Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
User avatar
reaper493
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Waddington

Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Afternoon all,

As promised, some photos of the current situation at Waddington and the WAVE.

The first 4 are taken from inside the WAVE.

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

This next lot are all taken from the verge on the WAVE side of the A15 at various points, with out a ladder.

ImageDSC_9260

Image1

Image2

ImageDSC_9262

ImageDSC_9272

ImageDSC_9271

ImageDSC_9273

ImageDSC_9285

ImageDSC_9286

ImageDSC_9334

ImageDSC_9261

Hope this gives those coming a long way an idea of what you can see. It does look like there will be no ladders on the base side of the A15.

Any questions, shout up.

Mike

phantom6
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by phantom6 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks Mike you are a star very good info

TARGET
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by TARGET » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Excellent work Mike. Many thanks for your trouble.
TARGET

User avatar
Dave934
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Mildenhall

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by Dave934 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you mate. Looks like it will be worth a trip....
Dave.

redeye11
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by redeye11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks very much for taking the bother to take and post - very useful

jp 74
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by jp 74 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Mike, hope to see you there!

User avatar
eagle driver
Posts: 9818
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 am
Location: knaphill Surrey
Contact:

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by eagle driver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks Mike , as above very much appreciated.

ETUO-09
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by ETUO-09 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Am I completely wrong when assuming, that the jets might leave on the 23rd of September-or
will it be just the heavies for some equipment ?! :S

User avatar
reaper493
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Waddington

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Few things I forgot to mention.

The area to the south of the tower where the Sentinels and Rjs park is having some building work done, so the Rjs and Sentinels are parked on Alpha with the Sentries.

The no overtaking and 30 mph signs are being ignored, so take care on the A15.

The northern layby on the B1178 is already closed, with cones and road blocks stopping people from driving on. There are also yellow signs advising farm access only, so not sure how easy it will be to walk to the southern crash gate down there.

Mike

User avatar
roughcutter
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by roughcutter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:51 pm

A bit of a grey area this one, regarding the use of stepladders at Waddo. It's great to see that the hedgerows have been trimmed for the spotters/photographers to see over, however from previous experience I know it will be five deep in places and at times trying to get a decent shot can be a bit of a bunfight. Could I use a platform/steps to shoot the aircraft from "across" the road (obviously I wouldn't be so crass as to set them up on the fence), but is there any reason why I can't use them to shoot from the opposite side where I will be elevated enough to shoot over the fence (albeit from a distance) without blocking anyone's view?
... and a fair haired slightly balding Bobby Charlton to kick off!

chrisov
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by chrisov » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks for the info and photos.
But could I ask for a bit more advice please?
Is there any suggestion of extra parking ie not WAVE being provided if/when the WAVE becomes full?
Thanks.

User avatar
reaper493
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Waddington

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

chrisov wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:04 pm
Thanks for the info and photos.
But could I ask for a bit more advice please?
Is there any suggestion of extra parking ie not WAVE being provided if/when the WAVE becomes full?
Thanks.
If the WAVE becomes full, there a few older disused dispersals to the south that they have permission to use. Other than that it would be park in Bracebridge heath and walk down the A15, not ideal but it can be done. Suggest hi vis, walk towards traffic, and don't wear shorts.

Mike

User avatar
reaper493
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Waddington

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:18 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:51 pm
A bit of a grey area this one, regarding the use of stepladders at Waddo. It's great to see that the hedgerows have been trimmed for the spotters/photographers to see over, however from previous experience I know it will be five deep in places and at times trying to get a decent shot can be a bit of a bunfight. Could I use a platform/steps to shoot the aircraft from "across" the road (obviously I wouldn't be so crass as to set them up on the fence), but is there any reason why I can't use them to shoot from the opposite side where I will be elevated enough to shoot over the fence (albeit from a distance) without blocking anyone's view?
From what I understand, ladders and similar are allowed on the wave side of the A15, just not sure how far up towards the runway they will be allowed, possibly no further north than the red lights. The only issue here is should the lights stay on for a prolonged period, which I guess is inevitable, sods law would dictate the A15 will be full of HGVS at this time.....

Mike

User avatar
roughcutter
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by roughcutter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Obviously common sense needs to prevail here, trouble is it only takes one smart arse to spoil it for everyone.... :roll:
... and a fair haired slightly balding Bobby Charlton to kick off!

User avatar
reaper493
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Waddington

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by reaper493 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 pm

You're not wrong.
There are a number of those types on the wave Facebook group who have said they are going to wait until the aircraft taxi, then just plonk thier ladders next to the fence anyway. They think the police will not be there quick enough to stop them getting thier shots.

Hopefully they think carefully, and is it worth the risk for a photo.

chrisov
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by chrisov » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:01 pm

reaper493 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm
chrisov wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:04 pm
Thanks for the info and photos.
But could I ask for a bit more advice please?
Is there any suggestion of extra parking ie not WAVE being provided if/when the WAVE becomes full?
Thanks.
If the WAVE becomes full, there a few older disused dispersals to the south that they have permission to use. Other than that it would be park in Bracebridge heath and walk down the A15, not ideal but it can be done. Suggest hi vis, walk towards traffic, and don't wear shorts.

Mike
Thank you.

User avatar
Nighthawke
Posts: 3129
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:06 pm

There are always a*holes who think they are outside the law and can do just what they want. Hopefully there will be a police presence to catch them and send them on their way.

Supra
Posts: 1752
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by Supra » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Agreed! Without getting into a massive debate about morals & attitude, isn't it just the case that RAF Waddington Base Security don't want anybody leaning ladders against their dodgy fence or more importantly having a 12 tread step-ladder near the fence that would give 'anybody' clear access over the fence/hedge onto the airfield to "make a statement"?
Because they can't trust ladder-meerkats to stay back from the actual fence, they use the empirical & obviously clear to any numb-nuts definition of the A15!
So, although Security are already on the case, there simply will always be 'tryers' who just can't do what they're asked! :roll: I guess it will fall under the Civil jurisdiction of Lincolnshire's finest, who have never been blessed with too much patience? :halo:

phantom6
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by phantom6 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:10 am

So you have heard the advice, lets not be idiots, abide bye the rules, and lets all enjoy our hobby,dont be selfish and spoil it for others Vick

baz1
Posts: 4014
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: Waddington and the A15 (Photos)

Post by baz1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:23 am

reaper493 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 pm
You're not wrong.
There are a number of those types on the wave Facebook group who have said they are going to wait until the aircraft taxi, then just plonk thier ladders next to the fence anyway. They think the police will not be there quick enough to stop them getting thier shots.

Hopefully they think carefully, and is it worth the risk for a photo.
well i'm sure the plod will be monitoring face ache ?

Post Reply

Return to “RAF Waddington”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests