Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Red Arrows RAF Scampton air base to be sold off

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
capttom

ARROWS RAF HOME FOR SALE

Post by capttom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm

The red Arrows base is to be Offloaded by the skint ministry of defence. RAF SCAMPTONS shock sale comes less than five years after a £6millon upgrade. it is not known where the reds will move to after 2022 but a source said they hope to stay in the area. six hundred people work at the Lincolnshire base. the insider said we know the local community will not be happy but the numbers don't lie. " its a far better use of money to sell. one thing is certain the red arrows future is safe. in the last two years the MoD has been making plans to offload a third of its estate by 2040 to save on the £2.5billion annual maintenance coats. RAF Linton-on- Ouse, a training base which employs 300 in north Yorkshire, will be shut by 2020. RAF SCAMPTON found fame as the DAMBUSTERS HQ and became home to the reds 20 years ago. it may be used for housing. the MoD said :every penny raised will be invested back into defence.

This shocking news hearing about this base CLOSEING down, they were going make into a aviation heritage centre with hotel with the BOD flight, it has very good museum dedicated to the Dambusters and Guy Gibson closing this museum Knowing that it holds so much history, how can you loose the memory of those brave lads who did not return

PS we should save this base let us hear your views capptom.

Dazza37

Re: ARROWS RAF HOME FOR SALE

Post by Dazza37 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:12 pm

So you didn't bother reading the thread already running on this subject then?

-Dazza
I rock, you don't...

reheat module

Re: Red Arrows RAF Scampton air base to be sold off

Post by reheat module » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 pm

It's worth realising that the MoD is not run by Senior Officer Core personnel, it is managed (as it has been now for many years), by bean-counters and fiscal agencies who see prime land, estate and opportunities to save money everywhere.
With such a huge bill for defence (covering everything from limited procurement to pensions [Hurrah]), it has to be paid for somewhere.
In the great balance book of Whitehall, history and prestige does not carry the glamour or need of savings.
It's also dangerous to suggest that RAFAT is always safe...
Last edited by reheat module on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:09 pm

To add a bit of clarity to the heritage site idea here's what I posted on UKAR this morning, there's lots of information about the proposal in the weblink!

"Secondly there was a feasibility study done via Lincs County Council (LCC) about using the Scampton site for aviation - those discussions are referenced in here http://lincolnshire.moderngov.co.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=1891

Since then most of the LCC heritage services inc. the BBMF Visitor Centre @ Coningsby have been earmarked to move out of direct council control."
Last edited by NAM Updater on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Capttom. Time to join the real world.

Drinkmat

Post by Drinkmat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 pm

While I was in the RAF, the Reds weren't as popular among certain elements of the RAF as they were with the general public. I was around when they were moved to Marham & Cranwell. I was told that both breathed a collective sigh of relief when they were moved back to Scampton, as their training regime was so limiting to other operators. Telling the Tornado force that their airspace was embargoed six times a day flew like a lead balloon.

Wittering gets my vote as the only logical choice towards the centre of the country, although I don't pretend to be up to date with current airspace in that area, as others on here no doubt will be. Far enough away from Coningsby and Cranwell for them the breath a sigh of relief and possibly causing no disruption to operational training.

Any speculation as to what might happen to the grave of the dog I dare not mention in public for fear of being arrested?

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Drinkmat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 pm
While I was in the RAF, the Reds weren't as popular among certain elements of the RAF as they were with the general public. I was around when they were moved to Marham & Cranwell. I was told that both breathed a collective sigh of relief when they were moved back to Scampton, as their training regime was so limiting to other operators. Telling the Tornado force that their airspace was embargoed six times a day flew like a lead balloon.

Wittering gets my vote as the only logical choice towards the centre of the country, although I don't pretend to be up to date with current airspace in that area, as others on here no doubt will be. Far enough away from Coningsby and Cranwell for them the breath a sigh of relief and possibly causing no disruption to operational training.

Any speculation as to what might happen to the grave of the dog I dare not mention in public for fear of being arrested?
I hear ya fella.
I was on Central Flying School at Scampton in the late 80s and very early 90s.
We had a line of up to 20+ JP 3/5, Tucano and Bulldogs.
For up to 6 times a day, our planned programme was at best 'disrupted', at worse scrapped to accommodate RAFAT.
Often our aircraft landed away at Waddington as the airspace was blocked from the moment the aircrew walked for the Hawks.
Great bunch of engineers, but the Sqn comes with operational baggage...
Can't see Waddington or Coningsby accepting such constraints.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm

I wonder what will happen to Air Defence unit based there and further more if its used for housing what about the underground bomb storage units on the north side,( Radio Active) ???
Comfortably Numb

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Cranwell? Good area to practice over the North Sea.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Reports on another forum strongly suggest RAF Wittering as the new home of the Reds

DJ17

Post by DJ17 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm

When did an "RAF Station" become an "air base?" Honestly.

Fighterfoto

Post by Fighterfoto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Whatever other forums say the decision has genuinely not yet been taken on where RAFAT will move to.
Never trust a grown man with a nickname

rh226

Post by rh226 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Next related question (but nothing to do with the Reds) is ...... what about HHA?
Cheers, Bob

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Somebody (though I cannot remember who) mentioned Yeovilton as a possibility for HHA.

Gus0898uk

Post by Gus0898uk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Wittering has been mentioned but wasn't there a suggestion in the past for the Reds to move to Leeming, but the (rubbernecking) drivers on the adjacent A1 put paid to that idea. Hmmm.

DaleRFU

Post by DaleRFU » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 am

I remember a while ago that with a new typhoon squadron standing up at Coningsby that the bbmf might of relocated to scampton, (if there was any truth in that I don't know) I guess they will not be moving there if it's closing.

Leering would be my choice (not that I get one) for the Reds given the vast amount of airspace around North Yorkshire especially with Linton closing down.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:47 am

DaleRFU wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 am
I remember a while ago that with a new typhoon squadron standing up at Coningsby that the bbmf might of relocated to scampton, (if there was any truth in that I don't know) I guess they will not be moving there if it's closing.

Leering would be my choice (not that I get one) for the Reds given the vast amount of airspace around North Yorkshire especially with Linton closing down.
Is it really vast amounts of airspace they need, surely they need airspace from the ground to say 12,000ft? Having lived in Yorkshire for my younger life next to RAF Leeming I'd suggest a lot of that Yorkshire airspace wouldn't suit the needs (lack of clear centreline/runway, hilly, foggy, rainy, not flat etc.)

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 am

I have heard that duxford was actually offered money to house both the reds and bbmf

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:35 am

You are, of course, joking!!!. [I hope!!] :S Impossible. It's under Luton's approach and within Stansted's control zone!!!.

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:07 am

BBMF will go eventually to Duxford I am sure, the Lancaster has a hangar there and the engineering experts are now in private co's at Duxford. Reds could go any where but Valley seems the most likely.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”