Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Damage to fence near CG1

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
iskra750

Damage to fence near CG1

Post by iskra750 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 am

Good Morning,

Yesterday an aircraft enthusiast had been observed by others to be deliberately damaging the fence-line in the vicinity of CG1.

Such actions by individuals cannot be justified by anyone, there is no requirement or justification to cause damage to property for any reason and as such these actions cause the relationship between the relevant Unit and aviation enthusiast to be strained at the best of times.

It is individuals like these that spoil it for the rest of the enthusiast, and as one I am quiet ashamed that an individual can act this way, thus giving the aviation enthusiast community a bad name.

Thank you to the individual for reporting the incident and I encourage more to do so when they see unjustified and illegal act as this taking place.

Regards
Iskra750

Spotterwatch Co-Ordinator

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

Mike

Re: Damage to fence near CG1

Post by Mike » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 am

Looks like it's not just happened at Coningsby :- http://www.egxwinfogroup.co.uk/?p=2608
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:49 am

Can't believe the sense of some people.

If I see it will defo attempt to gather photographic evidence & report it, hopefully others on here will do the same.
Suspect if it were to carry on we'd eventually end up with the screening everywhere like they had at Mildenhall a while ago (It may still be there but not been)

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

This is absurd, and appalling. There is simply no justification whatsoever, and it will only cause an end to our hobby.

Incidentally, Andy - the screening at Folly Road has now been removed.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Name and shame, if they are an FCer ban them. I for one will report it if I see it
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am

Did anyone actually stop him as they "observed" or just let him get on with it and then moan about it on the internet?

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 am

Safer to make a call

: 01526 347780 Let the younger, fitter and well prepared to intervene.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation ... ontact-us/
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

I've commented on this a few times before both on here and in other locations and it is totally selfish and stupid.

RAF Coningsby clearly appreciates that there is interest in their operations, and the interaction with crews waving etc is a great bit of PR. It would be all to easy for them to replace the fence with a taller fence that is much harder to look through. The stupidest thing of all is that if you chose the location from where you want to take your photo carefully, all but the shortest people can see clean over the fence anyway.

I was told last time I was there that the temporary fencing was put in place because a lorry turning round actually broke a couple of the concrete posts and that the temporary fencing was there to help support the fence until it could be fixed properly.

Fencing like this doesn't cost a fortune:

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/chain-li ... wire-p-945

Despite having nothing to do with the damage to the fence if people wanted to do a bit of crowd funding, I'd gladly chip in. Perhaps receipt of a cheque helping with the cost of the fence repairs would make the base look favourably on the aviation community and earn us some brownie points?

ps - Im not suggesting that specific fencing as its perhaps a little to high but it shows typical costings.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:07 am

Amazing that at a busy place like Coningsby, a so-called enthusiast can be cutting through a fence and nobody says anything or phones the police?!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:22 am

The original post says it was reported.

Pune

Post by Pune » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 am

The Phantom wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:07 am
Amazing that at a busy place like Coningsby, a so-called enthusiast can be cutting through a fence and nobody says anything or phones the police?!
I think photographic evidence would help, and I too am appalled that some mindless individual would cause damage in the name of "Aviation Enthusiast" when in fact he/she is no more that a vandal; do we know what the extent of the damage is?
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am

What about a description of the person that did this, someone might know him

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Unbelievable activity; difficult to believe that this is done in the name of this hobby, for an image.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 pm

It's madness. Past being a hobby to becoming an obsession for some.

Surely the fun is in getting the numbers or photos using your knowledge and the given circumstances not by vandalism and trespass.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Sadly the mentality of some that I must get the numbers or a photograph is getting too rife. All down to the internet I am afraid which alerts the masses to what is around.

Pune

Post by Pune » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 pm

plmc135 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 pm
Sadly the mentality of some that I must get the numbers or a photograph is getting too rife. All down to the internet I am afraid which alerts the masses to what is around.
I don't think it's the internet, it is the way you are brought up, to know right from wrong. which in this case the person involved obviously doesn't.. :S
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Aside from right or wrong,

I think what plmc135 is attempting to point out is the explosion of new blood to the hobby care of the likes of Social Meeedya… Look at some of the Facebook groups out there....

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 am

Vulcanone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 pm

I think what plmc135 is attempting to point out is the explosion of new blood to the hobby care of the likes of Social Meeedya… Look at some of the Facebook groups out there....
Perfectly correct. Anytime there's an exercise anywhere now there's always trouble - several times there have been junk and mess left at Lakenheath while visiting aircraft are there and it has been crowded out with the internet generation.

Pune

Post by Pune » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 am

The Phantom wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 am
Vulcanone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Perfectly correct. Anytime there's an exercise anywhere now there's always trouble - several times there have been junk and mess left at Lakenheath while visiting aircraft are there and it has been crowded out with the internet generation.
I take your points completely, so I guess it's up to us that follow some kind of unwritten rules to report those that don't to the powers that be.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am

Far simpler than that - it is up to law-abiding citizens to report criminal activity!

Return to “RAF Coningsby”