Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
bizfreeq

Re: Formula 1.

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:11 pm

seven wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:02 am
James Cutting wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:08 am
But what I don't understand is why aren't teams being penalised for team errors?

i.e. Raikkonen in the pits into Mazepin - Team error, but Kimi takes a penalty? Seb issue - Team not putting in enough fuel or keeping on top of his fuel levels and letting him know?

Fines, docked Constructor points...shouldn't be the drivers that suffer
Agreed here too. Its very unfair on the drivers to be docked for team errors. Something I believe needs looking at.
Surely the driver IS part of the team? So any punishments dished out to any part of that team are actually felt by all in some way. Seems fair to me. It isn't now, nor has it ever been a case of I'm the driver and they are a separate entity.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

seven

Post by seven » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 pm

As much as the driver is indeed part of the team, there are times when the driver is being penalised for something they have absolutely no control over, as mentioned above with Raikkonen. A team fine in that case would be much more appropriate than a race penalty. Similar with Hamilton in Russia last year, whilst I do agree a driver penalty was appropriate there, how were the team penalised for their part in that eff up!!?

With Vettel, my opinion is that the penalty was correct, as much as I didnt want too see it. It could be argued that the car was fuelled for a steady drive for the low top ten, not a near-flat out push to fight for the win, thus explaining the lack of available fuel. If what they day is true, that there was 1.4Lt left that couldn't be extracted, then they built a sh(ampoo)it car.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:37 pm

The Stewards have upheld Aston Martin's disqualification. The fuel was NOT in the car, so all the points lost from Hungary, unfortunately. Moving on...

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:58 pm

I think the fuel quota is a daft rule as it cancels itself out - more fuel means you can keep your foot in and go faster for longer, probably what the audience want but the extra fuel is extra mass to be carried. A lighter fuel load means you risk running out of petrol at the high race pace of the former but the advantage is that you are carrying less mass. Why not let the teams decide as part of strategy. The drivers all have a different mass so on the basis of the rules the car should carry a handicap such as is seen in some horse racing.

P.S I assume they are testing for additives but you can do that with a test tube amount?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 pm

The rules are that the cars must weigh at least 600kg at all times (including the driver) and that FIA can extract 1L from the car at the end of the race. One third goes for analysis, another third is held for a second sample, and the third third is given to the team so they can analyse it.

1L of fuel weighs less than 1Kg, so whilst there is a weight penalty for carrying that extra fuel, it's not that significant in the overall scheme of things, and just means the rest of the car (and driver) needs to weigh 599Kg instead of 600Kg. And it's the same for all the teams, so there isn't really a bias. The drivers don't like it because it means on fuel sensitive circuits they often have to lift and coast into corners in order to conserve fuel. Given the wet start and subsequent mayhem, plus the additional formation lap I'm quite surprised any of the teams were short on fuel.

There was a time (in the Mansell era IIRC) when lighter drivers meant the teams had to put ballast in the car. The advantage of the ballast was you could move it around the car at different tracks to make it more front or rear heavy.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:34 am

Very sad news for Spa this week-end. Nathalie Maillet, CEO of the circuit since 2016, and her female lover have been shot dead by her husband after he found them in bed together. He then shot himself. :(

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:33 am

C'est la vie.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:05 am

Japan has also been called off, and the planned double header at COTA isn't looking good.

B-2 Fan

Post by B-2 Fan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:13 pm

I should think Australia will be cancelled as well, seeing as the Avalon show has been called off and that was a week later...

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 pm

PLMC. Oui, et beaucoup de tristesse pour les familles.!.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm

Australia was canned earlier in the season. Supposed to be replaced by Turkey (attempt 2), but thats looking dodgy due to UK quarantine issues too :roll:

roger4

Post by roger4 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 pm
The rules are that the cars must weigh at least 600kg at all times (including the driver) and that FIA can extract 1L from the car at the end of the race. One third goes for analysis, another third is held for a second sample, and the third third is given to the team so they can analyse it.

1L of fuel weighs less than 1Kg, so whilst there is a weight penalty for carrying that extra fuel, it's not that significant in the overall scheme of things, and just means the rest of the car (and driver) needs to weigh 599Kg instead of 600Kg. And it's the same for all the teams, so there isn't really a bias. The drivers don't like it because it means on fuel sensitive circuits they often have to lift and coast into corners in order to conserve fuel. Given the wet start and subsequent mayhem, plus the additional formation lap I'm quite surprised any of the teams were short on fuel.

There was a time (in the Mansell era IIRC) when lighter drivers meant the teams had to put ballast in the car. The advantage of the ballast was you could move it around the car at different tracks to make it more front or rear heavy.
The extra weight of the 1L of fuel equates to around 0.035secs/lap, depending on the circuit, times say 70 laps equals around 2.5 seconds on race distance. This is more than the gap Vettel to Hamilton at the Hungarian GP. Every driver would like to have this advantage, but as you say its the same for all teams so there is no bias.

The reason for needing to remove 1L of fuel from the car after the race is so that the FIA can test every driver's fuel to ensure the teams have not added anything to the supplied fuel to enhance performance.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Roger. As page 16, it's 3 samples. One for the F.I.A. 1 for an independent check, and 1 to be retained by the team. Third of a litre each.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:31 pm

seven wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm
Australia was canned earlier in the season. Supposed to be replaced by Turkey (attempt 2), but thats looking dodgy due to UK quarantine issues too :roll:

I think they tried to re-insert Australia into the calendar Nov or Dec. Can't see it happening, nor can I see them being able to host the 2022 opener either.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:20 pm

They did yes, but it was cancelled again around the time we 'came out of lockdown' mid July. And yes, thats a good point re. 2022 aswell. Let's hope there's either an available alternative for the same date, or its pencilled in for later in the season.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:15 am

One of the great things about last year was no summer break due to the delay, this is killing me, one week to go !
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 am

Le Mans 24H is on this weekend if you don't mind racing cars with head lights

Usually a few ex F1 drivers involved

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:19 am

Went once in the Ford versus Ferrari days. Hard work. glad I went, wouldn't do it again. Won by Jacky Ickx, don't remember his co-driver.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:00 am

I used to work for a car company full of petrol heads and I was persuaded to go camping with them to the 2005 event I think.

Great party atmosphere at the camp site although my crappy old Mondeo looked a bit ordinary among all the Nissan Skylines etc.

The winner of the main race set a record for the number of wins he was like the Schumacher of endurance

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am

Danish driver Tom Christensen. 9 wins. Looking forward to this week-end. Half dry, half wet with a bit of luck. Sorts out the skill levels, doesn't it!.

Return to “General Chat”