Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Plastic Bottle Litter

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Philly1971

Re: Plastic Bottle Litter

Post by Philly1971 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm

If people seem incapable of disposing of their packaging properly then maybe we should add packaging tax to these products with the proceeds going to local authorities to help them hire more street cleaners. I wouldn’t complain if those high energy drinks, which as others have mentioned seem to make up a high percentage of plastic bottle litter, doubled in price. In my experience these drinks seem to be mostly consumed at times and by people who certainly have not just undertaken major excercise, and are extremely bad for the body, so we would be doing them a favour anyway. So let’s add a massive tax onto these products until the imbeciles who drink them learn how to put their used products in a bin.

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:01 am

Philly1971 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm
If people seem incapable of disposing of their packaging properly then maybe we should add packaging tax to these products
No, I don't want further taxed due to the selfish actions of others. It's bad enough already in that department.

What's wrong here, is the same thing that's wrong nearly everywhere else in this country with law and order, is a lack of appropriate punishment which would also act as a deterrent. Granted my earlier AK47 quip is a bit too far :P but look at Singapore - if you knew there was a good chance of being whipped then you simply wouldn't drop your litter in the street. Likewise if you knew it was a guaranteed lengthy prison sentence you wouldn't drive without insurance, and so on. Our "leaders" need to grow some balls.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 am

Agree with your comments re Singapore. Very impressive city, but a bit too 'clinical' for me. Problem with litterers is that you don't see them doing it, so how do you catch them. Identification is not that easy. I gather you can now chew gum in Singapore, but be very careful how you dispose of it.!

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 am

raptor9 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 am
Agree with your comments re Singapore. Very impressive city, but a bit too 'clinical' for me. Problem with litterers is that you don't see them doing it, so how do you catch them. Identification is not that easy. I gather you can now chew gum in Singapore, but be very careful how you dispose of it.!
Well, police, wardens and CCTV can see them, but it's more about the deterrent than actually punishing them, and a good deterrent clearly does work because you don't want to take the risk.

Your gum remark reminds me of another problem I see locally. People who stand at a bus stop and stub out a cigarette on the ground, despite standing literally 6-feet from a bin with a cigarette stubber on top of it. They don't use it because there's no deterrent against littering the street with the stubs, they've never been punished for it, and consequently now don't care less.

And the problem is being "taught" to this young generation. Near Prestwick Airport there is a high school with a playing field surrounded by a high fence, with clearly posted signs on the fence telling the kids not to climb the fence when the playing field is closed. But it would appear the signs are only there to legally cover the school if a kid were to fall and break his neck, because every evening after the school closes kids (very probably from that school) climb the high fence to gain access. The headmaster, if he wanted to, could easily identify and punish these kids, which would stop others doing it. Fence climbing may seem like a small issue, but the point is that the headmaster in my view is guilty of teaching this generation that it's okay to ignore the rules and do what you want. And you know where that ends up...

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:33 pm

I am happy for a massive tax to be put on these products because I don’t drink them😀😀😂

Return to “General Chat”