Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
seven

Re: Formula 1.

Post by seven » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 pm

tommc wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:43 pm
If HAM had pitted first on the 2nd formation lap then he would have been stuck behind all the other pitting cars because the Merc pit box is first.
Whilst I did think something along these lines, I didn't bother to work out where the Mercedes pit box was, so didn't think anymore about it. Does beg the question though, what would have been the procedure if everyone had pitted!?
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Are Mercedes trying to bankrupt Red Bull by constantly taking out their cars? Bottas was a disgrace, and Mercedes should be docked constructors championship points.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:05 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:29 pm
Vettel called to the Stewards because he was wearing a rainbow "Same love" t-shirt during the national anthem.

We race as one - The absolute irony.
I'd imagine he deliberately wore said shirt during the national anthem as a protest, which I'm pretty sure is against the rules.

Also, Hamilton has been reported as saying he may be suffering from long covid effects, (which I have been saying since Abu Dhabi), and looking back, he really didn't look well on the podium.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Rugbyref wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:02 pm
Are Mercedes trying to bankrupt Red Bull by constantly taking out their cars? Bottas was a disgrace, and Mercedes should be docked constructors championship points.
And red bull should be docked constructors points by pitting Perez to take the fastest lap at Silverstone, and Gasly today. :roll:

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Vettel is in hot water for not providing an adequate fuel sample post-race also..

One would hope common sense prevails on that one.

d555

Post by d555 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm

The best GP I've seen for a long time. Well done to Ocon on his maiden win, hope he buys Alonso a few beers for keeping Hamilton behind him for so many laps and thus denying the Merc man a chance for another win.
Irony for George Russell, he finally gets into the points for Williams only to still be trailing his teammate in the championship.
You can keep your qualifying races, let's just have reverse grids, seemed to work a treat today.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:23 pm

Or take off boring tracks, looking at you Albert Park, Monaco, Austria, Hungary, Abu Dhabi...

Edit, and Vettel has been disqualified. Regulations are ruining most soprts these days, I guess F1 should be no different :roll:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Only just got in and watched C.4 highlights. Very surprised Marko hasn't yet accused Mercedes of playing snooker! snooker. Black ball bounces of the orange ball, which cannons into the black and red ball etc.,.,. Entertaining to watch. Can't say this year is boring!!!.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm

Appreciate Vettel didn't follow the rules, (or team fault?!) But pure disqualification, whereas Bottas takes out what, Norris, Verstappen (yes he continued), Perez...only a 5 place drop?!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Bottas's car complied with the regulations and was legal. Vettel's did not. Simples!. :)

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 pm

I didn't know wiping out the front runners was compliant with the rules ;)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Appreciate Vettel didn't follow the rules, (or team fault?!) But pure disqualification, whereas Bottas takes out what, Norris, Verstappen (yes he continued), Perez...only a 5 place drop?!
Apparently only 300ml of fuel left instead of the litre required, disqualification is a ridiculous penalty, real shame for Vettel and his team..
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 am

Not complying with the technical regulations has always been regarded as a disqualification offence, with NO leeway. I remember a Spanish Grand Prix, many years ago, won by James Hunt, where he was chucked out because his car was a quarter of an inch too wide after the race!!. [or some miniscule measurement ]. These rules have to be observed. Rules are rules. Driving standards come under a totally different package of regulations. Bottas didn't comply with those rules and consequently gets a grid drop for the next race. Technical offences are rare these days. Driving offences very common. If one disqualified drivers for contact, the number of cars could be very competing could be very sparse at times!!.

tommc

Post by tommc » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 am

seven wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 pm
tommc wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:43 pm
If HAM had pitted first on the 2nd formation lap then he would have been stuck behind all the other pitting cars because the Merc pit box is first.
Does beg the question though, what would have been the procedure if everyone had pitted!?
Yes, I wondered that too. Nobody on the grid when the lights go out, but cars cannot leave the pit lane until the last car has passed the pit exit line! This scenario may never even have been considered.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 am

I see Horner is whining again, shut up man. The initial bump where Bottas hit Norris wasn't that big an incident, it was the aftermath that caused the problems, not the only one to lock up on a wet track. Regardless he's got a 5 place penalty for the next race. I'm not a Vettel fan at all but nice to see him back at the front, he's never been able to race so he'll always struggle in a midfield car to make up places, pleased for him and the penalty has been provisionally suspended. Despite his efforts on Sunday I think Bottas will swap with Russell next year. Despite his performances Hamilton is nearing the end of his career, be good to have Russell at the team for the new car regs and getting used to work with them ahead of Lewis' departure. Unlike Bottas, who let's be honest is a perfect team mate for Lewis, I think Russell will be on par with him very quickly and possibly speed up Hamiltons departure from the sport. Delighted for Williams btw.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:08 am

But what I don't understand is why aren't teams being penalised for team errors?

i.e. Raikkonen in the pits into Mazepin - Team error, but Kimi takes a penalty? Seb issue - Team not putting in enough fuel or keeping on top of his fuel levels and letting him know?

Fines, docked Constructor points...shouldn't be the drivers that suffer
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am

2e1var wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 am
I see Horner is whining again, shut up man. The initial bump where Bottas hit Norris wasn't that big an incident, it was the aftermath that caused the problems, not the only one to lock up on a wet track. Regardless he's got a 5 place penalty for the next race. I'm not a Vettel fan at all but nice to see him back at the front, he's never been able to race so he'll always struggle in a midfield car to make up places, pleased for him and the penalty has been provisionally suspended. Despite his efforts on Sunday I think Bottas will swap with Russell next year. Despite his performances Hamilton is nearing the end of his career, be good to have Russell at the team for the new car regs and getting used to work with them ahead of Lewis' departure. Unlike Bottas, who let's be honest is a perfect team mate for Lewis, I think Russell will be on par with him very quickly and possibly speed up Hamiltons departure from the sport. Delighted for Williams btw.
Not that big an incident?!?!
Bottas was incompetent at best, and caused Red Bull huge damage, both in racing terms and financially. Would you have had the same opinion if Mr BLM had been taken out by Perez?

seven

Post by seven » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am

2e1var wrote:
Agree totally. Not sure on Bottas to Williams though, would they even want him!?

And yes, I don't feel Williams have received enough credit for their results. Massive for the team. As can be seen by the drivers post race reactions. Speaking of which, I feel the stewards were too lenient with Russell at the restart, that should have been a penalty of some kind.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:02 am

James Cutting wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:08 am
But what I don't understand is why aren't teams being penalised for team errors?

i.e. Raikkonen in the pits into Mazepin - Team error, but Kimi takes a penalty? Seb issue - Team not putting in enough fuel or keeping on top of his fuel levels and letting him know?

Fines, docked Constructor points...shouldn't be the drivers that suffer
Agreed here too. Its very unfair on the drivers to be docked for team errors. Something I believe needs looking at.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am

Rugbyref wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am
2e1var wrote:
Not that big an incident?!?!
Bottas was incompetent at best, and caused Red Bull huge damage, both in racing terms and financially. Would you have had the same opinion if Mr BLM had been taken out by Perez?
It wasn't that big an incident, it just had major ramifications. Thats the way F1 always has been.

And I would keep your BLM comments off of public forums if I were you, thats a very tight rope to be walking.

Return to “General Chat”