Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT and the future

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
PeteHemsley

RIAT and the future

Post by PeteHemsley » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

Morning all. With RIAT 2019 drawing to a close, it's now time to start looking at the future. Lots of controversy flying around everywhere. Whilst sharing drinks in the bar in fairford village, the owner spike to several enthusiasts about next year's RIAT being the last one or the last to be held at fairford anyway.....

He didn't show any document or anything, but claimed that local authorities, stores and feeding troughs (pubs and take aways) have received letters informing them of the role change at RAF Fairford. This included information about planned aircraft deployment/basing, up to 380 base personnel moving into the area and the end of the annual airshow.

Did anyone else on the boards hear the same thing or was this yet another wind up? It's not exactly good for business by stating such things so why else would it be mentioned?

Campbell89

Re: RIAT and the future

Post by Campbell89 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:58 am

There is a post here (3rd most recent at the time of posting) by Tornado17 that alludes to the Rivet Joints moving to Fairford and an increase in based personnel by 1000 however no mention of moving / ending RIAT.

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=108625&start=880

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am

It wouldnt surprise me if it ended or moved. Look at waddington airshow, as soon as the rivet joint moved in then the airshow came to an end. One reason i heard was that the americans saw it as to much of a security risk. The same at mildenhall post 9/11 so once there are USAF aircraft there permanently i can see riat at fairford coming to an end.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 am

Waddington has more than just RC-135 crews working on base. There are some sad unwashed FWITs who don't like them being used.

Hint..... 13 and 39 Sqn have them, and 31 Sqn gets its replacment :whistle:

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 am

Im aware of them and like i said the americans thought waddington was to much of a risk. Its an excuse they can use and we have no argument. The same happend with mildenhall shows post 9/11.

Fighterfoto

Post by Fighterfoto » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Waddington Show went because it was too great a burden for a busy operational station to continue to hold.
Never trust a grown man with a nickname

sgtangel

Post by sgtangel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:00 pm

The air tattoo managed perfectly well when the KC135s were based there. Being a local, who works closely with some sections on the base, and knowing what will be happening on the base in the future, I see no reason, nor have I heard anything (rumour or otherwise), that RIAT will go

JASTREB

Post by JASTREB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 am

Well, my local haunt at Fairford - were I have stayed for the past 12 years - already has next years show dates. All the regulars who stay there are already booked for next year.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:08 am

RIAT won't be moving anytime soon. The show has recently had their contract extended.

If he apparently received this documentation, why didn't he offer to show it to you?

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 am

I am a Fairford resident. The documentation mentions the details and personnel numbers about the bases new role, it doesn't say anything of the sort about the end of the annual airshow.

I was at a meeting recently with the base commander who said publicly the show will continue, referencing the fact that they managed with many tankers there historically so 2-3 RC-135's on the non-public accessible side of the base will cause no problems at all as there is ample space for both.

Just false rumours and hearsay.

ShoreRam

Post by ShoreRam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:20 am

It's implausible to suggest that RIAT won't be impacted by the changing nature of the base, I'm not saying it won't happen but maybe it will be scaled down - The show organisers effectively take control of the base for weeks, I can't believe that will happen on an active base?

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 am

It's happened before and no reason why it can't happen again. The RC activities will be enclaved in a relatively small part of the airbase, not accessible to the public and easily restricted to tattoo staff, so there shouldn't be an issue. It has some of the biggest areas of hardstanding of any airbase in the world so with dwindling aircraft numbers at the show each year through natural succession it won't be a logistics issue.

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 am

was he drunk?

EgDlYm

Post by EgDlYm » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 am

Re the RC-135-RIAT debate, surely the central issue is whether the RC-135s can get airborne quickly if a military emergency need arises during RIAT displays. Is there yet a list of departure A/C, callsigns, times, yet available on Fighter Control or elsewhere.

Richard
PeteHemsley wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am
Morning all. With RIAT 2019 drawing to a close, it's now time to start looking at the future. Lots of controversy flying around everywhere. Whilst sharing drinks in the bar in fairford village, the owner spike to several enthusiasts about next year's RIAT being the last one or the last to be held at fairford anyway.....

He didn't show any document or anything, but claimed that local authorities, stores and feeding troughs (pubs and take aways) have received letters informing them of the role change at RAF Fairford. This included information about planned aircraft deployment/basing, up to 380 base personnel moving into the area and the end of the annual airshow.

Did anyone else on the boards hear the same thing or was this yet another wind up? It's not exactly good for business by stating such things so why else would it be mentioned?

Mikepaparomeo

Post by Mikepaparomeo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Andy Armstrong, RIAT CEO (leaving post this year) was interviewed Friday morning on the Air Tattoo radio station and was quite clear that he saw no reason why the AT could not continue at FFD after the base is permanently re-activated and indeed that he expected that it will continue. The only days when operational military movements might be tricky would be the Fri/Sat/Sun and even then it would just be a matter of timing. I am sure the USAF can make a plan for that! Like, maybe, pop one over at Brize 'in case' for a day or two. And then aircrew would not need to relocate from FFD area...
Regards, Mark

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:51 pm

Who does the OP mean by the "owner"?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm

The bar owner I guess.

Hustler72

Post by Hustler72 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm

I now its different times which have changed greatly
but in the early years didn't the airtattoo take place on an airbase that had ground based nuclear weapons bunkers on it. On a different trend of thought there is no mention of an official theme for next year, are they running out of idea's??

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm
The bar owner I guess.
Ok, sorry I feel dumb now. I took it to be the "owner" of RIAT he meant lol.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm

No need, I had to read it twice to make sure. Too hot to think anyway.

Return to “RIAT”