Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Machloop ban

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ravendriver2008

Re: Machloop ban

Post by Ravendriver2008 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 am

Ghastly Whisper wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:07 am
ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 am
T_J wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:51 pm
The person who filmed it openly admitted on Twitter that she had a contact in the low flying booking system.
That could pretty much be any aircrew member/ops staff member in HM Forces who does low flying.
Which, if the Official Secrets act has been broken the person involved can get tracked back and prosecuted, although extremely unlikely.

This whole thing has a funny smell to it, like that wiff you get on a summers night, when moving too close to a herd of Bulls. Worse things than that video happen in the hills, so its not the real reason for a so called ban, theres something else, most if not all military pilots will admit to getting things wrong in the de-brief after landing, after all if you cant admit to getting things wrong how do you improve? have the RAF actually said anything? could they be moving away from low level flying?
Thought for a fleeting moment Ghost Whisperer, you said ‘like a wiff you get on Ann Summers night’ lol 💋

Said poster , she follows me in Twitter ...have seen her comments in defence. Ghost Whisperer is right, there’s more to the story than either one Tiffy pilot breaking the low level rules and one videographer capturing it , putting it on public social media platform hence getting it in the neck for doing so. What’s more interesting is if it’s true her insider knowledge and whether it’s gonna give cause Provost investigation..

Cheers

steamy

Post by steamy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 am

loose lips, sinks low flying areas
5cabaa953bd37c3e357e779bb82aa195eda3b2afa2bdd19594a7162c4f7497be

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am

Anyone would think the world had ended lol.

Flying may resume at some point. Until then go to Heathrow!

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 am

its a bit like you've been framed strange how some things are captured at the rite moment or prewarned or set up to start with!??? :D
Comfortably Numb

Green133

Post by Green133 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Blackcat1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Just a shame this had to happen during the final months of Tornado.
Agree Blackcat1

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Chris, watching aircraft land & take off is nothing like seeing them down in the valleys , sadly maybe too late for Tornado to be seen in the Loop again, oh well at least I've got memories of 30 years of low flying when it was worth the trip!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Blackcat1 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm
Chris, watching aircraft land & take off is nothing like seeing them down in the valleys , sadly maybe too late for Tornado to be seen in the Loop again, oh well at least I've got memories of 30 years of low flying when it was worth the trip!
No comparison as you say Gareth - and yes, it was sad it had to rob the Tornado in its last months! :grr:

You'll just have to remember those gorgeous camo painted Tornados low level :thumbs:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Oh yes mate my local the Usk valley used to get beat up by them and of course the days of the TTTE at low level.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

acs1951

Post by acs1951 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pm

There was clearly an error by the pilot here who only realised too late that he was coming in too low. We should be very grateful that he got out of it alive and stop all this moaning. The person who never made a mistake never made anything.
As for the young lady, you need to think abiuts the saying in bowling film The big Lebowski":
"It's like Lenin said, you look for who benefits" .

I live in Malvern and the only jets through in the last 3-4 weeks have been commercials taking a short cut.

Andrew Smith
BTW I am one of the lucky ones who saw a Tornado in the Loop on 1/10/18 (the only plane seen in two days). It is a poor picture that I would post if only I knew how.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Sadly the Malvern's are as quiet as South Wales. Thd Daventry corridor is mostly used by Tornados . Take me back to the days of Harriers & Jaguars like Tornados who were the most common RAF type that used the Daventry RC and used Evesham and the Malvern hills as their entry point for Wales.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 am

Yes, as I mentioned before about how busy the Malverns were as an entry point in the 80s etc. Back then, if travelling up the M5, we always had our eyes out ready for any jets transiting across; and it was rare not to see anything! Great days!

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm

I get to go to the loop quite a bit from where i live, and once there and chatting, you'd be surprised at the amount of different people there 'in the know'.

I've been tipped off on F-15's due, Tornado's due, even a Typhoon or 2, and not from the same person and certainly before they have even taken off from their respective bases. and most of the tip off's include T.O.T. as well, not just 'there's a Tornado due this afternoon'

There are leaks out there, that's ok, it's peace time, but leaks are leaks eh, and where do you stop?
I must admit my preference would be for no outflow of information from whoever and to just turn up and be surprised / disappointed (delete as appropriate).

Not sure how this slots in with current feeling regarding the 'ban', which, in my opinion, is a bit like cutting your nose off, after all it's a low flying area. and presumably it cuts down RAF low flying a fair bit. Surely a word with said pilot, and a memorandum to all pilots warning of measures that would be taken would have been enough, or do we now punish all for the errors of 1? That's a bit 'school classroom' petulance to me.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Any incident that may be seen to have "potential to cause harm" has to be investigated fully and if that means a suspension then that is for the experts to determine. It doesn't matter whether it is the armed forces, public services or industry. I've worked for 35 years in a network company where there is a real risk if things go wrong. Safe practices are vital and that has always been the main priority to protect staff, public and the network itself. So it isn't about punishment - it is about protection and that includes all of us.

Green133

Post by Green133 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 pm

The Phantom wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 am
Yes, as I mentioned before about how busy the Malverns were as an entry point in the 80s etc. Back then, if travelling up the M5, we always had our eyes out ready for any jets transiting across; and it was rare not to see anything! Great days!
Yes Phantom.Glad it just wasn't me doing exactly the same.Not just the M5 either.I travelled all over the country for work and more often than not used to see something fly past.

Green133

Post by Green133 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Nnthusiast wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm
I get to go to the loop quite a bit from where i live, and once there and chatting, you'd be surprised at the amount of different people there 'in the know'.

I've been tipped off on F-15's due, Tornado's due, even a Typhoon or 2, and not from the same person and certainly before they have even taken off from their respective bases. and most of the tip off's include T.O.T. as well, not just 'there's a Tornado due this afternoon'

There are leaks out there, that's ok, it's peace time, but leaks are leaks eh, and where do you stop?
I must admit my preference would be for no outflow of information from whoever and to just turn up and be surprised / disappointed (delete as appropriate).

Not sure how this slots in with current feeling regarding the 'ban', which, in my opinion, is a bit like cutting your nose off, after all it's a low flying area. and presumably it cuts down RAF low flying a fair bit. Surely a word with said pilot, and a memorandum to all pilots warning of measures that would be taken would have been enough, or do we now punish all for the errors of 1? That's a bit 'school classroom' petulance to me.
You can tell if something is due when certain names pop up on the FB groups on the day.When I'm there and I see that happy days :D

phantomrob

Post by phantomrob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 pm

is anything using the loop at the moment ?
If it is just the RAF that are banned ,are the Americans and Warton aircraft flying through there still ?

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 am

phantomrob wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 pm
is anything using the loop at the moment ?
If it is just the RAF that are banned ,are the Americans and Warton aircraft flying through there still ?
I saw on a facebook page that they have extended the RAF ban for another 3 months.
Don't know if that is correct; but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 am

Yes the USAFE still use it, also Warton. They had the Saudi Tornado through last week. Next ban review for the RAF is in April/May apparently .
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am

Blackcat1 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm
The RAF are still carrying out low flying in other areas including the tornado fleet. There's more to low flying than the loop

rainers

Post by rainers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:38 am

PeteHemsley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am
The RAF are still carrying out low flying in other areas including the tornado fleet. There's more to low flying than the loop
I was told that RAF Tornados are currently banned from flying low level. Not just in the loop, but anywhere. All sorties will now be medium-level. Unless you know any different?

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”