Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Red Arrows RAF Scampton air base to be sold off

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
C24

Re: Red Arrows RAF Scampton air base to be sold off

Post by C24 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:25 am

Thank you for the explanation Gary, it really does seem like magic. I will try to be less pompous when next posting :roll:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... e_stations Amongst this lists are numerous HM Prisons too numerous to list. If RAF Scampton is in such a bad state of repair it could be a likely candidate.

Warning if you click on anything you will be engrossed for hours ie RAF Fauld Explosion.

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 am

Silly me I did what I suggested should not be done but it does make interesting reading.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Major thread resurrection, apologies.

Wittering, Waddington & Leeming are the three bases being considered for the Reds.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 pm

I think Waddington was included just to give the impression they are trying to keep them in Lincolnshire.
The amount of petitions set up in and around Lincoln to keep the base open and the reds in 'bomber county' has been unreal.

Not sure which way they will go, depends which base is the best for the new R313.

Mike

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Surprised Cranwell hasn't been mentioned? Or has it?

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Waddington cant be a serious contender surely? the amount of down days required to allow them to practice their displays would mean the Waddington fleet would be grounded far too much.

wonder how many of them petitions are signed by people that know that the Red Arrows are from Gloucestershire originally?

Wes...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32846945@N06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm

I'd throw in my 2 pence worth. Leeming would be logistically the best option, having all the T1 fleet and maintenance in one base with training air space available at Chruch Fenton.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 pm
I think Waddington was included just to give the impression they are trying to keep them in Lincolnshire.
The amount of petitions set up in and around Lincoln to keep the base open and the reds in 'bomber county' has been unreal.

Not sure which way they will go, depends which base is the best for the new R313.

Mike
Waddo and Wittering, geographically, are much the same in a fast jet! As you say, it depends where the new R313 replacement is. Cottesmore is of course MoD land and relatively recently inactive, so could be an option depending on the surrounding airspace - from memory there's controlled airspace about 5 miles or so west of Cottesmore. Reactivating the ATC tower and fire/medical facilities to provide basic support to display practices would probably be reasonably painless and cheap.
Waddington cant be a serious contender surely? the amount of down days required to allow them to practice their displays would mean the Waddington fleet would be grounded far too much.
On the assumption the Reds retain the use of a remote training area for display practice, a base like Waddo, with relatively infrequent home based movements (and aircraft big enough that can take their training elsewhere quite easily), is probably preferable to a busy training base. Slot timing etc would be a lot easier to coordinate. Also, with the potential changes to the make up of the ISTAR fleets (Sentinel going, Sentry possibly being replaced) there is a chance of some reasonable real estate being freed up too. Wittering lacks the immediately available hangarage perhaps now its focus is logistics and is full of Tutors; not ideal at all.
Last edited by ColintheCaterpillar on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 am

PeteHemsley wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm
I'd throw in my 2 pence worth. Leeming would be logistically the best option, having all the T1 fleet and maintenance in one base with training air space available at Chruch Fenton.
Fenton is now a private airfield and very close to the existing airfield at Sherburn-in-Elmet, who might not be best pleased. Depending on what the do with Linton on Ouse that may be an option for the new airspace, as it's already in existing clear training airspace (much as R313 is).

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 am

Woodbridge! No other airfields close by and the North Sea within 1 mile to practice over. MoD have recently decided not to dispose of it (Rock Barracks as it is now called).
:halo:

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am

Snoop 95 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 am
Woodbridge! No other airfields close by and the North Sea within 1 mile to practice over. MoD have recently decided not to dispose of it (Rock Barracks as it is now called).
Single engined aircraft, sea... Bird risk!

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

reaper493 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Mike
Sorry, what's the R313? For, me it would be Leeming for Hawk logistics but hey, it's the MoD and that will be the reason they don't go to Leeming :roll:

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 am
PeteHemsley wrote:
Fenton is now a private airfield and very close to the existing airfield at Sherburn-in-Elmet, who might not be best pleased. Depending on what the do with Linton on Ouse that may be an option for the new airspace, as it's already in existing clear training airspace (much as R313 is).
I'm fully aware of Fenton's operations. Linton would be ideal in regards to airspace, but until the tucanos leave or disband it won't happen.

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am

Pat Murphy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

...Sorry, what's the R313...?
It's the block of controlled airspace above and around Scampton, specifically allocated for Red Arrows training and operations.

Phoon

Post by Phoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 am

PeteHemsley wrote:
As other's have mentioned CF is now a private airfield but Topcliffe (I think not due for disposal) remain in MOD hands and could easily be used, it's also very close to Leeming.

If they moved to Waddington they have the airspace at that base which is hardly busy available, plus could transit to Cranwell or Barkeston. When based permanently at Cranwell between 1995 - 2000 they often displayed over Cranwell, and it was a lot busier then than now.

Likewise at Wittering Barkeston / Cranwell are all only a few mins flying time away.

Pros and cons for all three listed bases but I'd think any are suitable.

Campbell89

Post by Campbell89 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am
Snoop 95 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 am
Single engined aircraft, sea... Bird risk!
Wouldn’t that be the case for Valley as well yet they still have the T2’s there.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:13 am

if they moved to Waddington they could still use Romeo 313 Airspace!!
Comfortably Numb

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am

With the proposed use of Scampton being for housing, R313 would cease to exist.

Mike

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:38 am

Seahornet1 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am
Pat Murphy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

...Sorry, what's the R313...?
It's the block of controlled airspace above and around Scampton, specifically allocated for Red Arrows training and operations.
Ta, Something new everyday :)

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”