Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
britaylor

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by britaylor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 am

With due credit to the WAVE have done there hardest to get the hedge cut and more loos etc please can we support them with buying a drink or food and just enjoy

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 am

Absolutely (wonder if fried spam's on the menu.... :whistle: )

bushande

Post by bushande » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Many thanks Mike for the effort and posting images. For a first-timer like myself that is 24k gold. Much much appreciated.
May I ask; I'd love to catch the machines upon take off rather than approach (not that I wouldn't be happy to catch them at all however!). Just in case they will go out southbound, can anybody give advice or an impression on visibility for the southern end of the runway, even though the parking slots on the B1178 would most likely be blocked?

I have a 600mm on a crop body so I still hope I might be able to snatch the one or other decent shot away even if I'd be further away for a quick stop somewhere east of the A15 but am not sure.

many thanks in advance.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm

The southern (02) end is looking like its a no go area.
The layby is already closed off, with many cones and barriers with signs further down advising Farm access only, the local farmers have been advised to report trespassing as well. Its not clear how the police will take to people walking down to the fence at the 02 end.

As for take off shots, 20 is the most common runway used. When they are using 20, is guess you'd want to be at the 02 Harmston end with the jets coming towards you. With the bushes and hedges on the verge, limited parking, and distance to the fence from the road (more bushes between the road and the fence) you might struggle. They will be reasonably high by the time they would get to you here as well, and there isn't anywhere else where you can get closer to the take off point. You should be fine to stay on the verge, ladders would be needed to give you more of view of the departures.

Your best chance of a take off shot would be if they are using 02, you may get the odd topside of stuff if they turn east to avoid Lincoln and Wickenby as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

phantomrob

Post by phantomrob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm

forgive me if i am missing something here, but where is the sign that says "no Ladders" ? I Only see road users instructions.
ladders have always been used along the fence there ,even on airshow days.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm

phantomrob wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm
forgive me if i am missing something here, but where is the sign that says "no Ladders" ? I Only see road users instructions.
do we have to have signs for everything? the No ladders against the airfield fence on the A15 is being enforced by the base and the local police troll the threads and you may figure out why ??
Comfortably Numb

bushande

Post by bushande » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 am

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm
The southern (02) end is looking like its a no go area.
The layby is already closed off, with many cones and barriers with signs further down advising Farm access only, the local farmers have been advised to report trespassing as well. Its not clear how the police will take to people walking down to the fence at the 02 end.

As for take off shots, 20 is the most common runway used. When they are using 20, is guess you'd want to be at the 02 Harmston end with the jets coming towards you. With the bushes and hedges on the verge, limited parking, and distance to the fence from the road (more bushes between the road and the fence) you might struggle. They will be reasonably high by the time they would get to you here as well, and there isn't anywhere else where you can get closer to the take off point. You should be fine to stay on the verge, ladders would be needed to give you more of view of the departures.

Your best chance of a take off shot would be if they are using 02, you may get the odd topside of stuff if they turn east to avoid Lincoln and Wickenby as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks for the good info Mike. Appreciate the effort.
Well, that doesn't sound too good reg. take off shots but I guess one should be happy to catch them at all given the rarity of their visits and the general conditions. Nonetheless, I sure hope for wind from the east hihi.

Harkins

Post by Harkins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am

I'm a little bit surprised at the amount of interest still being shown in this deployment. With all the various restrictions that the base has naturally, combined with the restrictions in force for the duration added to the fact that the F-15Is are no longer attending, you could just get shots of grey F-15s at Lakenheath with a lot less hassle. I expect that there will be people who make a charge for the fence with their ladders and access other places they're not allowed in the desperate attempt to get a photo other than an F-15 passing over the A15 with a row of heads, lens and HGVs along the bottom. But with so few deployments in the UK, I guess something, anything is better than the usual nothing and is bound to draw everyone mildly interested from Lands End to John O'Groats to pack into a car park in Lincolnshire for a couple for a couple of weeks.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 am

I can see where you're coming from but Israeli F-15 photos/logging vs.LNs? I guess you're not a numbers man. If I had the time I'd certainly be heading up.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am

I'm not a numbers man - but there is something exciting about real life Israeli fighter jets. I can't place it myself, but the excitement is real.

There's also something really nice about heading to a base and potentially seeing such a wide variety of types. If we're lucky we'll see a 707, Typhoons, F-15s and maybe some of the locals all in one morning.

I'll be making the trip... wish me luck!

Harkins

Post by Harkins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm likewise am not a numbers man but I do see the appeal of seeing the jets and getting some photos of them or noting their serials. It's just that I envisage absolute chaos there and it being more like a mosh pit than a nice day out photographing Israeli fighters. And unfortunately, having expected to see the beautiful and exotic F-15Is, the plain grey jets ares a bit disappointing from a photography perspective. But anyway, I doubt that will deter many and there will be all manner of aggravation and jostling as people fight for the best vantage point available 7am each morning. I haven't been in the WAVE but from the photos, am I right in thinking that there will be a line of the first there on very tall steps against the fence in the northwest corner and everyone else trying to shoot the Eagles between the gaps between said peoples heads? Or maybe I'm just being my glass half empty self.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 pm

Glass half empty!!

People are allowed on the road side, and ladders are allowed on the verge on the WAVE side of the A15. I dont think its going to be as bad as you think.

Mike

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 pm

reaper493 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 pm
I dont think its going to be as bad as you think.
I'm generally an optimistic person, but now that you've said that...! :)

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am
...If we're lucky we'll see a 707, Typhoons, F-15s and maybe some of the locals all in one morning.

I'll be making the trip... wish me luck!
Having lived I the area for some 5yrs, I wouldn't be too excited at meeting 'some of the locals...' (ahem)
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

phantomrob

Post by phantomrob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:46 pm

baz1 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm
phantomrob wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm
do we have to have signs for everything? the No ladders against the airfield fence on the A15 is being enforced by the base and the local police troll the threads and you may figure out why ??
Yes we need signs with BIG POLICE instructions or know one will take any notice what so ever and it is not the law.
As for Trolls in lincolnshire , i thought they were Imps ?

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 pm

reaper493 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 pm
Glass half empty!!

People are allowed on the road side, and ladders are allowed on the verge on the WAVE side of the A15. I dont think its going to be as bad as you think.

Mike
Personally I'm going to leave it for a week before venturing out there, hopefully by then most of the fuss will have died down somewhat (and the kids should be back at school) ;)

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 pm
...(and the kids should be back at school) ;)
No they won't - the WAVE will be full of them. Oh sorry you meant the 4-18 year-olds. :Oops: :lol: :lol:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 am

11:50 overflow carpark is open with a few customers already

Oops sorry - that is the fire brigade carpark

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Big thanks to the yellow vests in the wave for sorting out the parking and especially to the brave lady stopping the A15 traffic to allow a mass exodus to leave the wave after the IDF landed.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm
roughcutter wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 pm
...(and the kids should be back at school) ;)
No they won't - the WAVE will be full of them. Oh sorry you meant the 4-18 year-olds. :Oops: :lol: :lol:

B*gger! Forgot about the big kids (and their big tantrums) :lol:

Return to “RAF Waddington”