Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal Navy Captain Sacked

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
C24

Re: Royal Navy Captain Sacked

Post by C24 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 am

His rank is Commodore, who was captain of the ship.

It is likely that there is more to this than has been (poorly) reported. Chances are that we will never know the full story.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Morseman

Post by Morseman » Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 am

In my 28 years service usually the Officers are asked to resign and keep the pension and other ranks are dismissed and loose everything.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Seems to me that they are being careless or even reckless with this officers career.

I bet even admiral Nelson fell foul of a few rules.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 am

His reported actions in the battle of Copenhagen for one and didn't he have some sort of extra marital relationSHIP?

Didn't he show his real colours in the end? Great bloke as I understand it.

Cast not the first stone!
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 am

slogen51 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 pm
Seems to me that they are being careless or even reckless with this officers career.

I bet even admiral Nelson fell foul of a few rules.
I suspect that the investigating party, and the RN HR people are probably closer to it than you or I, and more knowledgeable of contractual and other legal aspects to this, and took the correct actions.

Where do you draw the line, and suggest rules are bent for Officers? follow the rules, black and white and it's consistent and easy for everybody.
Last edited by Agent K on Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am

You only suspect that the investigating team are closer than me!

I am only looking from the side lines , maybe he told them to shove the Galaxy where the sun don't shine!

But if before he was the best officer for the defence of the realm then he still is as far as I'm concerned on the side lines.

Hawkwind26

Post by Hawkwind26 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 am

Do we know where he has been transferred to? He has been relieved of his command but found another position within the RN that will occupy his time thus easing the pressure on HR, removing lengthy legal procedures, negative image and despite the reduction in these times of defence manpower and cutbacks. Strange goings on indeed.

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 am

I'm ex RAF but like everything else these days OTT. whether in civvy street or not. No common sense here from the navy, just steaming ahead like a bull in a china shop!! I once had a boss who went round with a clipboard & pen looking for the slightest of errors!!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 am

The element of trust has been broken, would you put the UK's single biggest piece of the defence jigsaw in the hands of someone you could no longer trust. As has been said before he hasn't been sacked just removed from the command of the QE.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon May 20, 2019 11:20 am

Vulcan74 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 am
I'm ex RAF but like everything else these days OTT. whether in civvy street or not. No common sense here from the navy, just steaming ahead like a bull in a china shop!! I once had a boss who went round with a clipboard & pen looking for the slightest of errors!!
It's all OTT until you have to manage 30,000 people + to policies and regulations that are enforced inconsistently and then you have a huge problem and backlash on your hands. Best to have single and consistent application with enforcement through a repeatable framework.

Hear similar tired and jaded comments about H&S OTT and gone mad, which given it's there to protect people, I've never quite understood that argument either.

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm

He was the man-at-the-top of the Royal Navy's only capital ship, so in the top job in the grey Navy. You cannot be seen to put a foot out of line in that situation; but he did. End of...

toom317

Post by toom317 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Can you imagine being a serviceman up on a charge for using a service vehicle for private use, and having the officer in front of you sentancing you for it, when he's done the same, and had nothing happen to him? In the forces you can't just take a service vehicle and use it, on your civvy driving licence. There's a nice wee set of orders you have to read and sign before you are allowed to drive service vehicles, and this sort of stuff is covered in them.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon May 20, 2019 3:37 pm

When I initially posted this, at the time I believed it was a bit OTT and the way the "article" was written was very poor, I was under the impression it was a straight sacking.

It has been interesting seeing other people's reactions and opinions, and after reading them it does make sense that he was 'removed' from his role and is fulfilling a different one now. End of the day, rules are rules, and it would be unfair for him to have broken them and gone unpunished.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm

But now allowed to bring the Aircraft Carrier back to port!! you couldn't make it up, Not April fools is it!!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Trust and competence are not the same thing. Presumably the change in assignment will take effect on completion of the current tasking.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 am

Former commander of Joint Forces Command General Sir Richard Barrons summed it up nicely for me in the Telegraph which has caused me to change my opinion but I still think the Navy could have handled it better

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... -crew/amp/

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

Vulcan74 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm
But now allowed to bring the Aircraft Carrier back to port!! you couldn't make it up, Not April fools is it!!
He was apparently helicoptered off, before it left Rosyth, according to news reports in Scotland
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”