Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
reaper493

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm

There's already been someone moaning about the size of ladders and where they were positioned....

Anyone who was there share the same opinion?

Mike

Vr46

Post by Vr46 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:05 pm

👏👏👏👍

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 pm

reaper493 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
There's already been someone moaning about the size of ladders and where they were positioned....

Anyone who was there share the same opinion?

Mike
No. Today was an enjoyable day with no issues as to where I could stand and take sensible photographs. Yes I do have a ladder and I used it in the WAVE car park, but it was not really necessary.

One point that I considered a danger was as people stood on the airfield side of the A15 they needed to be as close to the road as possible in order to clear the fence/hedge.
Maybe the police should consider a secondary fence or barrier approx 1meter from the hedge where ladders are allowed.

Squire of the Gate

Post by Squire of the Gate » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 pm

Bit of a random question but is it possible to get to the WAVE using public transport?

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Squire of the Gate wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 pm
Bit of a random question but is it possible to get to the WAVE using public transport?
No, you can get to bracebridge Heath, which is the village slightly to the north, and then walk. Or grab a taxi.

Mike

Thor

Post by Thor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:09 am

reaper493 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm
Fella with the inordinately tall (10ft?) A-frame steps has caused some comment both days, especially when he plonked them on the corner of WAVE this morning. Looks like someone had a word because he's moved further along the fence.

Thor

Post by Thor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 am

CivPol have been moving people back from the 20 undershoot area to outside the traffic lights this morning, looks like they're enforcing restrictions.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:14 am

More additional cost to us Lincolnshire tax payers caused by the idiots who ignore guidelines :grr:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am

plmc135 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:14 am
More additional cost to us Lincolnshire tax payers caused by the idiots who ignore guidelines :grr:
if they were carted of to the nick for the day that may teach them and spoil there day :D
Comfortably Numb

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am

There was 1 marked up volvo estate, one unmarked black volvo estate and an RAF Police van around this morning.

The two marked vehicles turned up very quick after the Rj requested people were moved.

The advice is not to go beyond the lights.

Mike

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:23 am

Has anyone got in pictures of today or yesterday similar to mikes original post but showing the crowds of people, just trying to get a sense of what it is like , not a fan of fighting for spaces
looking for up/down the A15 and around the WAVE fence line if possible
also has anyone got any shots of the IdF parked up as indicated yesterday from the runway end so that people have an idea of what they can see if they call by over the weekend
thanks
phil

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 pm

There are some on the WAVE facebook page, might be easier to try joining if you are on Faceache?

It wasn't that bad this morning, there was the ladder brigade in the corner of the car park, with the stupidly high one off to the far left.
There was a fair few amount of people both sides of the verge, but not like a RIAT kind of crowd.

I've seen photos of yesterday which did look busier.

Not seen anything from the southside yet, it appears to be a no go area....

Mike

B-2 Fan

Post by B-2 Fan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm

pg1610 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:23 am
Has anyone got in pictures of today or yesterday similar to mikes original post but showing the crowds of people, just trying to get a sense of what it is like , not a fan of fighting for spaces
also has anyone got any shots of the IdF parked up as indicated yesterday from the runway end so that people have an idea of what they can see if they call by over the weekend
thanks
phil
After the Israeli 707 departed I walked past the red stop lights at the 20 end and past the runway end to the lights on the other side, without stopping. Once on this side I looked back down the runway as advised yesterday and could see the F-15s at the bottom of the airfield. Five were easy to see, a sixth was behind these, and the seventh to the right half obscured by a building. I took a long range pic but am unable to post. I was advised they could be seen from the A607 side, but didn't venture to that side, happy with what I had seen. Then I walked back to the WAVE side of the lights, again without stopping. On the way back the RC135 had it's APU running, there were about 2 dozen people opposite the red and white fence. When the RC lined up they moved to the airfield side then the police arrived and moved them all to the correct side of the lights.

