Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Red-Eye-Knight

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 am

More added to the static this time from the Royal Navy they are sending a Wildcat HMA.2, Hawk T-1, King Air and Merlin HM.2.....Great stuff always a pleasure to see these up close.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Nice boost to the static, though not overly bothered by them. Merlin is the only one that stands out for me today.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Bit of an underwhelming update again, looking forward to some further updates with something with a bit of a wow factor. I'm not knocking RIAT, I brought my ticket before Christmas and I will enjoy my day, but a few of the updates are leaving me a bit cold.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Hawk T1 is the last classic of the armed forces, much prefer her to the T2.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:38 pm

It's a great update and I can't believe all of the negativity year after year from certain members, it's absolutely pathetic. :grr:
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

raptor76

Post by raptor76 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:38 pm
It's a great update and I can't believe all of the negativity year after year from certain members, it's absolutely pathetic. :grr:
So do you really expect some of us to jump for joy on every update then you are sadly mistaken. I really enjoy RIAT and I'm looking forward to this years show, the updates we had last week and on Tuesday were excellent but today's update does not rock my boat. We are all different and enjoy different types of aircraft and to say I am constantly leaving negative comments about RIAT then you are truly wrong. I am an optimist and truly believe we have some excellent updates to come and dbh work extremely hard to bring us excellent shows year in and year out, but like I said for me this update doesn't rock my boat.

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:38 pm

raptor76 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:53 pm
Mike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:38 pm
So do you really expect some of us to jump for joy on every update then you are sadly mistaken. I really enjoy RIAT and I'm looking forward to this years show, the updates we had last week and on Tuesday were excellent but today's update does not rock my boat. We are all different and enjoy different types of aircraft and to say I am constantly leaving negative comments about RIAT then you are truly wrong. I am an optimist and truly believe we have some excellent updates to come and dbh work extremely hard to bring us excellent shows year in and year out, but like I said for me this update doesn't rock my boat.
Oh Christ! Did I say that only you were constantly leaving negative comments about RIAT? The answer to that is no :roll:

Seeing an update confirming that four Royal Navy aircraft will attend the static park is great news, however seeing a comment from yourself that just says "Meh" is rather sad, what would you say after RIAT if the Royal Navy hadn't bothered attending at all?

If an update doesn't rock your boat (if you have one) then it's best to say nothing - which is just 3 letters less than "Meh". ;)
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 pm

As I have may have been accused about making negative comments about the Navy joining the static display, in my mind it would have been much better if it had said the Navy was joining with the Sea Fury and Swordfish making an appearance in the flying display.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Can't see anything in 21 pages of this thread that says they are.

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Who's to say they won't be added in the coming weeks? There is still plenty of time for aircraft to be added just hope the announcements in the coming weeks have more items rather the 3 or 4 a week.

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:07 pm

And the annual b*tchfest continues. I'm sure most of us seem to be fully grown men when we see one another at shows and around the fence lines of bases, but sometimes a wonder if there's just a lot of kids stuck in the past and never grow up?!

We should be grateful for everything we get. As huge varieties of aircraft retire and cease to exist in this "millennial" era and we are left with very little to float most enthusiasts boats, just take it, enjoy it for what it is. There is no cold War, this isn't the 90's, it simply is not the same as it was and will always decrease in impact.

Just enjoy it gentlemen.

Stay positive

Stay happy

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:44 am

Well said, Pete ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 am

Do these people that moan about the attendees actually attend themselves. As it seems pretty simple to me, if you don’t like what’s attending then save your money and don’t go.

Rumour warning!!

Hearing rumblings from non official sources in Greece that F-4’s are hoping to attend again, fingers crossed for those that attend. If I hear anymore I’ll post.

Supra

Post by Supra » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 am

"When I were a boy we had to get-up before we went to bed just to see everything in a day! In those halcyon days...." :Wow:
Of course there's gonna be a longing for past glories, but is anybody seriously not going to attend RIAT just on the strength of advance listings. I'm going anyway! I personally don't get any benefit from these updates. Most are just pandering to the "need to know" brigade who will be the first to complain when the much vaunted 'Tibet Air Force Dead-Duck Mk II" doesn't attend due to whatever?
For those longing to see the more exotic aircraft of the world still flying today, cancel your Mach3 standing order & put the money towards travelling to where your 'dream jobbie' still operates. It's a personal choice thing! :thumb:
PS:- Don't miss the last-call Air-show for JASDF Phantoms at Hyakuri later this year! ;)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:31 am

That’s the way I look at it Supra, if you want to see it then you go to it :thumb:

turmo

Post by turmo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Mike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:38 pm
Seeing an update confirming that four Royal Navy aircraft will attend the static park is great news, however seeing a comment from yourself that just says "Meh" is rather sad, what would you say after RIAT if the Royal Navy hadn't bothered attending at all?
Frankly if they'd skipped RIAT and just put out a line saying "we're concentrating on Yeovilton" I'd have respected them somewhat.

Instead it's the biggest military airshow on the Navy's patch, and all they bother to do is send four statics, just so that they have some backdrop for the recruiting stalls. That's *using* RIAT, not contributing.

Not even the Black Cats solo. Pathetic.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Still maybe confirmed at a later date.

No point getting yourself worked up about it! :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Seacat192

Post by Seacat192 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:41 pm

turmo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 pm
Mike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:38 pm
Frankly if they'd skipped RIAT and just put out a line saying "we're concentrating on Yeovilton" I'd have respected them somewhat.

Instead it's the biggest military airshow on the Navy's patch, and all they bother to do is send four statics, just so that they have some backdrop for the recruiting stalls. That's *using* RIAT, not contributing.

Not even the Black Cats solo. Pathetic.
There isn't a Navy demo team, other than the solo Black Cat as far as I know, and I seem to remember posts from previous years saying that solo helicopters aren't suited to the longer display area at RIAT, and I dare say a single Hawk or Avenger would get 'lost' as well - so more negative comments would follow.

OK, the Navy host my local display so may be a bit biased :whistle: , but I'm looking forward to spending two days at RIAT in a few months time, seeing whatever aircraft have been allocated to the Show from the various Air Arms around the world.

Relax, it'll be fine...………………….
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER - Somerset Wing

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 pm

What he said ;) :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

wonkybob

Post by wonkybob » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:36 pm

RN only have the wildcat solo display. The historic aircraft like the swordfish and sea fury were recently handed over to a charity so they are classified as civilian now.

Return to “RIAT”