Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Formula 1 2021

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Mark

Re: Formula 1.

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:47 am

seven wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am

And I would keep your BLM comments off of public forums if I were you, thats a very tight rope to be walking.
Very well said, we wouldn't want the general public thinking all spotters were inherently racist bigots... :thumb: :thumb:
Cameraless

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 am

James Cutting wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:08 am
But what I don't understand is why aren't teams being penalised for team errors?

i.e. Raikkonen in the pits into Mazepin - Team error, but Kimi takes a penalty? Seb issue - Team not putting in enough fuel or keeping on top of his fuel levels and letting him know?

Fines, docked Constructor points...shouldn't be the drivers that suffer
My view is that if teams knew they could overstep the boundaries of the technical or sporting regulations and the only penalty would be constructors points deductions or fines, then I think that’s what some teams would do in order to get their man to a World Championship. Having the world champion in your car is a big draw, possibly even more so than the constructors championship even though many manufacturers say that’s all they’re interested in.

The second thing is, the driver is a part of the team, they win or lose as one.

d555

Post by d555 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 pm

"The second thing is, the driver is a part of the team, they win or lose as one."

Unless you happen to drive for RB. Then you take 2 points away from your #2 driver ( also depriving the team of those same 2 points) just so that they can stop a rival team/driver the 1 extra point for the fastest lap.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:00 pm

tommc wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:54 am
seven wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 pm
tommc wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:43 pm
If HAM had pitted first on the 2nd formation lap then he would have been stuck behind all the other pitting cars because the Merc pit box is first.
Does beg the question though, what would have been the procedure if everyone had pitted!?
Yes, I wondered that too. Nobody on the grid when the lights go out, but cars cannot leave the pit lane until the last car has passed the pit exit line! This scenario may never even have been considered.
I think you're correct - they'd not considered this situation.

However, if they're going to change the rules to cope with this situation in the future (not that it's likely to re-occur), then I think they ought to make it such that the teams can't work on the cars from between the start of the formation lap until the start of the race proper. There is already a 30 second 'hooter' before the start of the formation lap which signifies the car must be ready to go (tyre blankets off, cooling devices removed, engine started etc), so no more work on the cars from that hooter till lights out. That would reduce the potential for everyone to dive into the pits at the end of the formation lap, effectively getting a free pit stop.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm

C24 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am
Incident, crash, call it what ....

Another change is perhaps due?
How about starting from the grid at a multiple of the time difference between each car as gained during practice? At least that way there would not be 20 cars trying to negotiate the same tiny space at one time.
It might demonstrate driving ability round the circuit not who has the biggest death wish.

🚒 🚑 🦽

Stay safe😷
Perhaps the race organisers would send a PM so that I can explain my idea a little more clearly.

Also, it seems unfair that Hamilton should be allowed to start alone on the grid. He is a wonderful driver but surely he doesn't deserve such an honour. :roll:

F1 gets more silly as the years go by.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:17 pm

Ah, but. again, the rules are rules, and he did not gain an advantage, but could have done, and all the other teams could have been out there with him. They chose not to, and that was entirely their choice. It seems that everyone wants to re-write the rules after every race these days. Like the 1 litre fuel rule, which has been around for decades. Ask Mr. Vettel. He was disqualified in 2012 for not enough fuel for a sample. It's actually three samples of a third of a litre. 1for a fuel expert at the track, 1 for an independent analysis, and one for the team to retain. This is why 1 litre is needed. RB have appealed, and say the fuel is in there somewhere, but they can't seem to get it out.!!. The F!A are falling over themselves to help them retrieve it from the car, which is not as easy as it may seem to extract.!!!!!!!!. They have actually taken possession of the car in an effort to find it!!. With a three week break till Spa, RB MAY get it back in time, or the team will have to maybe supply a new tub for that race?? The checks on fuel are done randomly, but a car stopping over the finishing line always triggers suspicion, and will be checked. The Williams cars stopped also, but they were able to supply the required fuel sample.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:17 pm
Ah, but. again, the rules are rules, and he did not gain an advantage, but could have done, and all the other teams could have been out there with him. They chose not to, and that was entirely their choice. It seems that everyone wants to re-write the rules after every race these days. Like the 1 litre fuel rule, which has been around for decades. Ask Mr. Vettel. He was disqualified in 2012 for not enough fuel for a sample. It's actually three samples of a third of a litre. 1for a fuel expert at the track, 1 for an independent analysis, and one for the team to retain. This is why 1 litre is needed. RB have appealed, and say the fuel is in there somewhere, but they can't seem to get it out.!!. The F!A are falling over themselves to help them retrieve it from the car, which is not as easy as it may seem to extract.!!!!!!!!. They have actually taken possession of the car in an effort to find it!!. With a three week break till Spa, RB MAY get it back in time, or the team will have to maybe supply a new tub for that race?? The checks on fuel are done randomly, but a car stopping over the finishing line always triggers suspicion, and will be checked. The Williams cars stopped also, but they were able to supply the required fuel sample.
Err, Seb Vettel drives for Aston Martin :Oops:

seven

Post by seven » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:39 pm

d555 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 pm
"The second thing is, the driver is a part of the team, they win or lose as one."

