Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Food Banks??

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Food Banks??

Post by airfixpilot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 pm

There seems to be more Food banks springing up and a new shop selling cheap food was on the news yesterday. Any opions on this subject, before I start. :whistle: ... Were is this country going, its 2013 for goodness sake.
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

jem60

Re: Food Banks??

Post by jem60 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 pm

There have been food banks in other European countries for many years, I believe. I just hope that everyone who goes there is attending justifiably, because of their circumstances in other words, or are some people pretending that they have need of it, and are simply working the system so that other people pay their food bills!

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Cheap/free food for people who need/want it, no problem there! Up to the 1930s it would have been the Workhouse so I think 2013 is offering a better option.

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 pm

There is a supermarket opened up at Goldthorpe near Barnsley that's selling nearly out of date food or where the packaging is
printed wrong and so on..otherwise all this food would end up in a landfill site..shoppers have to be on benefits and show proof..this news story was on local television news..credits to them.Regards Tim.

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Airfixpilot, as I am sure you know how difficult it is for eager to work people to actually claim benefits in this country I am surprised you've posted this.

My mother in law works full time in Oxford (where the whole family is based) and can barely make ends meet in her subsidised council house. No car to pay for & a full time wage of just £900 per month the council make her pay full £600 for her 2 bed council home. Doesn't exactly leave a lot for things like Council Tax, Electricity/Water bills (the list goes on).

As long as said food banks are there to help the correct people, I truly cannot see your problem? Or is it just because there isn't one in your area??!

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Ok, I have tested the water. I have no problem with food banks at all. The reason I put the question out, is I may need to go to one next week, for the first time,in My life. The reason is that since I lost my job two years ago, food and utility bills have been on the rise. I have two children and a wife to support, and only get benefits. When I was working I paid my NI & Tax and was on mostly minimum wage, so got used to low wages, which was topped up by working tax credits ect, but we struggled through.

Although looking for work, like many others, I am caught in the trap of employers putting qualifications & credentials in the way, (see my post on unemployed) like CRB checks, safety passports, & Tachograph cards for driving, on their vacancies.
Last edited by airfixpilot on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

David

Davem245

Post by Davem245 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 pm

If you are looking for a job, try http://www.grafton-careers.co.uk/plumbase/, I was amazed how many jobs they are trying to fill nationwide, there might be something in your area.

DAVEM

das

Post by das » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 pm

No probs with food banks,but i do have a problem with this country treating its citizens in a manner that would represent third world standards.when youve got people going cold and having to rely on food handouts tells you something is seriously wrong with the way things are going.

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:34 am

I hear you there Daz!

What hurts me most of all is that people would rather give their money to animal charities and other world problems like The Philippines before they consider helping those back home who are struggling to make ends meet.
To coin a phrase "Charity begins at home"
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

11sqn

Post by 11sqn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 am

Sorry boys but its about prioritys, airfix if you can afford to pay your internet bill and moan on here about having little money then you can afford to buy food and not go to a food bank. beefsteak you do have a point though.
M
Canon 30D, 40D 70-300IS 17-85 IS.

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:24 am

beefsteak wrote:I hear you there Daz!

What hurts me most of all is that people would rather give their money to animal charities and other world problems like The Philippines before they consider helping those back home who are struggling to make ends meet.
Animal charities, the Philipines or the Vulcan? :whistle:

Adrian01

Post by Adrian01 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 am

11 Sqn, you do have a point, however being in a similar situation (Workwise) as Airfix pilot I would say that internet access was an essential in trying to gain employment.

Yes you can got to the Jobcentre or your local library and use the internet facilities there, but what if you are located in a rural area ? also agencies have a funny habit of telephoning and looking for replies to job specifications or indeed going through job specifications at some obscure times !!, also what about last minute changes to interviews times / locations, which has happened to me on several occasions....

However having said all that, I would not put this before basic essentials such as food, heating etc....

Airfix - what about a pay as you go dongle,for your internet access, which I find helps with the budgeting ?

All the very best

Adrian

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Re 11 sqn, I/we need the internet for Universal jobmatch, which is a stipulation for jobseekers allowance. I use the lowest priced internet provider, if I did not have this, I would have to travel to my local library (6 miles away) for their computer, and only have a half hour Free session, then 50p per half hour afterwards. This has to be booked in advanced. Also my son need one for his homework, and my PC is second hand tower running windows XP. Love a new one though.

Ps I have budget for this internet, which is a LOW priority

David

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I give to an animal charity beefsteak, whats wrong with that? charity does begin at home but there are jobs out there if people lowered there expectations, if I was unemployed I would take any job going to pay the mortgage but people think they are better than some jobs advertised! If you have been layed off from your 45k a year bank job you aint gonna find another one in a hurry but I bet Mr 45k bank man wouldnt lower himself to sweep the streets for example. you make your own luck in life.
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Skip, being a near £45k man myself - if I were made redundant and couldn't afford to put food on the table I would take ANY job to help my family and I think most self respecting person would also.

And I know not always easily done, but there could be good jobs more than 10-15 miles away from where you might live.

Food for thought ..... (like what I did there???)

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:49 pm

I agree Paulo, any job to keep a roof over your head and bread on the table, dunno if I agree with your joke though :P
Flickr

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Maybe my first post wasn't worded correctly, what I mean is some people will not lower themselves to meanial jobs thats not a dig at people who earn 45k a week (the lucky sods)
Flickr

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:52 pm

45k a year I mean, not week! that's crazy money
Flickr

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Skip wrote:45k a year I mean, not week! that's crazy money
Skip, instead of adding endless posts to your original post, why not try the "edit" button? :whistle:
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I like to wind you up Mike, it works a treat too!
Flickr

Return to “General Chat”