Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Re: Formula 1.

Post by Skywatcher » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:46 pm

James is right watched it on the telly and definitely on the first run into copse,and Mark the TV definitely showed it as lap 4 re start,the laps seem to tick by under the red flag not sure if that is a tv fault or something as sure it was all stopped as the race had been red flagged useally lap count stops to ? I thought it was a count back to the Lap of the red flag i.e Lap 1 1/2 as we hadn’t completed a racing lap as yet I thought the laps /clock stoped at a red flag think they do /did practice qualifying
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:46 pm
James is right watched it on the telly and definitely on the first run into copse,and Mark the TV definitely showed it as lap 4 re start,the laps seem to tick by under the red flag not sure if that is a tv fault or something as sure it was all stopped as the race had been red flagged useally lap count stops to ? I thought it was a count back to the Lap of the red flag i.e Lap 1 1/2 as we hadn’t completed a racing lap as yet I thought the laps /clock stoped at a red flag think they do /did practice qualifying
I think the collision happened on Lap1, which brought the safety car out which they followed for Lap 2 and at the end of Lap 2 into the pits. Then Lap 3 was out of the pits on a formation lap to the grid (which counts towards race distance), and the re-start was Lap 4. Penalty announced during Lap 5.

AFAIKR.

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Just watching the start again ,and yes it was indeed initially a s/c procedure which became a red flag once they had been brought round to the new start finish line on the Hamilton strait,red flag was to repair the tyre barrier as was a heck of a impact,lap 2 red Flag lap three the cars where brought into the pits and l4 re start
The most important thing out of all this is Max is OK ,51 G impact I think they said

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:11 pm

To put 'g' into perspective, Swedish driver Kenny Brack survived 214 G at Texas Motor Speedway in 2003.! Highest recorded for a human, I believe. He recovered well from serious other injuries. Hell of a bang!. 4 1/2 in a Vampire T.11 was enough for me, thank you!. Glad Max is O.K.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:20 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:53 am
I think the Silverstone strategists got it wrong - fastest track in the world but but quicker to nip down the pits occasionally for a ' visual inspection' on the move!
Monza may have something to say about that.
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

seven

Post by seven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:23 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm

Let's hope for a cracker in Hungary :thumb:

Rain, please. Otherwise polesitter is pretty much guaranteed the win.

Another point - I am sure they restarted Sunday on Lap 4 after the red flag when they hadn't even done 1 lap? Unless the TV was wrong...

Crash was on lap 1, red flag on lap 3. So restart was lap 4.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:50 pm
You can make a 'pit stop' under the safety car, but I am sure that in the regulations a 'visual non-stop inspection' would not be permitted. Pure stop and go penalties and drive through cannot be performed under the safety car AFAIK.
Spot on. Although obviously the pit lane can be closed to all access, as in Monza last year.

seven

Post by seven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 pm
[quote=Skywatcher post_id=1319795 time=1626882396
I think the collision happened on Lap1, which brought the safety car out which they followed for Lap 2 and at the end of Lap 2 into the pits. Then Lap 3 was out of the pits on a formation lap to the grid (which counts towards race distance), and the re-start was Lap 4. Penalty announced during Lap 5.

AFAIKR.
[/quote]

More or less as I recall it. Can't remember if the outlap counted as a lap or not, but between us I think we have it :lol:

Oh, and guess who's been talking to his lawyers.... :roll:

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:23 pm

I rember watching Kenny Brack racing (I was there in person) at the Rockingham 500 in 2001 Champ Car ,absolutely awesome that race was Hélio Castroneves (edit it was Gil De Ferran who won the race )
Last few laps from Rockingham https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdsbRdGKkQo Brack is now a ambassador/demo driver for McLaren as drove the new McLaren Elva at Goodwood the weekend before Silverstone,speaking of which great result for Lando ,he’s been driving superbly of late and it’s good to see McLaren doing well again ,Lando got some great consistency of late ,top three or thereabouts most weekends
I also recall watching that race (think it was ethier via highlights or something like that)in Texas to,that’s some serious Gs,extremely lucky to say the least
Personally think it was just about a 50/50 with the crash ,certainly one of the most aggressive starts iv seen to a gp in a long while ,Hungary could get even more spicy than Silverstone...great for Charles Leclerc although a bit disappointed not for him to have one .but still a god a result and a big improvement
Last edited by Skywatcher on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:35 pm

seven wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:23 pm
James Cutting wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm

Let's hope for a cracker in Hungary :thumb:

Rain, please. Otherwise polesitter is pretty much guaranteed the win.