Unless you happen to drive for RB. Then you take 2 points away from your #2 driver ( also depriving the team of those same 2 points) just so that they can stop a rival team/driver the 1 extra point for the fastest lap.
Exactly that. I hope that will be their downfall this season, though doubt it'll matter in the end.
Red bull have never been particularly fair on their drivers, Klien, Webber, Kvyat, Sainz, Hartley, Ricciardo.. Max in no way deserved the seat he was given when he was given it, but I will say he has more than earned it since.
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:43 pm

C24 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm
C24 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am
Incident, crash, call it what ....

Another change is perhaps due?
How about starting from the grid at a multiple of the time difference between each car as gained during practice? At least that way there would not be 20 cars trying to negotiate the same tiny space at one time.
It might demonstrate driving ability round the circuit not who has the biggest death wish.

🚒 🚑 🦽

Stay safe😷
Perhaps the race organisers would send a PM so that I can explain my idea a little more clearly.

Also, it seems unfair that Hamilton should be allowed to start alone on the grid. He is a wonderful driver but surely he doesn't deserve such an honour. :roll:

F1 gets more silly as the years go by.
F1 would be more of a parade with this kind of "idea". Don't think it's got more silly at all. More people's mindsets have changed...
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Plmc. Of course!!. Silly me. Must have been confused by seeing him so far up the results!!. :) [ I did know it ,of course. Slip of the mind]. :) Cheers

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 pm

Read on another forum that everybody may have broken the rules on the restart, apart from Hamilton. Imagine that?! 😂

The FIA, rule 51.11

"51.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car a message “STANDING START” will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, all FIA light panels will display “SS” and the car's orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the Competitors and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
Once the safety car has entered the pit lane all cars, with the exception of those that were in their garage at the time the sprint qualifying session or the race was suspended (see Article 41. 40.3), must return to the grid, take up their grid positions and follow the procedures set out in Articles 36.10 to 36.15."

Imagine the uproar if that was the case.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm

But it wasn't a safety car so reading that is incorrect. It was a race restart, so out to the grid, formation lap (and you can pit to change, equalling the fact you must start from the end of the pit)
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm
But it wasn't a safety car so reading that is incorrect. It was a race restart, so out to the grid, formation lap (and you can pit to change, equalling the fact you must start from the end of the pit)
I was driving home from work during the race, so only listened to it on the radio, so sounds like some Hamilton fans have got a bit over excited then! 😂

I should watch the highlights, sounded like an exciting race so should have been good to watch as well.

Edit: Just read on Formula1.com that the safety car did lead the cars out of the pits for the restart but peeled off before the grid formation (of one!), which seems to contradict the regulation I copied and pasted, but I’m sure the teams and FIA know what they’re doing.

I don’t envy them trying to interpret and stay within the rules though.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ozYN5.html

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 am

seven wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am
2e1var wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 am
Despite his efforts on Sunday I think Bottas will swap with Russell next year. Despite his performances Hamilton is nearing the end of his career, be good to have Russell at the team for the new car regs and getting used to work with them ahead of Lewis' departure. Unlike Bottas, who let's be honest is a perfect team mate for Lewis, I think Russell will be on par with him very quickly and possibly speed up Hamiltons departure from the sport. Delighted for Williams btw.
Agree totally. Not sure on Bottas to Williams though, would they even want him!?

They may not but I think Toto will want to look after him, he's been a loyal team mate for Lewis and helped him out numerous times. He bent over backwards for Ocon although I think he was much younger. I'm not sure what sway Toto has at Williams these days nor what their financial situation is. Historically they would have had to take a pay driver in recent years but I guess Toto can give them incentives with the Merc engine so it may be in their best interests to do so. Off the top off my head I can't see any stand out drivers in the Merc Junior programme, I'd think as soon as Russell steps up they'd be wanting to have the next inline ready to go. I'm a big Lewis fan and I think Russell would seriously challenge him, be great for the sport.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:20 am

It would be great for the sport, certainly, but it woudn't be what Mercedes want, and that is probably the bottom line. Lewis, {I'm a fan of course} will inevitably face a decline in his skill, and that will be the opening for George, but it sure ain't happening yet!.

seven

Post by seven » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 am

I disagree there, I'm sure the Lewis we have right now is not the same guy pre-covid. The last race just adds to that. To me he's definitely on the down hill, still above most if not everyone, but most definitely on the downward slope.
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 am

Decline comes with age, so he may be going downhill. I can vouch for that. 80 next year,[if I make it!] and my wife says I'm definitely on the slippery slope. Lewis has got a good couple of years yet, although I suspect he will retire when/if he achieves his eighth Championship.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 am

I am not super knowledgeable on F1 drivers but am not a big fan of Russell as I think he comes over as arrogant. Any driver in a Merc without Hamilton as team mate would be world champion ( maybe the redbull has changed that for this year?).

Lando is my main man but he has signed an extension at McLaren.

Still a few years left for Lewis at the top in my opinion - 10 up!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:52 am

If Russell is arrogant then what about the other half the grid?! World Champions are made up of it otherwise they simply wouldn't achieve that status, they've got that trait along with so much self belief to be the best, otherwise they simply wouldn't.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:23 am

Slogen. Yes, Lando has an extension, but these days, contracts sometimes don't mean a thing. I agree with you, Lando has all the makings of future World Champion. Lets hope Spa sees a straight forward race with everyone making the first corner

Return to “General Chat”