Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Garden Birds

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Dunk
AeroResource Correspondent

Garden Birds

Post by Dunk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I have been trying to entice birds into my garden for the last 3 months so I can photograph them, using various feeds, breadcrumbs, suet balls etc with little or no success - until today!

Just happened to see a Robin fly towards my metal RSPB feeder, which is half filled with meal worms and half with peanuts, but veered off just a foot away. Seemed odd until another bird did the same.

Then it dawned on me - my parents bought us a feeder with plastic see through panels on - and it was the reflection that was putting them off! Dont know why I didnt realise it earlier.

Ive taken it down, and low and behold today weve had a Wren, Robin, Blue Tit and what looked like a Willow Tit in quick succession.

So hopefully will be snapping them very very soon.

Any other birdy photographers out there - and any tips to get even more birds in my garden?!

Dunk

Figure8

Re: Garden Birds

Post by Figure8 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm

I have plenty here, my advice is to use a wide range of feeds, suet treats, mealworms, peanuts, fat balls, sunflower is also a favourite. Get a few different types of feeders, and also put some general seed on the floor for the ground feeders.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

Good luck.
Regards

Art (The Lie in King)

Canon 1100D
Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1-4-5-6 IS STM

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I get a variety of birds in my garden & they take mixed seeds & food scraps from the feeders & on the ground. One thing that has been popular is leftover Christmas Pudding!

Frequent visitors in my garden are Blue Tit, Dunnock, Sparrow, Robin, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Goldfinch, Starling, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Jackdaw & for the first time today after several years of its absence I saw a Thrush on the lawn, although it was soon chased off by the Blackbirds :( . It was a real treat as I believe the Thrushes are now on the at risk list of birds.
One other occasional visitor is the local Sparrowhawk, last time he paid a visit he helped himself to a Woodpigeon from nextdoor's garden!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

mr stihl

Post by mr stihl » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Get some Niger seed out as Goldfinches love it, and apples which are a bit past it put them on the ground for the blackbirds and thrushes.

Also as Figure 8 says a variety of food gets different birds in. I put my food out in 6 or 7 places so they have the whole garden. Since the snow the birds in the garden have increased 4 fold to perhaps 50-60 at a time.

Have fun!

Woodhall Paul

Post by Woodhall Paul » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 am

I find the most success with Sunflower Seeds, sadly they are now very expensive!! We also put out Baked Potatoes, cut in halves, grapes, raisins for an instant sugar hit are liked by the Blackbirds.

Last of all don't forget some water especially whilst there is snow on the ground and a lot of garden ponds and bird baths are iced over.

In regards to getting good photographs of birds, a lot of people frown on having feeders in the pictures, try and set up a stop off for them, near to the feeders, which they will often land on for a couple of seconds before then hopping on to the feeder. If you get a suitable branch from your local wood, either dig a hole in your garden and drop it in or put the end in a bucket and fill with ballast to keep it in place, that way you can move it around till you find the best place with a good background for your photo's, then drill some holes in the branch and put peanuts in them.
It may take a few days for the birds to get used to this new addition and to find the peanuts but they will, it helps to keep the birds still for a few seconds if the peanuts are a tight fit in the holes so they have to peck them out rather than taking the whole nut and flying off.

I would be interested to know how you get on.

Regards Paul

Tailplane

Post by Tailplane » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Apart from the peanuts and fatballs, we use old apples, the Blackbirds favourite and porridge (uncooked), which at the moment are attracting a lot of Robins.
Last edited by Tailplane on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZD844

Garden Birds

Post by ZD844 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi,
I buy my white sunflower & peanuts from Wilkinsons, and big bags of wild bird feed & buckets of fat balls from Costco's.

Mike

flat cap

Post by flat cap » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Just a couple of heads up. If you have dogs, raisins are harmful to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_ ... ty_in_dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if any of the fatballs have green netting on them remove it as birds are catching their legs in the netting with very nasty results.

Good luck!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flatcap707/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dunk
AeroResource Correspondent

Post by Dunk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for feedback guys.

Not had one visitor to the fat balls at all - netting has been discarded.

Got some half coconuts with suet in - and not one bird has made an attempt to go at them either. My Mother has the very same ones, and she has 20 birds at a time fighting over them lol.

Peanuts seam to be the winner with the Robin and manboobs!, and the blackbird is quite liking the meal worm on the floor. Peter the pervy pigeon has stopped looking through our window in favour of the mealworms too!

Will invest in some sunflower seeds, and see what results I get.

Dunk

robbo

Post by robbo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

In this last week, have had robins, blue manboobs!
Great manboobs!, goldfinch,chaffinch, wren
Plus blackbird wood pigeon collard doves
Also pesky heron trying to get my koi
Sunflower seeds, Niger seeds and mealworms
Seem to work best don't touch fat balls or suet
Which seems strange, they must on new year diet
Lol

Return to “General Chat”