Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
herc15

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by herc15 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm

That is great news right there...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

retro11

Post by retro11 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:32 pm

As Fred Flintstone once said YABBA DABBA DO !!

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:40 pm

red leader wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:26 pm
It is an excellent update. Are they likely to bring a spare?
No mention of anything else coming for spare or static.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Spares are rarely included on updates
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Flightech

Post by Flightech » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 pm
So it seems like we won't be getting a Mig-29 or SU-22 from Poland as I have heard that the Migs are still grounded and the SU-22s are now grounded too :'(

Pity as they would have made an already looking great show even better...I think the days of the Migs are getting behind us now, just hope the Romanians turn up with the Mig-21 as it really could be the last chance we see a flying Mig on these shores.
Where did you get this source from ?
Looks like the Polish will be sending one static transporter plane 😥.

All the remains is for RIAT to confirm the French aerobatic team which I'm surprised they haven't already, unless they got something planned too 😜

I'm wondering in they'll add more dates to SoloTurk or if they'll send another static plane

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Flightech wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:57 pm
Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 pm
So it seems like we won't be getting a Mig-29 or SU-22 from Poland as I have heard that the Migs are still grounded and the SU-22s are now grounded too :'(

Pity as they would have made an already looking great show even better...I think the days of the Migs are getting behind us now, just hope the Romanians turn up with the Mig-21 as it really could be the last chance we see a flying Mig on these shores.
Where did you get this source from ?
Looks like the Polish will be sending one static transporter plane 😥.

All the remains is for RIAT to confirm the French aerobatic team which I'm surprised they haven't already, unless they got something planned too 😜

I'm wondering in they'll add more dates to SoloTurk or if they'll send another static plane

The Migs have been grounded for a while now and someone on another chat site said the SU-22s were grounded the other day.....Person who said it was Polish or claimed to be.

It's most likely true as SU-22s been taken off the airshows they were due to attend this year.

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 am

From RIAT Air Traffic Twitter

The countdown continues - slot allocation tomorrow aka ‘The Longest Day’ followed by the Air Traffic Team Training Day on Tuesday - looking forward to getting the team together.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RIATairtraff ... art%3D2725

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 am

British Airways to Celebrate Centenary at Air Tattoo

We can confirm that British Airways has chosen to mark their Centenary at the Royal International Air Tattoo with a special flypast featuring the RAF Red Arrows.

We're delighted that the airline has found a slot in it's busy flying schedule for a Boeing 747, painted in its iconic British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) livery. It will perform a flypast with the Red Arrows during the flying display on Saturday 20 July. We are still working on something special for Sunday 21 July and will update you as soon as we can.

The BOAC 747's appearance at the airshow is one of a number of centenary initiatives organised by BA that are designed to look ahead at the next 100 years of aviation as well as celebrating its illustrious past.

Captain Allister Bridger, British Airways' Director of Flight Operations, said: "The excitement and pride that we've witnessed from our customers and colleagues towards our heritage liveries in our centenary year has been incomparable. We're hugely excited to bring one of our special aircraft to RAF Fairford as not only will the sight of our BOAC liveried 747 in the sky above RAF Fairford with the Red Arrows provide a wonderfully nostalgic moment for the Air Tattoo audience, but it also strengthens the long and valuable association we enjoy with the event."

Wing Commander Andrew Keith, Officer Commanding Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows said: "Flying alongside this British Airways Boeing 747 will be an exciting and memorable moment for both the pilots in the air and those watching on the ground. The Red Arrows team has been working hard with British Airways and the Air Tattoo for many months to create this opportunity. The RAF's own Centenary celebrations - marked a year ago - demonstrated the importance of using these high-profile occasions to inspire the next generation and we hope this flypast will be another chance to do that. The sortie will unite two highly recognisable brands of the United Kingdom and celebrate the very best of British."

Air Tattoo Chief Executive Andy Armstrong said: "The participation of British Airways aircraft in our flying displays over the years have often provided some of the most memorable aviation moments of the year and I am confident this summer will be no different. I can think of nothing better than to have one great British institution helping celebrate another!"
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 am

Be a pretty iconic sight to see that, with the 747 being a heritage livery of BOAC :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 am

nice update that certainly a bit different to the other stuff.
Tribute to 47 squadron

Zac Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac Hinchcliffe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Wow! Arguably (probably through surprise factor) the most excited I've been about an update so far! Excellent booking!
Flickr Page - Mainly RAF Coningsbyhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/140105351@N07/?

Date of last RAF Tornado seen in flight - 07/03/2019 - ZD744 / 092 storming Donna Nook

herc15

Post by herc15 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm

looking forward to that... may not be what people are going for but it could be worse and besides there is a ton of other stuff to do if that doesn't float your boat.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:57 pm

i think it's a nice addition. yeah it's not military, but it's something different

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Well, I'm not going to say I'm over the moon with this update. Maybe that's the kind of update you expect in week 4 or something. I mean a 747 is nice, but I see so many every day. Even though it is another dying breed, still not a riat item for me.

My son will like it though so all is well.

luke28

Post by luke28 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 pm

I can't see why it isn't a RIAT item, as far back as I can remember there have been airliners appearing.

Even the best RIAT of the modern era (2012) had an airliner display.

The A380 low approach and climb out after the flypast in 13 was excellent, hopefully the 747 will do something similar.

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi everyone

Sukhoi SSJ100 a few years ago... don't recall that aircraft causing so much fuss.

It's all a matter of opinion... which we are all entitled to voice.

If you don't mind this kind of thing then watch and enjoy it... if you do... then go to the stalls or somethiing esle whilst it's on. ...there's plenty to see and do.

For me... these shows are getting far and few between and I fear in the future they will become even less untill that day comes when we haven't got them at all.

So for me it's... go and enjoy the show and the experience... what every is flying... because one day... there might not be a show to go to and enjoy.

Regards.

T1

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Thread has been tidied due to the bickering. It is important to remember that as FighterControl is a forum it is for everyone to voice their opinion. If they like a particular update they can say so and if they dislike one they are equally entitled to voice that too without being attacked for having something negative to say. Respect peoples opinions and of course you can offer your view of why you believe that they are wrong but I don't want the thread to disappear down the toilet of arguments again! Cheers chaps! :thumb:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Tiger 1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 pm
If you don't mind this kind of thing then watch and enjoy it... if you do... then go to the stalls or somethiing esle whilst it's on. ...there's plenty to see and do.

For me... these shows are getting far and few between and I fear in the future they will become even less untill that day comes when we haven't got them at all.

So for me it's... go and enjoy the show and the experience... what every is flying... because one day... there might not be a show to go to and enjoy.

Regards.

T1
Couldn't agree any more than that mate, well said - we have to make the most of what is left of a diminishing airshow world (In the UK, at least)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 pm

As I said elsewhere. BA has a history at RIAT. Both Concorde and the A380 have flown there.

If nothing else, it will be a lasting memory of an aircraft that will soon be gone from our skies. I get people want the fast jets, but its just a flypast. Not like it will be taking up a 30 minute segment of the show.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Serious question out of curiosity as someone who enjoys both military and civil. If it were an E-4B or a VC-25 would it make any difference? After all what you really see is a Boeing 747 flying past. OK for the number crunchers yes I understand but as a spectacle?

Return to “RIAT”