Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Should elderly drivers be forced to re-sit their driving test?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Thunder

Re: Should elderly drivers be forced to re-sit their driving test?

Post by Thunder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:52 pm

We can only live in hope.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 am

To look further into this, what sort of a Driving Test would this entail if one was implemented!. It couldn't possibly be as difficult as the basic driving test, because there would be so many failures. If it was too stringent, then it would result in many, many professional drivers losing their jobs, with all the ramifications that would result. Loss of income, inability to pay mortgage etc., etc., Very very hard on people who live in a rural area, where there is no bus service, where pensioners possibly couldn't afford a taxi to take them into town. So, yes, it may be desirable to re-test, but who is going to pay for all the new examiners, bigger test centres etc. All that is really needed, as I said earlier, is a G.P. eyesight and reaction test. The rest is really down to commonsense on the part of the driver. Good idea, but it 'aint going to happen for so many reasons. Stay safe out there!!!.

mikepam69

Post by mikepam69 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:44 pm

I totally agree with Raptor 9.Basic eye test and reaction test simple and straightforward.Theres enough elderly people on their own without adding thousands more with rural bus services being run for profit only.I do not fancy the idea of driving down a back road to find a elderly couple walking on the road as theres no footpath to a bus stop.We all get old and one day what you want today may just come back and bite you on the bottom.👍

warferry

Post by warferry » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi Over here in Ireland I at 81 years old have to get my doctor to ok my general health .
This involves a form of 20 questions followed by an eye test. The you get a 1 year or 3 years licence.
This easily could be implemented in UK .

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:52 pm

I just had a go at the modern hazard perception bit on the theory cd. I saw the hazard which was a wobbly cyclist in the left lane, I clicked on it when I saw it then I got told I failed because I clicked to soon!! But it's when I saw it!!! Are they telling me eyesight is too good as it was 10 seconds before "I should have", clicked !!? I was penalised for seeing a hazard earlier than I should! !!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm

You’re deemed to being over cautious, it’s a joke. As someone said here earlier, students aren’t learning on how to drive, but on how to pass a test.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:48 am

Eye testing?? Every two years from pension age or have I (!) just been fortunate with the NHS.?

As stated above, there is passing the two tests, then learning to drive safely and following the advisory code that gives guidance to “less stressful “ driving.
My dream vehicle would be a new tractor unit rather than a bmw (they don’t have working indicators). Driving one of them would put me and my family on an even playing field with others. It would also be better than carrying steps and hopefully would be equipped with a bunk, small cooker and other kit that would be great for spotting.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am

Yes indeed Thunder. One other thing I noticed on the theory is I saw potentially 3 hazards in a couple of clips. But there is only one hazard on each clip! So if you click on the wrong 1 you fail! It's ridiculous!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am

Slightly off topic,but the cost of renewing driving license is strange. Wife has just had renewal form through. £14 if you have a Passport or £21!! if you don't & have to go to a Post Office(that has a photo booth). States £4 of the difference is for PO admin,doesn't say what the other £3 is for. If you wear Glasses, you must take them off for the photo. Which we find strange as She just had to renew her "Blue Badge" & you can wear Glasses in that photo :S

New License arrived this morning & it still has the EU flag on it bearing in mind it was renewed 7th Feb(must be using up old stock)?

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:13 pm

welshandy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am
Slightly off topic,but the cost of renewing driving license is strange. Wife has just had renewal form through. £14 if you have a Passport or £21!! if you don't & have to go to a Post Office(that has a photo booth). States £4 of the difference is for PO admin,doesn't say what the other £3 is for. If you wear Glasses, you must take them off for the photo. Which we find strange as She just had to renew her "Blue Badge" & you can wear Glasses in that photo :S

New License arrived this morning & it still has the EU flag on it bearing in mind it was renewed 7th Feb(must be using up old stock)?
Maybe we haven't actually left and it's all been a very bad dream :Wow:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

big john

Post by big john » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:04 am

We have left in name only, and the MEP's have been sacked. Nothing else really changes until January 1st 2021, and that is still subject to further negotiations. :(
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 pm

welshandy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am

Feel free to cover over the foreign flag, as I have on my car number plate.

Usernamegoeshere

Post by Usernamegoeshere » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:44 am

everyone no matter what age needs to be re tested every few years

watch this from 50second mark thats in the uk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBAW2vhPk60 that woman has no idea she is at fault !

ive lost count of how many idiots drive BMW or Audi's like total w***ers

retest everyone

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 am

Don’t understand why everyone has a go at BMW,Audi and Mercedes drivers, when the vast majority of pooh drivers drive Fords, Kia’s, Dacia’s and any other make available, then there’s Buses and Lorries. Strikes of jealousy it seems (Audi/Mercedes driver for over 15 yrs)

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 am

BMW,Audi and Merc drivers seem to get noticed more I wonder why, and what does BMW stand for british male w***er?
Comfortably Numb

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:30 am

Broke My Wallet

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:52 am

Usernamegoeshere. This suggestion is getting done to death. If you read one of my earlier posts you would understand that what you are suggesting is not at all viable, on cost and practicality alone!!. It isn't a perfect world out there on the road, and some people have common sense failures when they are driving, or are you a driver that has never done anything stupid in a car? If you have, then you probably fulfil your own criteria to be re-tested. Everyone makes mistakes. Pay attention out there and avoid them Simples!!!!.

Return to “General Chat”