Many thanks for all the movement posts and other info in these forums, I had a great day today.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 am

I think it could get busy on the fence side of the road when the exercise starts especially so if the IDF taxi up the closest taxiway to the road. Small two step ladders on the airfield side of the A15 were tolerated yesterday just to get you above the fence line for aircraft lining up on the runway ( just keep out side of the traffic lights protecting the approach).

Arrivals on to runway 20 are straight forward and there should be plenty of room - many people were standing in the A15 when the lights went red and so didn't need a ladder for arrivals. To be honest if you have a good lens of 300 - 400mm you can get perfectly acceptable shots from the wave by standing on a ladder at the northern fence

Obviously be very careful when you are near the road side especially when a juggernaut is passing. The main issue is trying to get back to the WAVE for another sausage sandwich as when the lights go out the traffic immediately starts flowing nose to tail.

There was a strange rumour doing the rounds saying that the IDF , for security reasons , would only depart on runway 02 irrespective of the winds ! As always time will tell.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:53 am

reaper493 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 pm
There are some on the WAVE facebook page, might be easier to try joining if you are on Faceache?

It wasn't that bad this morning, there was the ladder brigade in the corner of the car park, with the stupidly high one off to the far left.
There was a fair few amount of people both sides of the verge, but not like a RIAT kind of crowd.

I've seen photos of yesterday which did look busier.

Not seen anything from the southside yet, it appears to be a no go area....

Mike
Thanks Mike, Dont do FB but I get the idea
cheers
Phil

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:53 am

B-2 Fan wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm
pg1610 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:23 am
thanks
phil
After the Israeli 707 departed I walked past the red stop lights at the 20 end and past the runway end to the lights on the other side, without stopping. Once on this side I looked back down the runway as advised yesterday and could see the F-15s at the bottom of the airfield. Five were easy to see, a sixth was behind these, and the seventh to the right half obscured by a building. I took a long range pic but am unable to post. I was advised they could be seen from the A607 side, but didn't venture to that side, happy with what I had seen. Then I walked back to the WAVE side of the lights, again without stopping. On the way back the RC135 had it's APU running, there were about 2 dozen people opposite the red and white fence. When the RC lined up they moved to the airfield side then the police arrived and moved them all to the correct side of the lights.

Many thanks for all the movement posts and other info in these forums, I had a great day today.
Thanks
Phil

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:54 am

slogen51 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 am
I think it could get busy on the fence side of the road when the exercise starts especially so if the IDF taxi up the closest taxiway to the road. Small two step ladders on the airfield side of the A15 were tolerated yesterday just to get you above the fence line for aircraft lining up on the runway ( just keep out side of the traffic lights protecting the approach).

Arrivals on to runway 20 are straight forward and there should be plenty of room - many people were standing in the A15 when the lights went red and so didn't need a ladder for arrivals. To be honest if you have a good lens of 300 - 400mm you can get perfectly acceptable shots from the wave by standing on a ladder at the northern fence

Obviously be very careful when you are near the road side especially when a juggernaut is passing. The main issue is trying to get back to the WAVE for another sausage sandwich as when the lights go out the traffic immediately starts flowing nose to tail.

There was a strange rumour doing the rounds saying that the IDF , for security reasons , would only depart on runway 02 irrespective of the winds ! As always time will tell.
Thanks Mike thats sort of what I was looking for, Will see what happens on monday morning
rgds
phil(NTG)
Phil

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am

Hasn't it been stated that the IDF aircraft will be departing from 02 regardless of the wind direction presumably negating the possibility of photographs of the crew.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 am

plmc135 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am
Hasn't it been stated that the IDF aircraft will be departing from 02 regardless of the wind direction presumably negating the possibility of photographs of the crew.
I can't really understand this... they'll have their flight gear on anyway, and they've already been photographed landing on 20 anyway so it won't make a blind bit of difference!

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:05 am

MiG_Eater wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:46 am
plmc135 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am
I can't really understand this... they'll have their flight gear on anyway, and they've already been photographed landing on 20 anyway so it won't make a blind bit of difference!
Don't think it has all to do with photography. Think they don't want their aircraft so close to the general people when using rwy20 for departure.

Cheers,
Ranger
Last edited by Ranger on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “RAF Waddington”