Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
iainpeden

Re: Formula 1.

Post by iainpeden » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 am

I'm not an avid F1 fan - but I think the sprint qualifying has potential. Do all the fast practising and first qualifying then put the top 10 names in a hat (or a very expensive computer system) and draw starting positions from there; repeat for 11-20. To make it more interesting then toss a coin to decide if 1-10 start at the front or 11-20.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:19 am

On the current format it just doesn't work, all its doing is giving the drivers with the fastest raceday cars an opportunity to get to the front, thus minimising overtaking, which of course it is trying to spice up! We'll see how the British GP actually goes. But unless sprint qualifying leads to a reverse grid format or something along those lines its just not going to work as a qualifying session.
I'm happy for it to stay personally, as an extra race with the same points as this weekends, as the F1 bosses kind of have a point that there's no action on a Friday. But then again its been that way for 18 years or so, so wht change it now..

Got too feel for George Russell, finally gets a top 10 race finish in a Williams, and its a race where no points are given out after the top 3... :lol: :'(
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Do watch the british gp f1. Not there in the flesh this year, thou what a great bit of entertainment by Tom Cruise. What a cool guy.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:44 pm

The other big feel moment, was the start line salute too the Frontline services in this pandemic, cold stream guards playing the national anthem and the reds with red white and blue over head on a perfect summers day.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I sat down to watch the F1 at one of my favourite circuits for the first time in a long time, and i have to say that incident between Verstappen and Hamilton is one of the reasons i wont pay to watch it on Sky! Its not the incident in itself, its all the "he should not have done that" of all the pundit drivers who cannot understand that real racing is what we want to see.

I am hearing Christian Horner say "you cannot make a move there", but in all the years i have watched racing at Silverston, that is exactly where i want racing drivers to be making passes, or its boring just watching 20 cars passing each other in the pits!

Give me all the safety features on the car, give me some of the tech, BUT LET ME SEE DRIVERS TAKING A CHANCE!

Seen as there is now a 10 second time penalty on Hamilton, this is probably the last time i watch F1 for a while!

Morseman

Post by Morseman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Arabjuazzie, agree that's why I am now on the computer, gave up watching. So slow to make a decision and in my opinion wrong.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:36 pm

What a week-end that was!!!. 355,000 people over the week- end. 140,000 today alone!!. Not a single ticket to be had. Hugely enthusiastic and patriotic fans, not a Policeman to be seen, no crowd trouble whatsoever as far as I know. What a contrast to a recent event!!. Great race, shame about the first lap racing incident, which, IMHO is what it was. Both drivers to blame. because they were RACING??????? Copse was my favourite corner since watching Stirling Moss there many years ago. If you choose to go round the outside of someone you know is as hard a driver as you are, then......watch out!. You could always back out of it. Hope Max is O.k. Great Drive by SLH. You cannot make a move there is on the top of the list of all Team Managers excuses of course!.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:46 pm

I know it's a world away, but that is the place where touring cars like to over take, and often run in to each other.

Lewis wasn't able to turn as tight as he hoped due to weight, and max did cut across him IMO.

Championship is alive again.

Would have liked to have seen Norris on the podium again, but his time will come.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:55 pm

The big question, will johnny weatley and horny horner still be crying come Hungary? I feel they'll try to take this to court.

Good race in the end, though some may not like the result. I feel its better for the sport, for sure the championship.

In my view, the penalty was unfair, but I take it if it goes the other way round later in the season Verstappen will be treated the same way? (I don't think so...) I notice the PER/RAI incident was not even investigated.

Did anyone notice how pig ugly the 2022 concept was :lol:

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm

Helmut Marko is an idiot. Calling for a one race suspension for that??? A dinosaur who has little right to be advising. He is light years past his sell by date and should be put out to grass. Wasn't a bad driver in his day tho' [BRM} and had his career cut short after loosing an eye from a kicked up stone. When I see him, and Alain Prost, and even the late, great Niki Lauda in the respective pits, I always was thinking ' what do they know about driving modern F.1 Cars'. :S

TealRain

Post by TealRain » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:36 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:50 pm
I sat down to watch the F1 at one of my favourite circuits for the first time in a long time, and i have to say that incident between Verstappen and Hamilton is one of the reasons i wont pay to watch it on Sky! Its not the incident in itself, its all the "he should not have done that" of all the pundit drivers who cannot understand that real racing is what we want to see.

I am hearing Christian Horner say "you cannot make a move there", but in all the years i have watched racing at Silverston, that is exactly where i want racing drivers to be making passes, or its boring just watching 20 cars passing each other in the pits!

