Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Latest spam doing the rounds

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
welshandy

Latest spam doing the rounds

Post by welshandy » Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm

We have had a couple of these now.

Notice to Appear,

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.
The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.

Truly yours,
Clerk to the Court.
Lisa Mason

welshandy

Re: Latest spam doing the rounds

Post by welshandy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 am

Another this morning, see if you can tell it's a spam. ;)

Get Your Free £20 BP Voucher(starts off ok, then!!!)

Also get your entry to win a brand new Volkswagen Corsa!
Efficient, Reliable and Smart!
Let the Corsa 3 door put the fun back into driving

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Here's mine, received today

Dear Partington. I am Cohen Richard, a Fiduciary Officer to Late Mrs.Zinaida. Please kindly contact me back there is an important issue I need to discuss with you concerning my late client Mrs. Zinaida, ($8.5 Million) unclaimed estate before the fund gets confiscated by the bank, their mandate is just at the corner. I know this email will come to you in an odd manner as you have not received any prior communication from me before now. I will most acknowledge your prompt response.

Obviously genuine and trustworthy.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ramjet

Post by ramjet » Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 am

I got a phone call yesterday from my Solicitor, he had an Indian accent, strange as I haven't got a Solicitor! I put the phone down.
Be careful out there peeps.

Cheers, Rog.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Wed May 28, 2014 3:30 pm

I've had a few marriage proposal from African Princesses recently too! :whistle:
Aviation - “You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.” :thumb:

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Got hacked earlier this year and everyone on my address book was circulated with a message saying I was marooned in Sweden. A lot of the replied suggesting I stayed there :O

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm

I've got a nice one for all the phone calls, shove the phone in the microphone hole in my bass drum and have a 10 minute practice session... :whistle: :lol:

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 pm

There is also a scam going around with people threatening to delete everything off of Ipads/Iphones

ramjet

Post by ramjet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 am

Got a new one this morning from Virgin Media, actually looks fairly realistic until I saw the attachment.
Also, when I actually read through it the English was terrible.

Be careful out there!

Cheers, Roger.

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

I was at my parents home & received a telephone call from "microsoft" informing me of the virus on my PC and they could remove it for £29.99. They didn't see the funny side of me laughing down the phone at them until I mentioned we have 2 mac's and a Google Chromebook in the house......

Davieboy106

Post by Davieboy106 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Arrived in my in box this evening.

UNITED NATIONS OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL OVERSIGHT SERVICES
Internal Audit,Monitoring,Consulting And Investigations Division.

My name is Ms. Carman L. Lapointe, from the United Nations. It is a distinct pleasure to write you again and as you are well aware many foreigners have invested thousands of United States Dollars into Nigeria transactions in Hopeless Dreams to have none of them become a reality.

Right now, as directed by our secretary general Mr.Ban Ki-Moon, We have agreed with the Nigeria Government that US$100,000.00 (One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) would be paid to you through the Western Union Money Transfer Via special arrangement as first installment.

This is to enable you have enough funds to pay for the Tax Clearance and bank charges before you will receive the balance of US$4.1M (Four Million One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only). Please take note that you will pay US$185 only, being Notarization fee and this is the only financial obligation that you will undertake to receive the US$100,000.00 (One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) through the Western Union Money Transfer.

Lastly,i will like you to reconfirm your information to me such as your full name, address and telephone number so that I will proceed with your Western Union Money Transfer within the next 24 hrs and the transaction information will be released to you.

I await your response for further proceedings.

Sincerely yours,

Ms. Carman L. Lapointe
{Under-Secretary-General}
United Nations
If at first you don't succeed, parachutings not for you.

Red Hound

Post by Red Hound » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Received several e-mails this year stating that unless I confirmed my data via the link provided my account with the named bank would be frozen. Most of the banks named I have never had an account with and when my own bank was named my account has continued to function without the supposedly required verification.

Quite a few e-mails requiring a payment before a parcel can be delivered too.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 am

We've seen a massive growth of these at work (I work for an IT Security Company) in the pas few months.

Popular at the moment in the corporate world

Notice to Appear
Parking FInes - All those that received those were parked in the same private car park at the same time
Lloyds/TSB/Halifax/HSBC - Email asking you to click on a link to logon & verify details, we've investigated the link & it's a very convincing copy of the said banks login page.
UPS Parcel deliverys - Non payment of customs charges

Take this quiz & see how many you spot - I can verify that the link is 100% legit on the McAfee website

https://phishingquiz.mcafee.com/home/blog

ramjet

Post by ramjet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Getting lots of emails about herpes at the moment.
Must be a big problem out there, be careful folks!! :lol:

Rog.

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 am

as regards spam calls rather than mails, i'm getting blitzed by recordings telling me i'm entitled to a gov't boiler replacement, or "the government wants every home to have an electric car charging point - even if you don't have an electric car!"
goddamn things are mostly "unavailable" or "w/held" so my blocker doesn't work.

i'm especially leery of the charging point - despite being free, it smacks of the "free" installation of roofed solar panels; sounds good until you get to the small print which says the "free" contract actually involves the panel suppliers now having a rent agreement on your roof and therefore you can't sell the house etc w/out buying out that contract.

ramjet

Post by ramjet » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Lots of dodgy emails out there again folks as it's coming up to Xmas, be careful!

Cheers & regards, Rog.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:51 pm

ramjet wrote:Lots of dodgy emails out there again folks as it's coming up to Xmas, be careful!

Cheers & regards, Rog.
Yup, just don't open any attachments from anyone unknown to you. ;)
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I hate these nuisance calls, especially the ones trying to tell me I'm entitled to a government funded boiler... free home insulation... free solar panels etc.

The best one I received was offering me a free charging point for an electric car, a call which I decided to engage in conversation and ask the caller why an electric car was better than a petrol car, to which they proceeded to tell me that electric vehicles were environmentally friendly an did not create pollution like an internal combustion engine and all that sort of nonsense.
I then put it to them that it was all a load of crap, because the electric vehicles were being charged by electricity produced by a coal fired power station, which in turn would of course still be creating pollution for the requirements of a supposedly environmentally friendly electric car. I said to the caller "what do you think about that then?" The poor lady on the end couldn't give me an answer, and they haven't called me anymore! Happy days!!!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Here`s mine from today,

Phone rings.....hello.....Hi my name is @@@@@@@ I`m ringing from your internet provider, there is a problem with your security.

Oh my god says I do you mean theres a problem with Virgin .....Yes.....(I`m not on Virgin)
OK what do I need to do.....log on to your ISP........you need to load this software......OK its loaded....now let me se....funny I cant see your computer
Why do you need to see my computer.....so I can check if it is running OK......it is....according to our records it has been hacked....no it hasn't, well, not yet. You want to hack into it don't you, No I`m from Virgin....pretty good to say I`m not on VIrgin....here follows many expletives in Anglo Saxon.

Guess what they hung up. Still I suppose it was better than daytime TV :lol: :lol:
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:50 pm

deerhunter wrote: Still I suppose it was better than daytime TV :lol: :lol:
I'm not so sure, Rachel Riley is on Countdown on Channel 4 just now. :whistle:
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Return to “General Chat”