Another point - I am sure they restarted Sunday on Lap 4 after the red flag when they hadn't even done 1 lap? Unless the TV was wrong...

Crash was on lap 1, red flag on lap 3. So restart was lap 4.
Yes that's true! Ah got you, cheers.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:45 pm

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull- ... lk_of_town
It’s getting interesting...Marko not backing down ..but bear in mind this is Marko talking so do take a bit of salt
Also as of yesterday..
https://www.planetf1.com/news/jos-verst ... f-contact/

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Marko needs to get off his extremely high horse and accept that these things happen. It's called RACING. He also seems not to accept that his 'wonderboy' was partly to blame. What he is trying to do is bringing the sport into disrepute, and making his team look very unsporting. Accept what happened, and move on.....Both these drivers have history, and doubtless may have more in the future. Just read long explanation by James Allison of Mercedes, who quoted from the F!A Overtaking regulations, where he pointed out that, according to the rules, which are very precise, it was absolutely Lewis's corner, and he had no reason to give way. Max, on the other hand.... It made very interesting reading. If you arrive on the inside, alongside AT THE START OF THE CORNER, and your car is substantially alongside [therefore, front axle at midpoint of the car on the outside' then the corner is yours. These are the rules!!.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:47 pm

Sitting here thinking at what did i start! :Oops:

Having watched a few clips over the last few days, my reading of both drivers actions is one who made a mistake, and one who might have made a conscious decision to cut in onto his racing line. I have to say though, i think ive missed a rule change somewhere in that if someone gets a wheel up the inside like Lewis, the defending Max has to give space.

I actually dont think Lewis was having a dive to pass, just a bit of mind games to set up a move further round the track. His mistake was maybe getting into a position where he missed his back off point, making him too fast and understeering towards Max. At the point Max would have seen Lewis, you see a move on the steering wheel in and out of the corner, then a bigger move on the steering that took him over the litter! To me, Max has 2 choices, but had the corner and was still in a good position to drive through the corner on a wide line which could have given him a bigger advantage with Lewis effectively going backwards trying to gather up his car again.

Im gladly not a fan of either driver, but in that moment, they were entertaining me because they were actually racing, and as far as i can see, the right man made it to the end while Max got his just deserts!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:12 am

My view has changed slightly but I do think still 70/30 fault to Hamilton but hey it is what it is.

I like Max - good to see a new challenger, but I cannot stand Red Bull, they're just stupidly arrogant and Helmut Marko, the less said the better
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

seven

Post by seven » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:35 am

I'd agree. But still maintain verstappen could very easily have avoided the whole thing, and gone on to take another very boring win in the process.

And yes, ever since they started winning, red bull seem to think they are gods gift to F1. Drive to Survive has some very interesting footage not shown on TV, showing how much of a fecal matter stirring cry baby horner is. Marko, well... I think the current P.C. World we live in prevents me saying my opinion on him.

I think whilst a certain team may have lost out slightly, the sport won big time on Sunday. Just a shame social media descended into football fans standards later on.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am

Yeah I guess he could have. Reading viewpoints here and replays times over has adjusted my opinion - but agreed, ever since Seb won them 4 on the bounce the seem to think they rule it all.

Give me Charles, Lando and hopefully George in a Merc - seeing those 3 and their respective teams battle it out would great :D
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am

I cannot agree more on with James and Seven re RB. I feel that the team absolutely bludgeoned the Stewards [why did the decision take so long?] into the penalty] promising all sorts of legal mayhem [which they are still thinking about] if he wasn't given one. What RB don't realise is [a] They are making fools of themselves] and losing a lot of support because of it.. I would say,, in passing, [no pun intended] that I have SOME sympathy for Horner, who has to toe the party line, after all that's his job, and if he didn't comply, he would be ousted by Fuehrer Marko!!..

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:01 am

Christian Horner coming in for much stick on Pprune. Being told to grow up etc. or get out of Formula 1. Not popular amongst other drivers, and regarded as making a bit of a fool of himself over this latest happening.

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 pm

This incident is done and dusted, it's in the history books, it would be interesting to see the reaction of Toto if roles had been reversed, exactly the same I would think.
Lets get on with the rest of the season and see what pans out, hopefully a decider in the final round.. :thumbs:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:28 pm

For now, I'm sure it'll flare up again come the press briefings on Thursday.

I'd disagree regarding Toto Wolf. He'd definitely be the far more mature of the two. And I'd say more prone to a violent solution than a legal one(think tables and lawyers :lol: )

Return to “General Chat”