Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

How crap is Windows update?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
slogen51

Re: How crap is Windows update?

Post by slogen51 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I suppose I should say that since the update last week my Win 10 laptop has been running quite smoothly and they have corrected an annoying bug in photos where the edited file sometimes wouldn't save to a new folder.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 am

:grr: :grr:
Not as bl...... irritating as the Apple iPad updates
I decided to send an email, obviously touched the screen incorrectly and ended up with amazon and two other screens in Siri. :grr: :grr:

Thank goodness for the off button. I hope to come back as a ferret in my next life. :grr: :grr: :grr:

No more tablets! Just Pils. :D
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Have you asked Siri what she is wearing ?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm
I have some wonderful conversations with Alexa, however most of my questions regarding bondage, women's underwear and other stuff when the wife's out are answered with "Hmmm, I don't know that one". :lol:
I think she knows more than what she's letting on. :whistle:

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 am

Mike :O

:lol: :lol: :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 pm
slogen51 wrote:
I have some wonderful conversations with Alexa, however most of my questions regarding bondage, women's underwear and other stuff when the wife's out are answered with "Hmmm, I don't know that one". :lol:
A good one is to go to a friends house and tell Alexa "To wake me at 3am with screams from horror movies"...
Find out who your mates are...
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:02 pm
slogen51 wrote:
you naughty boy Mike :D
Comfortably Numb

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm

windows 10 appears to be running slow for some reason version 1809 os build 17763914 anyway of speeding thing up or info welcome guys
regards
Baz
Comfortably Numb

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm

No problems with it at this end Baz, try shoving another 50p in the meter. :lol: :whistle:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 pm

that's good then Mike just found a flap on front of desktop put a fiver in to start with and see what happens.
Comfortably Numb

big john

Post by big john » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Very Important January update.
Someone has found a way of circumventing HTTPS so all your financial details are at risk until all windows 10 platforms are updated, that means for all users of windows 10 including companies you might deal with.
It takes about an hour to download and install, but is very important if you use the internet for financial transactions.
Microsoft are being their usual low key selves about this.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Is it as bad as windows vista?? 😊
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 pm

big john wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 pm
Very Important January update.
Someone has found a way of circumventing HTTPS so all your financial details are at risk until all windows 10 platforms are updated, that means for all users of windows 10 including companies you might deal with.
It takes about an hour to download and install, but is very important if you use the internet for financial transactions.
Microsoft are being their usual low key selves about this.
latest 3 updates downloading now 20% done in 7mins
Comfortably Numb

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Downloading the latest 3 updates took only a few minutes, installing took about 15 to 20 minutes plus a reboot.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:14 pm

all done in just over 1hr and seems to be alot faster now??
Comfortably Numb

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Not too bad for this small update

Update and shutdown took about 10 minutes or less. I then immediately start the machine up again ( as I am becoming wise to Microsoft's ways) and the update continued from 30% for another 5 minutes.

Nothing more annoying than switching on a lap top when you need it and it sits there running an update. ( At work we used to leave our machines on continuosly , mainly to allow overnight back ups to happen)

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am

upgraded to W10 after many years of loving W7. I quite like W10 once you've spent an hour or so getting rid of as much bloat and tiles and what the Hell else, but one thing that really peeves me is Updates. I hate the way it just goes off and does things w/out asking or warning, it's a bit of an issue on my weedy internet connection as it chokes everything to a standstill. My other machine took to also downloading 450mb of nVidia driver that I didn't want, apparently there's another buried setting to stop it doing that so i'll have to look into it. the updates are doubly annoying for me as it seems to have resurrected a sudden power-off issue I had, there's no logical reason for it to be tied to updates, but after 2 years it turned up on Win 7, and eventually after changing the settings to notify me there were updates and letting me select and authorise what I wanted, the problem vanished for another few years until now :-/

was a real hard choice to leave W7 because it did what I wanted and did it well and user-friendly, but lack of security updates is not to be taken lightly these days. if it was off the network, I would have left it as-is. Nothing wrong w/ W10, I just have a "thing" about software suddenly including tons of bloatware that I don't want or need and no options at installation to choose what you want.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Settings > Update & Security > Under 'update settings' click on advanced options you can pause updates for a month, you can also go into Restart Options, and choose when to restart the machine after updates have installed so it doesn't interrupt you. There are a few other options you can toggle to your desire.

nVidia driver is most likely for your graphics card I'd say, so pretty important to have that downloaded and updated (if you don't have an nVidia graphics card, then ignore comment)

Windows has always been the same with updates, they download, install, restart, and finish off the update upon boot, Win 7 and before were the same.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

king2042

Post by king2042 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:40 pm

All I want from my computers is stability and security. With Windows 10 is as you say it's far too bloated with "useful" programs that I have no intention of using, and the worst part is some of them can't be removed, Having unwanted programs on my machine that I don't want isn't the best way to ensure the machine is secure.

Ahh, updates. I have spent many an hour trying to stop updates updating my sound driver, I've followed Microsofts instructions, I've followed instruction from "internet guru" type sites, but none have worked. So I have written a batch file that opens the correct file locations so I can fix it. Not what you would expect from a almost £2000 laptop really.

Most of my computing is done on Linux machines and if Scan125 were availiable for linux I'd be 100% windows free.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am

on the old systems you used to be able to defrag the hard drive when you saw fit and watch it doing it and now it is supposed to defrag automatically on W10 weather it does you cant tell and I often wonder when Pc runs slow that is what is happening. :S
Comfortably Numb

Return to “General Chat”