Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
seven

Re: Formula 1.

Post by seven » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:51 am

Hopefully mixed or wet conditions yes. Unfortunately Spa is usually done by the end of the back straight, we'll see if this year is any different.
Thursdays driver conferences might be interesting...
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Best to qualify second here, and then slipstream past after Eau Rouge. We shall soon see!. :)

seven

Post by seven » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Exactly. Though Hamilton has managed that disadvantage pretty well the last few years, apart from 2018 was it? That Vettel finally managed to get past, then the exact following second the safety car comes out...

seven

Post by seven » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Eventful few sessions. Shame about the end result, but a few cars in odd places could give an interesting race tomorrow!

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:51 am

Great result for George, rain really evens things up, hoping for rain again today or I can only see him dropping back through the field.
Anyone catch the Formula W incident in qualy ?
We lost Antoine Hubert a few years back, Aitkin and Rigon had a big one last month, and of course Norris was pretty lucky yesterday. Formula W saw a horrible looking 6 car crash on Saturday which initially didn't look too bad until the 5th and 6th cars appeared to just have nowhere to go and piled into the initial incidents. Regardless two drivers ended up in hospital, nothing serious fortunately. I wonder if they will do something to slow cars down there in future ? I usually have the same mind set as Brundle, 'best rivers in the world' and 'you don't have to go flat out' but I think it's only a matter of time before we lose one of the best sections of the track on the the calendar.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:52 am

Oh and I'm predicting a first corner incident today amongst the front runners unless it's heavy rain and we get an SC start.

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:32 am

I'd agree with Brundle on that one. Motor racing is dangerous, no one forces anyone to be there and you are free to leave at anytime. I'd go as far as saying F1 only using that track, but thats not really sustainable for the future..
One big safety feature was available at the time of Lando's incident, but wasn't used, the red flag. And that IMO is itself worthy of investigation.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:22 am

Agree with the last two posts, and with Martin Brundle. Eau Rouge has ALWAYS been a problem, and as ievar says, the W. series accident was particularly horrendous, and the girls were extremely lucky to escape relatively unscathed. It certainly showed the strength of modern racing car design. The problem is not Eau Rouge itself, but the danger of cars bouncing off barriers into the path of following cars. This can happen [and does] on any circuit. But, if one sanitizes the circuits too much, then racing will lose it's attraction for drivers and spectators alike. Years ago, I introduced a friend to F.1. He loved it, because he was watching somebody [Ronnie Petersen particularly] doing something he himself would find impossible to do. Drivers know some corners can have bigger consequences if things go wrong, that is part of it's attraction. Poor Hubert wasn't killed because of Eau Rouge, but because he was stranded in the middle of the track. Could have been anywhere!. Looking forward to this afternoon!.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:32 am

Unlike Evar, I am NOT expecting a first corner incident. I think the start and the first lap will be very cautious, particularly until Les Combes. I think lessons have been learnt from Hungary. You can't win the race on the first lap, but you sure as hell can lose it.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:20 pm

I can see no rain, a dry line appearing, and Hamilton (assuming he gets off the line well) spending too long getting past Russell, only to find verstappen has pulled out a 10 minute lead.
Then as the cars pull in post race, the heavens open.

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm

Just saw a most amusing meme,

F1 fans every race-Please rain..

F1 fans this race-Please stop raining

:lol: :lol:

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Well that was worthwhile.. Although the Austrian races were more boring :lol:

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:21 pm

I held on, not looking at the web etc so I could watch the recorded high lights which I have just watched. I can't see the point in awarding any points - just call it a wash out.

George Russell looked a bit lost on the podium. I know he is a Brit and indeed a Norfolk boy but he is not my favourite driver, I think the channel 4 team big him up too much but I suppose he is getting a lot out of the Williams.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:06 pm

I would rather have it as a washout also, but points awarded mean money to the teams, so, complying with the rules, a 'race' was held!. I can see the point, but it leaves a bit of a nasty taste...... Ah well, Zandvoort next Sunday. Shan't be watching... it's my Golden Wedding Anniversary!!!!. 50 years with my lovely Teresa. Recorders are useful. From experience, Zandvoort can be cold and wet too. :)

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:53 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:21 pm
I held on, not looking at the web etc so I could watch the recorded high lights which I have just watched. I can't see the point in awarding any points - just call it a wash out.

George Russell looked a bit lost on the podium. I know he is a Brit and indeed a Norfolk boy but he is not my favourite driver, I think the channel 4 team big him up too much but I suppose he is getting a lot out of the Williams.
I assume you mean the Christmas 'highlights'? But yea, what a joke the whole thing was. F1/FIA can say what they like, but Hamilton is right with his post race comments. The only reason the 2 laps extra were run was so it can be declared a race. $$$. No one deserved any points for that.

Cant say I agree with you with Russell. I'm struggling to warm to him, but I can see talent there. And give him a year or two in the Mercedes, and I'd say he'd be the better bet against verstappen. ( Assuming of course the order stays the way it is)

seven

Post by seven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:57 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:06 pm
I would rather have it as a washout also, but points awarded mean money to the teams, so, complying with the rules, a 'race' was held!. I can see the point, but it leaves a bit of a nasty taste...... Ah well, Zandvoort next Sunday. Shan't be watching... it's my Golden Wedding Anniversary!!!!. 50 years with my lovely Teresa. Recorders are useful. From experience, Zandvoort can be cold and wet too. :)
Agree with that. I feel a little cheated, and I wasn't even there! The excitement that was built up for the restart only for it to be conveniently red flagged after the required 2 laps...
And as for the rules debates through the first red flag period...

And a premature congratulations :thumb:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:22 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:06 pm
... it's my Golden Wedding Anniversary!!!!. 50 years with my lovely Teresa.
Then a very happy anniversary and many congratulations to you both. Only managed 27 so far next month so still a way to go :D

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:47 am

Many thanks guys. Hope I have many more, so that I can continue to annoy the hell out of her for much longer......something I excel at. Have a good week-end next week. :)

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:35 am

Well that was fun ! To be fair I hoped for rain so George would have a chance of a decent points haul, guess I got what I wished for :) I don't remember a scenario like that in 30 odd years of watching, I guess the stewards did what they thought was best, I doubt they could have run on the Monday or come back later in the season, got to feel for the fans at the circuit though. We had some non F1 fans over for the weekend, they really enjoyed qualy and were looking forward to the race, that will put them off for life !

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:52 am

I guess that coming back the next day is out of the question, mainly because all the Marshals and Volunteers have normal week-day jobs, and the event can't be run without them [with our grateful thanks]. Like Evar, I have been a serial watcher, but I seem to remember something along the same lines many years ago. Certainly I remember a large international meeting at Silverstone that was abandoned at 11 am on race day because of continuous heavy rain. [My car got stuck in the mud at Copse]

Return to “General Chat”