think the answer lies in iplayer in as much as you'll have to log in on whatever device you're watching or listening on, you'll have to have an account that comes with a fee. So you'll have to pay, but look at the licence fee now and what it offers, and the cost of any subscription service, and compare what you get, with no adverts too. But like I said, if the BBC's driver is commerciality standards will drop, no two ways about it and we'll be all the poorer and less well informed as a result.
I could definitely do without the biased opinions that the BBC shoves out, calling it news.

memememe

Post by memememe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 am

You don't need a license to listen to BBC Radio. Via iPlayer in a tiered model is the way to go.

two1938

Post by two1938 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm

what about the pensioners

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:19 am

two1938 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm
what about the pensioners
Ask the BBC?

The deal they made with the government made it their problem.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 am

Making them "do adverts" is certainly not a solution. Television channels funded be advertising revenue report it to be increasingly hard to make enough revenue from advertising.

A subscription model is probably the only possible way forwards.

The biggest problem faced by the BBC is that since the Brexit referendum was initially announced all they have done is report in an extremely biased manner - clearly pro-remain - and pretty much insult the intelligence of members of the public who are pro-Brexit.

Accordingly they find themselves in a somewhat hostile market all of a sudden.

When you combine this with the overwhelming torrent of woke virtue signalling that has overtaken programs such as Doctor Who I'm not surprised at all that the public want to turn off in their droves.

Return to “General Chat”