Give me all the safety features on the car, give me some of the tech, BUT LET ME SEE DRIVERS TAKING A CHANCE!

Seen as there is now a 10 second time penalty on Hamilton, this is probably the last time i watch F1 for a while!
I think we're all glad that Max is by the sounds of it OK, anyone who has a concussion will know what that feels like!

Totally agree on the pundits. I did watch the race on Sky this weekend - but switched to C4 toward the end. Alex Jakes is a much more measured and less hysterical commentator than David Croft, and as for pundits - I've yet to hear anything useful come out of Jenson Buttons mouth since he hung up his F1 boots. On the subject of the incident, I think Karun Chandocks post race analysis was good and did show that Max after making the steering movement for Copse did make another more "aggressive" movement or jink toward Lewis when he (Max) realised that 44 was still there and this time Lewis did not give way -he could just have easily have been in the kitty litter as well but was fortunate not to. I'm sure there have been overtakes at Copse before in F1 as well, I remember Lewis trying it there in 2008 was it? on Heikki Kovalainen - it didn't work but they both survived to continue.

So six and two threes I think, i.e that's racing but then again I'm not an expert - or a pundit! Cheers folks.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:52 pm

I agree totally with Karun's assesment. I wonder if Christian Horner spotted that little tweek to the right by Max, which, as far as I am concerned, caused the accident. For Christian to say that at no time was Lewis alongside was laughable. In the video from Max's car, Lewis's front wheel is alongside his cockpit. Max eases to the left, AND THEN turns towards Lewis, knowing he is there!!.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:17 pm

More likely ignored it. Probably still crying about it now. First phone call in the morning will be to the lawyers no doubt.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Max was ahead. He was on the racing line. He left him space. Lewis hits his rear. It was Max's corner all day long. He simply should have eased off. Really not that hard to see that.

Like he once said in Baku (before brilliantly sending it straight on at T1) "It's a marathon, not a sprint) so why not wait till the hangar straight??

It's not the first time he has caused similar accidents (Albon Brazil, and Austria). Got to see him actually being challenged for once and seemingly struggling at times.

The worst thing was the crowd around Club and Vale celebratimg and cheering the accident. (I was there). So poor.
Last edited by James Cutting on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:34 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:52 pm
I agree totally with Karun's assesment. I wonder if Christian Horner spotted that little tweek to the right by Max, which, as far as I am concerned, caused the accident. For Christian to say that at no time was Lewis alongside was laughable. In the video from Max's car, Lewis's front wheel is alongside his cockpit. Max eases to the left, AND THEN turns towards Lewis, knowing he is there!!.
What's he going to do, go straight on?? Really! He has to turn in, it's his racing line therefore his corner.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:52 pm
Spot on raptor9, couldn't believe the comments from DC & MW.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Max was ahead. He was on the racing line. He left him space. Lewis hits his rear. It was Max's corner all day long. He simply should have eased off. Really not that hard to see that.

Like he once said in Baku (before brilliantly sending it straight on at T1) "It's a marathon, not a sprint) so why not wait till the hangar straight??

It's not the first time he has caused similar accidents (Albon Brazil, and Austria). Got to see him actually being challenged for once and seemingly struggling at times.

The worst thing was the crowd around Club and Vale celebratimg and cheering the accident. (I was there). So poor. And so poor from Hamilton to never once ask about Max.
I think you've got it spot on James, Lewis should have waited until Hangar straight, he would have got Max eventually, British 'fans' letting the side down again, terrible.. :grr:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:43 am

Recent races have shown the Merc can't follow, needed to get the job done early, let's be honest Max is one of the most aggressive drivers out there today. I saw it as a racing incident, also being first lap they usually allow them to race. Max went off in T1 and was then ragged for the entire lap, not surprising Lewis was all over him, squeezed him against the wall, thought Lewis had backed out then turned in on him, clear from the onboard. My biggest concern is the stewards this year not allowing racing, at Austria Norris got given a stupid penalty for a 1st lap incident with Perez then to be consistent Perez got given two later on. They are killing the racing after good work in recent years.
Glad Max is okay but the crap coming out of the mouths of Horner, Marko and now even Max is ridiculous. Just aw an article where Marko says Lewis ruined Albons career ! No Helmut, that would have been you.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:22 am

Max could very easily have run wider and avoided the accident. Easing away from Lewis's admittedly aggressive [it's called RACING!] move into the substantial run-off would have saved his race. 50 50. Racing incident Takes two to Tango!.. Also, let's not forget that Max has a pretty good history of hitting other people in his comparatively short career!!.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:24 am

So does Hamilton though??
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Return to “General Chat”